bf-blender -- alternate zoom behavior *UPDATED*

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

I have now released a patch for 2D views using cvs diff -u; it is up at www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/drawipo.diff . The only changes are to blender/source/blender/src/drawipo.c.

It seems to have issues with the OOPS window when that window is not "maximized," i.e. when it doesn't take up the whole screen because of Ctrl+Up Arrow. While the center is read correctly when the OOPS window is maximized, the center seems to be offset up when not maximized. Any ideas as to why that is happening?

Matt
I love vector calculus at 4 in the morning.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

theeth wrote:
madcello wrote:If it's not pushing to hard, instead of Panning with Shitf+ MMB and Rotate view with MMB pressed, it would be nice to switch these 2 features.
You can already do that.
Info Window
View & Controls
Pan View option

Martin

I've always felt that this option is backwards. The default action for the middle mouse button should be pan. Simply because everywhere else in the program it functions this way, it only makes sense.

TorQ

theeth

Post by theeth »

That's because all the other windows are 2D, they can't rotate anyway.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

That doesn't change the fact. Its still inconsistant to have the default rotate.

TorQ

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

TorQ wrote:That doesn't change the fact. Its still inconsistant to have the default rotate.
Since you think it's inconsistent, change it in your user preferences. I think it works perfectly fine, as does Martin, so we leave it how it is. It's quite simple, actually.

Matt

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

LOOK, I KNOW how to set this preference just fine but for people who are new to the software it doesn't make sense to be inconsistent with something as basic as this. My point is, make it consistent and YOU change it in preferences. I find it interesting that you would go so far as to change the zoom function, something that seems to work just fine, something that EVERYONE is used to working a certain way, yet are against the idea of changing something that is fundamentally INCORRECT with the program. Interesting.

TorQ

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

TorQ wrote:I find it interesting that you would go so far as to change the zoom function, something that seems to work just fine, something that EVERYONE is used to working a certain way, yet are against the idea of changing something that is fundamentally INCORRECT with the program. Interesting.
Actually, if you try my zoom function, you may find it easier to use and more consistent with the behaviour of translating the view. My zoom function behaves as if you are scaling the view, which is arguably much intuitive than the previous "flying zoom." Perhaps you should try my zoom function before commenting on it.

Matt

theeth

Post by theeth »

There's a point where being consistant has no point.

Pretty much all the hotkeys and mouse clicks are window specific and context sensitive, I really don't see what sets the middle mouse click in the 3D view asside to make it "fundamentally INCORRECT".

Martin
- John Lennon

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

I think TorQ has a point. Switch the defaults!

theeth

Post by theeth »

If consistency breaks practical use, use your logic and choose practical use. As far as I'm concerned and as far as I know, rotating the viewport is a more frequent operation than panning the viewport. Which is why it is by default the function that you can use without modifier keys.

While you're looking for consitency issues, you could also note that the mousehweel in the button window pans the window along its alignmenent axis. Why? Because once you fit the panels in your window, panning is a more frequent function than zooming. That gives easy access to panels that don't fit in the window.

Martin
- John Lennon

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Well, you're assuming orbiting is more used than panning. Well that sort of depends, if you work with one big single 3D view alot then you probably orbit a bit more often, but if you use several 3D views (Front, Top, Side etc) then you probably use pan more than orbit.

theeth

Post by theeth »

That's why it's a user option.

Martin
- John Lennon

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

I've got to agree with theeth here - orbit is used a heck of a lot more than than panning and is more important - it's practical. I don't think the consistency argument is valid, because the two things you're talking about are not the same. panning a 2D window is like scrolling (just like in windows or whatever OS you use). The action is moving a fixed bit of content up and down (or side to side) to reveal more of it.

However the 3D View is quite different, they're both technically and conceptually different tasks. In the 3D View, you're not moving the content, you're moving your own viewpoint. This is quite a difference - you're not revealing a new part of the scene by moving it into place, you're moving your own eyes within the virtual space, which also means that when you pan, there are perspective effects. Go into perspective mode and look in the front view at the default cube - it's a square. Then pan left and right, and you see the sides of it - not the same as scrolling!

There's a large enough difference between panning in the 3D View and scrolling that I think it shouldn't cause a problem - when two different keys or buttons are used to do the same action, that's confusing, but these are two different actions, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

meestaplu

Post by meestaplu »

(Bump for update; see first post in the thread.)

arangel

Post by arangel »

[quote="broken"]The action should be dependent on the gesture, not the specific location of the mouse pointer. i.e. "drag mouse left to rotate left". [quote]
I agree 100% with that. I believe that most 3D apps function this way.
Alexandre Rangel
Multimedia Designer
www.3Dzine.com.br