bf-blender / Windows (2004/06/18) - Patched with Softbodies

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

intrr

Post by intrr » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:38 pm

Ja-Forreal:

Thanks for the positive remarks. Oh well, I really just added the cloth simulation as a stupid experiment... It started out with the "Field" effect because I found metaballs too limiting concerning shapes, so I wanted to be able to use any mesh with meta-like effects.

The cloth stuff I just added when I stumbled about a family-with-dog-and-wife-and-kids-homepage where a mathematics student or something talked about the "spring model", so i thought, hmmmm.. I could try to add it :)

You can already "pin" the cloth to a mesh by enclosing some of its vertices in a closed shape in another mesh.

chimera

Post by chimera » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:38 pm

I really like the implementation of the pinfeature!

now some stuff I would like to have in there (wishlist ;))

> multible objects to colide with
> a nice idea that could be implemented! (by Koba in this topic http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=3875)
Another idea would be to set bounds so only the cloth renders even if underneath the surface of the object. In terms of raytracing this would mean that if the cloth and object intersections were within a certain distance, only the cloth would render.
cu guys
btw: this is getting more and more a dev. topic. y not continue it in "interface and tools"?

thoro

Post by thoro » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:07 pm

...wow, one weekend away from blender.org and I'm missing THIS!

Great work - I'm currently rendering my first test and I'm looking forward to see this tool in a Blender release.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:35 pm

intrr wrote:Ja-Forreal:

Thanks for the positive remarks. Oh well, I really just added the cloth simulation as a stupid experiment... It started out with the "Field" effect because I found metaballs too limiting concerning shapes, so I wanted to be able to use any mesh with meta-like effects.

The cloth stuff I just added when I stumbled about a family-with-dog-and-wife-and-kids-homepage where a mathematics student or something talked about the "spring model", so i thought, hmmmm.. I could try to add it :)

You can already "pin" the cloth to a mesh by enclosing some of its vertices in a closed shape in another mesh.
Hey, I do that sometimes. I start with one thing in mind. Then I stumble over something new on a web link that I can fit into my project. I work with female 3d characters and the web yields so much useful info in this area. A lot of my finds have to do with modeling, clothing, music and dance culture.

I never know what idea will come from what resource.

Thanks for the pinning tip. I'm looking forward to seeing and using anything that you come up with for this great project.

Who's online in this project with you from the Blender community? I know Theeth, ZAZ and Harkyman are powerful in the area of dynamics for Blender.

Blend on!

intrr

Post by intrr » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:08 am

Actually, I do most projects alone and I'm not too involved in the community itself... I sometimes release the source of instinctive-blender though :)

So far, I guess if you have any questions concerning the cloth/softbody stuff, just ask away here in the thread...

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:18 am

Come on then wheres this build with DOF you promised jesterking. :D

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:57 am

leinad13 wrote:Come on then wheres this build with DOF you promised jesterking. :D
the linux build already's got it (just search)... I'll wait a bit with the DOF for the windows build, since there are also efforts for DOF in the sequencer, and essentially it is a postpro. Don't want to do duplicate efforts here ;)

/jesterKing

modron

Post by modron » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:00 am

just noticed this. coolio! and where's that dof? :P

chimera

Post by chimera » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:51 am

select the camera you want to use and go to the editbuttons I think. there you'll find a box called "dof" ;)

btw. the autofocus function really owns! this is would be a great addition to the bf-blender featurelist :)

dante

Post by dante » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:18 pm

DOF in a windoze build (at least to toy with!) and some mirrors of your previous build would be sweet.

dante

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:43 pm

Owwwwww :( I was looking forward to playing with DOF in windows owwwwww boo hoo sob wahhhh

Ken

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:40 pm

can you release a patch file so I can build OSX versions ?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:41 pm

Money_YaY! wrote:can you release a patch file so I can build OSX versions ?
I can, but you'll have to wait until the weekend, when my holidays finaly start :)

/jesterKing

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:21 pm

is there a reason to use tars?
it is not windows standard and I am still searching for a free and easy tool to extract them.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:44 pm

SamAdam wrote:is there a reason to use tars?
it is not windows standard and I am still searching for a free and easy tool to extract them.
Until now all windows tools I've used are familiar with the tar format. At least for the unpacking, but most of them do also tarring and gzipping.

/jesterKing