bf-blender / Windows (2004/07/09) + Texture Ipo patch

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jesterKing
Site Admin

bf-blender / Windows (2004/07/09) + Texture Ipo patch

Post by jesterKing »

Hi,

a new build with cool stuff. Some of the following points were already in, but I name them nonetheless :)

http://www.letwory.net/cvsbuilds/bf_ble ... 709.tar.gz

* weighted creases for subsurfs (Chris McFarlen + Ton)
* color picker
* yafray plugin support (see older threads for yafray)
* deflectors/forcefields for particles
* animated static particles for deformed meshes
* more!

I have been working on making texture vars available for Ipo'ing. This build is patched with that work, which is NOT yet in CVS (and is now under review with committers list), so don't do anything important with this... yet. Anyway. You can add Texture Ipos when you've got an object selected that's got a texture assigned. Go to Ipoview, select the texture view from the menu, select the channel you want to work with, and CTRL-LMB adds new curve/vertex(if curve already exists).

Enjoy!

/jesterKing
Last edited by jesterKing on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

really, can someone tell be quantitatively why everyone uses .tar.gz for windows builds? i took the downloaded and un gzip'd files, and zipped them and got a 2.81 MB file, the original is 3.23 MB. thats as big difference!

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

For those who want to test the texture ipos too on other platforms:

http://www.letwory.net/downloads/ipo_texture.patch

/jesterKing

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

SamAdam wrote:really, can someone tell be quantitatively why everyone uses .tar.gz for windows builds?
1) I'm used to using this;
2) call it lazyness;
3) you really can't let it go, can you?

/jesterKing

A2597

Post by A2597 »

winace that thing. :) As an aced exe it would still be smaller, and then everyone could unzip it. :D
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

oyster

Post by oyster »

bug?
launch blender
goto material buttons
start a colorpicker
change the R to 1 by kbd

RGB and V all change to 1

win2k with sp4

gabio

Post by gabio »

a jester, you've been faster than me on this one. :) joking. just saw the commi tlog when i got back home and i'm pleased to see weighted creases finaly in!. Cool, 2.34 will be full of cool stuff, but wait; we'r still at b-con 2. new stuff migh get in.
SamAdam wrote:really, can someone tell be quantitatively why everyone uses .tar.gz for windows builds? i took the downloaded and un gzip'd files, and zipped them and got a 2.81 MB file, the original is 3.23 MB. thats as big difference!
Why? because it's standard in a platfore near you like linux. Why it's used for windows(me pointing at jesterking)... as zip is standard. Personaly i would use ace but i know pp don't have it.
A2597 wrote:winace that thing. icon_smile.gif As an aced exe it would still be smaller, and then everyone could unzip it. icon_biggrin.gif
Do! :x i never though about this one. i'll take note for next time.

(edit) after some testing. Well it's a place where ipo was needed after the major texture add. the only thing that bug me it the preview. if only it could update as you move the time cursor in ipo windows.(or with alt-a) 'cause after some time i would like to see what the effect would look like animated. it's buggin me to click on the slider every time (though i know a realtime render of the previews on procedural might be cpu-expenive). There is the same issus in material. maybe a button next to the preview window with a locker icon to make update the preview in realtime?

crsrma

Post by crsrma »

I'm getting a crash when performing a separate command on a mesh with isolated groups of vertices.

Example: 2 cubes joined as one object but not sharing vertices, I go to separate one of the cubes & blender crashes.

edit: I'm not sure if that example will replicate the crash, it's just to give you some idea.

Also, a new line is showing up in DOS prompt:
Shortname = 'C:\PROGRA~1\BLENDE~1\CVS\LATEST\BLENDER.EXE'
This isn't the case with previous test builds in same directory or the official build.

Running OS: Windows 98 SE

@ner

Post by @ner »

wheeee! new build thanks JK

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

crsrma wrote:I'm getting a crash when performing a separate command on a mesh with isolated groups of vertices.

Example: 2 cubes joined as one object but not sharing vertices, I go to separate one of the cubes & blender crashes.
I don't get crashes with seperating, but if you join meshes, that don't have edges enabled, you'll see a crash. I sent a call-stack to the ML of the problem.
crsrma wrote:Also, a new line is showing up in DOS prompt:
Shortname = 'C:\PROGRA~1\BLENDE~1\CVS\LATEST\BLENDER.EXE'
This isn't the case with previous test builds in same directory or the official build.
This is nothing to worry about, just a bit more verbose output :) (don't know why it is now enabled, though)

/jesterKing

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

oyster wrote:bug?
launch blender
goto material buttons
start a colorpicker
change the R to 1 by kbd

RGB and V all change to 1

win2k with sp4
confirmed.

/jesterKing

thoro

Post by thoro »

Thanks for the build.

The creases are a great feature. I found the button to add edge data to the active object but did not find a way to edit the weighting of the edges :) so I googled and found these pages:

http://www.mcfarlen.us/~chris/subsurfcr ... rease.html
http://www.mcfarlen.us/~chris/subsurfcr ... ease2.html

It's done by selecting the edge and pressing [SHIFT]+[e], value is increased/decreased by moving the mouse's Y-axis. I hope I'm not the last one to discover this :oops:. Wonderful feature (did I mention that before?) - will it be in the next release? If so, I can save many vertices in the character I'm currently modelling.

Cheers

Thorsten

P.S. tar.gz is ok for me - I'm used to it from Linux. If people have problems with that, I would prefer standard ZIP format - personally I don't like executable archives :)

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Both the color picker and joining bugs have been fixed in CVS now - so it's waiting for a new build for those ;) I won't upgrade this one yet, since it is much more of a texture ipo test.

/jesterKing

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

http://multimedia.ffa.vutbr.cz/~novak/files/fluid.avi
compressed with intel indeo 5.10, cca 450 kb

almost a fluid simulation with the new particles :).
thanks

johannes

Post by johannes »

weighted creases are working great if you have selected one edge or one face. but if you have selected all vertices (AKEY) it doesn't work as good as in some other 3d apps.

there're two kinds of weighting:
- edge weigghting
- vertice weighting

the edge weighting works well but the vertice weighting works too harsh.