BF-blender Os X 10.3 -- 2.34 Rel. cand. 3 - 04/08/02 UPDATE

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lukep

BF-blender Os X 10.3 -- 2.34 Rel. cand. 3 - 04/08/02 UPDATE

Post by lukep » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:50 pm

We are now officially in B-con 4 situation

a new Os X build with last CVS is available there

Mac Os X RC3

Many thanks to Sirdude which hosted the RC2 (and to Gabio wich hosted the previous one)

Please test carefully, this is from what we will build the release version
Last edited by lukep on Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

akator

Post by akator » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:34 am

I'm experiencing some serious interface responsiveness issues. 4/5 times it takes over 2 seconds for a reaction to input. This includes the 3D windows, buttons, menus... pretty much all of it. Once rotating the 3D view took 8 seconds to respond.

For example, with a light selected I click on the material settings button... and 4 seconds later Blender responds. I click on world settings, another 3 seconds.

iMac G4 1.25GHz running 10.3.4, 512MB RAM, no other software running

Vaccine0101

Post by Vaccine0101 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:51 am

You know to remeber this is not the offical and its not done yet....

norm3dwyer

Render Bug related to Emit attribute on Surfaces

Post by norm3dwyer » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:53 am

The render bug that Kerosene noted in the previous build still remains in the OS X version.

lukep

Post by lukep » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:21 am

akator wrote:I'm experiencing some serious interface responsiveness issues. 4/5 times it takes over 2 seconds for a reaction to input. This includes the 3D windows, buttons, menus... pretty much all of it. Once rotating the 3D view took 8 seconds to respond.

For example, with a light selected I click on the material settings button... and 4 seconds later Blender responds. I click on world settings, another 3 seconds.

iMac G4 1.25GHz running 10.3.4, 512MB RAM, no other software running
That's a serious problem.
But here it's very responsive so without more details I will have trouble to solve.
Do you have the dock always visible ? even if it should not matter

try the following :

- reduce window size
- check all prefs especially international
- look in console for any message
- try to restart

lukep

Re: Render Bug related to Emit attribute on Surfaces

Post by lukep » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:23 am

norm3dwyer wrote:The render bug that Kerosene noted in the previous build still remains in the OS X version.
once again, can't redo. please provide an example blend so that we can check

scuozz

Post by scuozz » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:57 am

-I experienced serious problem with this build and yafray, many crash but the major thing is that is not possible to render any transparence,
I tried with yafray 0.0.6.2 and even the pre 0.0.7.

I don't have interface problems on Mac os X 1.0.3.4 G5 dual 1.8

- In a previous test build there was a very nice pink silouette for selected object when in shaded mode, this feature was so cool, usually it's always difficult to understand the selected object in shaded mode

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:36 am

scuozz wrote:- In a previous test build there was a very nice pink silouette for selected object when in shaded mode, this feature was so cool, usually it's always difficult to understand the selected object in shaded mode
Ton will re-enable this by default, before release. It's the way it is now, due to a little quirk in the code that keeps compatibility between Blender versions .

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:04 am

akator wrote:I'm experiencing some serious interface responsiveness issues. 4/5 times it takes over 2 seconds for a reaction to input. This includes the 3D windows, buttons, menus... pretty much all of it. Once rotating the 3D view took 8 seconds to respond.
I've noticed this too, and I think I can assume it's because of the new fullscreen window. Eg. start Blender and lett it go full screen. Then try and drag the top window border down to reveal the user prefs. Then do Window -> Zoom wto make Blender windowed, then drag the user prefs window border again - it's much faster.

lukep

Post by lukep » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:23 am

broken wrote:
I've noticed this too, and I think I can assume it's because of the new fullscreen window. Eg. start Blender and lett it go full screen. Then try and drag the top window border down to reveal the user prefs. Then do Window -> Zoom wto make Blender windowed, then drag the user prefs window border again - it's much faster.
Broken : what is your computer ? VRAM size ?

Does any of you run X11 window ( in the past I had problems with X11 windows overlapping blender)

What I don't understand is that my computer start to be old (Pb G4 867 Mhz) and I don't experiment any slowdown. And I'm known to run 20 apps at same time and have 30 windows open.

you can try also to run blender thru sampler (in develloper apps), this may help to understand where we loose time

This is very inconvenient and I would like to solve this issue, but here it works well :/

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:32 am

PB G4 1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, 64MB VRAM

Actually, on playing with it a bit more, I think it's caused by Blender being behind the dock. When Blender is maximised on startup, it fills the whole screen and sits behind the dock. Even if I resize Blender to a small window, if I drag it down so it's behind the dock, it will slow down as well.

Is there a way to make the fullscreen size = screen height - dock height?

BTW I should have been clearer on the last report - the 'slowness' I mentioned is the time between letting go of the mouse button, and the window space edge appearing in the new location.

lukep

Post by lukep » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:40 am

broken wrote:PB G4 1.25GHz, 1GB RAM, 64MB VRAM

Actually, on playing with it a bit more, I think it's caused by Blender being behind the dock. When Blender is maximised on startup, it fills the whole screen and sits behind the dock. Even if I resize Blender to a small window, if I drag it down so it's behind the dock, it will slow down as well.

Is there a way to make the fullscreen size = screen height - dock height?

BTW I should have been clearer on the last report - the 'slowness' I mentioned is the time between letting go of the mouse button, and the window space edge appearing in the new location.
Hoh, very possible. I must look in that. Not sure it's easy.

Ok. I can redo that.

My dock being on the side and small, it don't play havoc with the buttons, but the window redraw is indeed slower if dock is up.

lukep

Post by lukep » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:11 am

this build should solve the problems with overlapping the dock.

Mac Os X RC3

unfortunately, due to the way Os X handle the dock, I was not able to keep start in maximised mode, so now :

- we start keeping a border of 10 pixel from everything including the dock
- the maximised mode is one click away (on the zoom button as you may expect)

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:00 am

Works great here, lukep - thanks very much.

akator

Post by akator » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:51 am

broken wrote:Works great here, lukep - thanks very much.
I second that. The new build works great, and I haven't run into any more problems... even with large models :wink: