tuhopuu / windows LSCM update 2004/05/26

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bjornmose

tuhopuu / windows LSCM update 2004/05/26

Post by bjornmose » Wed May 26, 2004 1:15 am

new experimental build for windooze
/* again: required dlls and stuff is not included */
(also commited to tuhopuu CVS tree)
added menues to UV editor for:
pinning ( windooze users may know )
launching LSCM

new feature:
live mode for moving pinned UVs doing LSCM "online" (go to "grab" for a pinned UV and toggle with LKEY)
be aware : LSCM takes some CPU so lagging should be expected!

windows build should become visible here (tuhopuuNG/* build date*/ .zip)
http://home.t-online.de/home/wund.five/tuhopuu_devel/

some personal remarks:
i was dissapointed by the "discussion culture" on the previous thread.
some came up with "multiple UV channels" ; OK may be an issue? dunno, .. don't want to pick it up here..
BUT: we are focussing on to get "things we are working on" nice,
hmm.. i felt things went "off-topic"
may be you 'd be so kind to keep in mind we are tackeling "one after the other "
and i am not satisfied with the workflow as it is.
so ... be constructive !

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate » Wed May 26, 2004 2:48 am

I am totally amazed at how far you have brought our UV Map tools, and I am very greatful for the hard work you have put into it. Thses latest additions are going to make my life alot easier. :D

dmao

Post by dmao » Wed May 26, 2004 4:01 am

yeaa... you're right. I apologize for my part in it. :oops: It's somewhere on broken's to-do list and that's good enough for me.

Now on-topic, LSCM and the new live updating is great! Bjornmoose, thank you very much for the effort you've put into the UV Editor! I've tested it out and found a few issues though, so here goes:

If only one point is pinned and you drag it with LSCM live on, all vertices converge on that one point. Ok, so there's no reason to pin just one point, but people will no doubt try it while learning the feature (I did :)) and it's a bit of work to get correct mapping again.

In the UV editor, canceling LSCM live mapping with ESC changes mapping to LSCM unwrap regardless of previous mapping.

UV seams are ignored for some editmode operations like duplication and remove doubles, though I suppose that's more because it's a WIP.

And a few suggestions,

I think using Alt-P for Unpin would be more consistent with clearing other attributes (Like Alt-G for clear location, Alt-S for clear scale) and a bit easier to reach on the keyboard as well.

Also, it'd be useful if the CTRL-E menu defaulted to the last used option like the SHIFT-S snap menu.

And finally, it'd be great if the proportional editing icon would show up in UV Editor header like in does the 3d view.

Hope this has been helpful and thanks again :)

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose » Wed May 26, 2004 2:24 pm

dmao wrote: In the UV editor, canceling LSCM live mapping with ESC changes mapping to LSCM unwrap regardless of previous mapping.
fixed in CVS
dmao wrote: UV seams are ignored for some editmode operations like duplication and remove doubles, though I suppose that's more because it's a WIP.
and other surprises /* try subdividing a mesh with pinned UV */ :shock:

thanks, for the hint, seems the new tface flags need a little more care

bm

nozzy

Post by nozzy » Thu May 27, 2004 11:58 am

The live function is just great and so useful. But when
working on an UV Island thats been pinned and then use
the live mode the other Islands in the mapping all scale up
to fill the UV workspace.

Its maybe me missing something, or do all the
Islands have to have some pinning to hold there position.

Keep up the great work guys :D

/nozzy

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose » Thu May 27, 2004 2:18 pm

nozzy wrote:But when
working on an UV Island thats been pinned and then use
the live mode the other Islands in the mapping all scale up
to fill the UV workspace.

Its maybe me missing something, or do all the
Islands have to have some pinning to hold there position.

Keep up the great work guys :D

/nozzy
there is no difference between manualy launching LSCM
and the liveLSCM function, but it is called every mouse move.
So all selected islands are remapped.

there are two ideas contradicting another.
1. no pinning: so do automatic scaling and packing on the UV plane
This invokes pinning two UVs per island automaticaly and somtimes results in strange orientations of the maps.

2. do pinning: have the position of pinned UVs fixed in UV space .
The packing algo would move pinned UVs around arbitarily and live mode would be impossible.

The way it is now: one (selected) island pinned turns packing off,
so unpinned islands are normalized to [0..1][0..1] thus blowing up to entire UV map.

To avoid this you can (as you said ) pin all islands.

When i try to think of a packer that cares for a random set of pinned and unpinnd islands, regards islands relative sizes and still makes optimum use of available UV space .... it clearly becomes a project i am not sure if it is worth the effort, when the user can adjust the layout with a few clicks.

BM

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Thu May 27, 2004 2:42 pm

I'm sorry, but what is the point of the live LSCM function? What would I use it for? Just being curious, I tried it out but it seems to just siply take the island you have selected and apply LSCM mapping to it, exactly like going to Unwrap UVs>LSCM. When in Live mode I cannot move any UVs. What's the deal?

leon

Post by leon » Thu May 27, 2004 3:16 pm

you need to pin some vertices first.

So do a basic unwrap (LSCM or "from window" etc), then pin some vertices.

Now select one of your pinned vertices, G to grab, then toggle live updating on...

Personally, I think it's awesome!

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Thu May 27, 2004 3:33 pm

Woah, now I get it! That's incredible! The Do LSCM function is nice too! These are unbeliavable tools.

Maybe it should be made more clear the the Live LSCM mode only works for pinned UVs, though. It wasn't quite strainght forward to use.

EDIT: Do LSCM only seems to work with pinned UVs too. Why? I would like to be able to just select Suzannes ear in the UV window and LSCM map that part locally withouth having to select everything else and pinning it. I could be solved by including a Select Inverse command in the Select menu so that I could select the ear, Select Inverse, Pin, Select Inverse, Do LSCM.

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Thu May 27, 2004 11:33 pm

It's a real nice new uvw mapping feature, but how exactly can I use it? I tried it many times, but I couldn't get a nice unwrap. When I try to unwrap something with the new feature, it looks disorted. Is there a little tutorial on how to use it? :?

dmao

Post by dmao » Mon May 31, 2004 6:49 am

jd-multi wrote:It's a real nice new uvw mapping feature, but how exactly can I use it? I tried it many times, but I couldn't get a nice unwrap. When I try to unwrap something with the new feature, it looks disorted. Is there a little tutorial on how to use it? :?
Hi there. I found this while looking for LSCM info on google (!!)
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/lukep_test.323.0.html

The short version: you need to make seams in editmode (CTRL-E) to control the unwrapping.

lukep

Post by lukep » Mon May 31, 2004 1:41 pm

dmao wrote: Hi there. I found this while looking for LSCM info on google (!!)
Argh! It's unpublished for a good reason. It's not finished !
I will publish it quickly though, and it will be available in the changes since 2.33 section

I still need to explain how to use pinning

leon

Post by leon » Mon May 31, 2004 2:14 pm

hehe, your "unpublished" page is the number one google hit for "lscm uv mapping" !!!

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:08 am

Hi, does anybody have any feedback for the modified number button behaviour in tuhopuu? (info: http://www.blender.org/pipermail/tuhopu ... 00930.html )

I'd like to put it in bf-blender along with phase's mousewheel support, but haven't heard any opinions yet. Cheers.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:55 pm

Broken: Great, but you have to click too close the the middle of the buttons to activate them. The area should be bigger. I suggest you set a fixed distance so that the dragging covers just the arrows, and no further (ok, maybe insert slight margin). Instead of saying 1/3rd from the button edge, give it a fixed distance, just like the arrow itself, if you see what I mean.