bf-blender -- alternate zoom behavior *UPDATED*

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

meestaplu

bf-blender -- alternate zoom behavior *UPDATED*

Post by meestaplu »

I decided that I didn't like the way Blender's zoom works, so I wrote an alternate method. It works like scaling the view -- moving the mouse away from the window center zooms in, and moving toward the center zooms out. I haven't completely adjusted the speed, but it seems fairly good to me. I don't think that my method should be the only zooming method; I like the normal zoom for a lot of applications. I intend this zoom to be an alternate, like the two rotation types, trackball and turntable. Go ahead and give it a try if you're running Windows; tell me what you think.

Matt

<edit> I have released a patch that includes a zoom for 2D windows identical to my 3D window zoom change. Also, I have coded a user preference that is visible in the View & Controls menu that allows you to switch back and forth between the old zoom and my zoom.

The Link: www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/pref.diff
Last edited by meestaplu on Tue May 25, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I love vector calculus at 4 in the morning.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

him could you release a patch?

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

I have released a patch using cvs diff -u; it is up at www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/view.diff . The only changes are to blender/source/blender/src/view.c.

Matt

<edit> Period . removed from link; it now works without annoying editing.
Last edited by meestaplu on Mon May 17, 2004 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madcello

Post by madcello »

I don't dislike it at all !!
I've a proposal for the old one to complement this one!
When you zoom with the mouse wheel, the mouse position gives the center of the zoom (betheen zoom and pan), intead of that perpendicular zoom!

What do you think? :)

theeth

Post by theeth »

madcello wrote:I don't dislike it at all !!
I've a proposal for the old one to complement this one!
When you zoom with the mouse wheel, the mouse position gives the center of the zoom (betheen zoom and pan), intead of that perpendicular zoom!

What do you think? :)
That wouldn't be user friendly at all, you'd have to put the mouse exactly in the middle to zoom on the center of the view. That wouldn't bother much in orthogonic view, but it perspective view it would easily create a mess.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

madcello

Post by madcello »

Maybe don't explain well.
I was thinking in a Paint Shop Pro wheel behaviour. You think it will be worse?

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

theeth wrote:That wouldn't be user friendly at all, you'd have to put the mouse exactly in the middle to zoom on the center of the view. That wouldn't bother much in orthogonic view, but it perspective view it would easily create a mess.
I agree completely, Martin. Such a zoom would be very imprecise, and potentially confusing. I created this zoom to increase precision, not to decrease it. When you consider that it is just as easy to move the 3D cursor and hit CKEY to center the view, Madcello's proposal becomes redundant.

Matt

wavk

Post by wavk »

Hi all,

I've followed this topic with great interest, about a week ago I started coding the talked about zoom to mouse cursor. I'm almost finished, it's just not working as I want yet, but I am close.

theeth: It doesn't get messy at all, believe me. It's in LightWave as well, and it's completely like you think it will work and saves you a lot of dragging around of the window. And really, why would you ever want to zoom to the center except if your center of interest is there?

It's really intuitive, I think people move the mouse cursor automatically to the point they want to zoom to.

I hope to finish this feature today, so we can test instead of speculate :D

madcello

Post by madcello »

Very good!! :D

I usually work with autocad and it as this zoom also. It really gives faster results (not because it's autocad).
If it's not pushing to hard, instead of Panning with Shitf+ MMB and Rotate view with MMB pressed, it would be nice to switch these 2 features.
Then, with just the right hand, we have zoom and pan, i think these 2 are more used than rotate view.

I know it's just a detail, but what do you think?

wavk

Post by wavk »

Well it won't be finished today, anyhow, I just can't get Blender to compile anymore...

theeth

Post by theeth »

madcello wrote:If it's not pushing to hard, instead of Panning with Shitf+ MMB and Rotate view with MMB pressed, it would be nice to switch these 2 features.
You can already do that.
Info Window
View & Controls
Pan View option

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

madcello

Post by madcello »

You're amazing! :D
I was not asking for you to program that, just your opinion!
There's other software that work like this, and i think it's more productive.

But since you are doing that, let me know your test opinion!!

p.s. - Can't help you with the compile thing.

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

First of all, what exactly is the Paint Shop Pro wheel behavior? As I don't use that program, I cannot comment further without a description. If it is the same as the zoom in on mouse cursor idea, I'm against it. However, I am willing to try out the feature now that someone else has coded it.

In other news, I am currently working on extending my zoom code to 2D windows. The functions that deal with that are a huge mess, though, so it might take some time.

Matt

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

I just gave this a try, and I like the precision a lot more already! I'd stopped using Ctrl to zoom (using mouse wheel instead) since it's almost useless, but this is way better.

There's one thing I really don't like though - if you start dragging the mouse from the right side of the screen towards the centre, the view zooms out, all well and good. However as soon as the mouse pointer crosses the centre of the screen, it starts zooming in! This feels really unnatural - It seems it's based on the distance of the mouse pointer to the centre of the screen, but generally, that's not what's on a user's mind when they're zooming, orbiting, whatever. The action should be dependent on the gesture, not the specific location of the mouse pointer. i.e. "drag mouse left to rotate left". Having the action change while the user is still performing the gesture is pretty confusing to me (at least compared with the way Blender does everything else). This also means that the only way to zoom out really far is to try and aim for the centre of the screen, which is really annoying when you keep missing the centre and it starts zooming in again.

Would it be possible to make it so that when the mouse crosses the centre of the view, it just continues zooming in whatever direction you originally started in?

madcello

Post by madcello »

Thank you theeth!!
Very nice tip!! :D