bf-blender / windows ATI slow ui fix

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

alien-xmp

bf-blender / windows ATI slow ui fix

Post by alien-xmp »

Hi all,

This compile is supposed to fix the infamous UI slowdown on ATI graphics cards.

http://download.blender.org/demo/test/b ... 1May04.zip

Notes:
It is compiled with SSE enabled - a Pentium 3/4/M or Athlon XP is required. It will crash with an invalid instruction if you haven't got one.

Report issues etc here, even if you don't have an ATI - I don't want to break other cards!

Bensloth

Post by Bensloth »

THNAKYOU SO MUCH! :!: :!: this has worked perfectly for me! it does not slwo down at all now :D ty so much, before i was so frustrated about the time i had to wait just to get onto the matierals section etc. TY TY TY!!!! all praise alien-xmp (for the moment) :p no offence to god there.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

so, umm, what was the problem that this fixes?

I mean: what caused the ati bug?

it doesn't seem to slow down
(I guess I get to get used to new zoom if I decide to use that build, or look for the option to use old zoom)

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp »

I just replaced all the glFinish calls with glFlush.

glFlush causes all gl commands that are waiting to be sent to the gpu to be rendered - it's needed when drawing to the front buffer so that the gpu knows when the frame has finished.
glFinish is basically the same as glFlush, except that it waits for the gpu to finish rendering.

Dani

Post by Dani »

good news: OpenGl is 13% faster on Gforce3-Ti200
Should we test further? do you have an idea of something that could go wrong and that should be tested further on?
Anyway, Good job!

Dani

A2597

Post by A2597 »

z3r0_d wrote:so, umm, what was the problem that this fixes?

I mean: what caused the ati bug?

it doesn't seem to slow down
(I guess I get to get used to new zoom if I decide to use that build, or look for the option to use old zoom)
the problem was that with drivers newer then cat 3.9s, blender would start to slow down. after about five minutes using blender there was a 3-5 second delay for any command to take effect.
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

Yfkar

Post by Yfkar »

At least for me this improved the GUI usability a lot. The GUI doesn't seem to slow down anymore the same way.

Other than that, there's still a slowdown in Blender. I tested repeating benchmark with one of my projects. At first the fps were at 60, then 55, 52, 46... until it was only 22. Also, when I click a slider button, the button doesn't go down until I've moved the mouse. It isn't too serious but it surely doesn't feel natural.

Anyway, keep up the good work! :wink:

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp »

Yfkar: What model graphics card are you using?

Yfkar

Post by Yfkar »

Connect3D Radeon 9600XT.

dl

Better performance here, too

Post by dl »

FWIW: This version improved performance on my system, too.

CPU: P3/320MB/Win98SE
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 PCI/SSE/64MB
Driver: 45.23 (OpenGL was trashed in newer versions)
OpenGL: 1.4.0

thoro

Post by thoro »

Good to see that the problem is analysed now - thank you!

Your compile runs on my machine (Pentium 4 - Windows XP - Club Radeon 9200 - Catalyst 4.5) and is a bit faster compared to standard 2.33a atioglxx.dll :D (also measured by benchmark). I repeated the benchmark test to see if it starts to slow down and it kept stable.

BUT: rendering is slower and takes longer to start compared to 2.33a with atioglxx.dll. And resizing of screen areas (for example pulldown of the user preferences area) is sloooooow now.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Thorsten

P.S. I think I will never get used to this new zoom behaviour :( In Germany, we call this a 'Verschlimmbesserung' - improving something making it worse for most of the users :wink:

Yfkar

Post by Yfkar »

Tried the trick at http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23964 with Catalyst 3.9 and now Blender works well. :)

grasfresser

Post by grasfresser »

Hello,
i had the slow down problem too, with my ATI AIW 9000pro.
I replaced the files with the one above, and at first glance, it worksjust perfectly, no slow down, the benchmark gained from 600 to 800,
the top user interface is not slower while pulling down, everything seems just top! Now lets work with it........
Thx to alien-xmp! :D

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

i had some problems with this build/ i have just copied all the files in the blender directory. when starting the game engine, crashed often

hanzo

Post by hanzo »

hehe, just what the doctor ordered, to fix this angziety problem that almost led to a nervise break down, and suicied of my blender pastiance...

thanks for hiting this out at use alien-xmp, now maybe I can start posting some of my blender works on the forums. ;) :twisted:

PS: I have to start testing it now :idea: