bf-blender / Windows (2004/06/18) - Patched with Softbodies

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

intrr

Post by intrr » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:52 pm

pildanovak: it does work with armature deformed meshes, just don't ask me how, I don't remember. See http://blender.instinctive.de/downloads ... c/robe.avi

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:59 pm

awesome! This tool sometimes crashes but it's useful!
I think we could have Rigid Bodies if we could set the 'Elasticity 'value to '0' without any deformations bugs. Some Wind and other environmental paramaters would be great!
Thanks!
Last edited by lucky3 on Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmao

Post by dmao » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:59 pm

Very cool, can't wait till this feature is mature and ready for production! Great work intrr and jesterKing!

About the Ext Coll button crash, intrr's blend file works fine. I've figured out that the crash doesn't happen if you do things in this exact order: :)

1) Add the Soft effect
2) Click on Dynamic
3) Click on Ext Coll
4) Type in your DeformOb
5) Set your start and end frames

The effect seems about the same with and without Ext Coll, so maybe it's not actually being applied? More likely I just dunno how to use it :)

And jesterKing, any chance the Depth of Field from instinctive blender could be ported? It's something that's badly needed and would prolly make it into BF blender pretty quick. Thanks

intrr

Post by intrr » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:09 pm

dmao:

Ext Coll should get applied, and JesterKing showed me a render that clearly shows that it works in his build. You must have done something wrong, but that's obvious without any documentation on a complex feature ;)

What do you mean by "it doesn't get applied"? The external moving object just goes through the soft body? Note that the normals need to point in the right direction (I think the collider must point its normals towards the soft body)...

I'll write documentation on all this when I have time...

Oh, and about the bug. It seems to occur only when the effect is used in a manner that I've never imagined someone might ever use it :)

intrr

Post by intrr » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:11 pm

P.D.: Ext Coll enables you, like its tooltip says, to have EXTERNAL (other) objects move and collide (and have this detected) with the softbody mesh. Normally, ONLY the movement of the SOFT MESH is evaluated for collision.

About the hysteresis that builds up when using low elasticity values: Heck, I have no idea what the problem is. Someone with a deeper understanding of math should look into it.

intrr

Post by intrr » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:16 pm

Another random comment: The stiffness of a mesh also depends on its density. To simulate a rigid body, a simple subdivided cube won't do, as it will simulate a _hollow_ cube, made of a sheet of paper around it. To simulate a _solid_ cube, you need a _solid_ mesh, i.e., extrude the subdivided cube inwards a few times.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:51 pm

dmao wrote:And jesterKing, any chance the Depth of Field from instinctive blender could be ported? It's something that's badly needed and would prolly make it into BF blender pretty quick. Thanks
I've ported it already for myself, just need to put out a build :) I'll do that tomorrow.

/jesterKing

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 pm

Hi Jesterking,

realy enjoying playing with soft bodies :D its fun, can't wait for dof.

Thanks mate

Ken

http://www.freewebs.com/kenblending/blo ... 50.avi.zip

a litle play with soft body, please copy and past link sorry!

My Site if yer interested! http://www.freewebs.com/kenblending/

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:40 pm

intrr:
pildanovak: it does work with armature deformed meshes, just don't ask me how, I don't remember.
Yes it works nicely with the dynamic effect, and also with the others this way. but what i meant was not to apply the "armatured" mesh as a deformer, but as the source for the effect, thus the deformed object. this would be a nonsense for the dynamic softbody(cloth), because it works with the time, but not for the other two(collision and field)

the selected objects in the picture are children of the armature and have the effect at the same time. as you see, it doesn't work. But if the input of the effect would be simply not the original, but the armature deformed mesh...

intrr

Post by intrr » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:00 pm

Ah, I see what you mean... you want to deform the already-deformed mesh with an armature or similar.

Right now I can't think well enough to tell you if it's possible or not. Heh.

@ner

Post by @ner » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:23 pm

chimera

Post by chimera » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:43 pm

lets get this stuff in tuhopuu2 or something. like this I could provide some builds too..

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:20 pm

Is there a way to get more than one object to interact with the Soft effect? Only one seems a bit too limiting...

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:25 pm

I think he means Zip file instead of tar.gz, winzip can open tar.gz i think.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:38 am

I have a sketchy recollection on cloth simulation in other 3d apps that I have played with. I'm testing out this new feature. So far I have run basic cloth drops and drapes on object test. This cloth simulation feature has been very stable and fast during my test.

You guys have done a superb job with this one!

Do you have plans to add things like "pinning", "stitching", "seams", etc. for controlling and containing the cloth simulations? Someone said something about adding "Wind" effect features. But I was thinking of more detailed gravity control parameters that work to constrain the dynamic movement of "pinned",etc. cloth simulations along an axis, etc.

That's all I can think of right now.

Blend on!