bf-blender / Windows (2004/07/09) + Texture Ipo patch

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Usagi wrote:Thank you for the info, jesterking. The other mixing options are a nice addition. Nonetheless, "Mix" should work as before, shouldn't it?
Afaik yes, but I'll ask ton to look at it.

/jesterKing

Mel_Q

Post by Mel_Q »

Usagi wrote:
Mel_Q wrote:Are you talking about the edge around the alpha map being bright or is it not working at all?
Alpha 0 is transparent, but any other value between 1..255 comes out wrong, mostly too bright but not always. Some strange color shifting and banding seems to happen also.

Here is an example: left one rendered with 2004/07/02 CVS (correct), right one rendered with 2004/07/09 CVS (wrong, same result with 2004/07/05 CVS). Oddly enough lips and eyebrows look okay in both renders, although they are painted in the same colormap. It is a PNG with alpha channel.
Aha! I am getting the same thing- it's just most of the alpha maps I used were for quick and dirty labels, and I used the emit button. Turning the 'emit' off gave the exact results you mention, with it on, I'm getting the white border.

A2597

Post by A2597 »

idle curiosity...when will we get DoF?

a few releases back ya said it would be in the next one... :D
(It's the one feature mentioned recently I've been really wanting)
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

A2597 wrote:idle curiosity...when will we get DoF?

a few releases back ya said it would be in the next one... :D
(It's the one feature mentioned recently I've been really wanting)
As far as I know, it's (the version in intrr's tree) not planned for inclusion in the official bf-blender tree in the forseeable future. However you can acheive the exact same results by using the zblur sequence plugin - it's the same code.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

As broken says. Since I learned it's doable also with zblur I've decided to wait with that. The autofocus feature is interesting, though.

/jesterKing

chrismcf

Post by chrismcf »

johannes wrote:weighted creases are working great if you have selected one edge or one face. but if you have selected all vertices (AKEY) it doesn't work as good as in some other 3d apps.

there're two kinds of weighting:
- edge weighting
- vertice weighting

the edge weighting works well but the vertice weighting works too harsh.
Actually, there is only edge weighting, but vertices are handled differently depending on how many creased edges are adjacent to it. My webpage describes this, but I think there is one point that isn't clear.

If three or more incident edges of a vertex are creased, that vertex is treated as a "corner". This means it is rigid. Changing the weight of all of these edges at once will cause that vertex to appear to jump at certain weight values. This really is expected, but might take some getting used to (or everyone will hate it and it will change :) ).

http://www.mcfarlen.us/~chris/subsurfcr ... heck.blend

This cube demonstrates the 3 types of vertex rules. The top, near, right vertex is a corner. If you select just the vertical sharp edge(ALT+BKEY is your friend here) and adjust its weight, you can see the effect that edge has on the behavior of the vertex.

Feedback on this behaviour is certainly welcome, but be nice!

Chris

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

I committed the texture ipos to tuhopuu.

/jesterKing

lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

jesterKing wrote:I committed the texture ipos to tuhopuu.

/jesterKing
Why did you commit them in tuhopuu? In my opinion, it works right and it could be commited in Bf-blender.
Keep up the good work!

scooterl

Post by scooterl »

Same exact particle emitter problem I posted about on the previous release.

When a particle emitter is animated, the particles emit not from the position of the vertices on a given frame, but from the position of the vertices on the frame that's equal to the value entered for "life".

patricks

Post by patricks »

:? Thanks you for this build. There is something strange in the shadows. when you look in the arrear where the light meets the shadow ( for example on a sphere ),the dark said looks blocky and not smooth I am not taking about projected shadows from an object I men the light and the dark said of an object there are no smooth transition from light to dark
I made a simple setup with a UV sphere and a plan to stand on a lamp with ray trace on and AO on with samples 10 distance 5
The UV sphere with sub surf set to 1 and smooth
OSA set to 8 and gauss 1
I trait different lights and faindout that the blocky transition only happens with ray trace lights
So I trait the spot light with buffer (no ray trace) and there the smooth transition from light to shadow works nice
I made the same test with the official BLENDER 2.33a and it has the same problem
You have to zoom in the rendered picture to see the blocky transition
If you increase the sub surf it while still by blocky
The only bf blender without this problem who’s GABIOS 20040616

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

Where to find and how to use "weighted creases for subsurfs"?

theeth

Post by theeth »

ElBarto wrote:Where to find and how to use "weighted creases for subsurfs"?
From the first page of this thread: http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... 4348#24348

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

patricks wrote::? Thanks you for this build. There is something strange in the shadows. when you look in the arrear where the light meets the shadow
It would be very helpful if you could post an image of what you're talking about (with a comparison to 2.33a), and a .blend file, so it can be investigated further.

Cheers

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton »

I rewinded the change in alpha code... what I tried to fix was the 'grey outlines' you see when using alpha. This is all due to the fact alpha isnt strictly defined... with premul and 'key' alpha being used mixed.

Thanks for notifying this... :) I'll check better before committing again!

patricks

Post by patricks »

broken wrote:
patricks wrote::? Thanks you for this build. There is something strange in the shadows. when you look in the arrear where the light meets the shadow
It would be very helpful if you could post an image of what you're talking about (with a comparison to 2.33a), and a .blend file, so it can be investigated further.

Cheers
:shock: :?: I don’t know how to post the picture :( [/img]