bf-blender / Windows (2004/08/02) Pre Release 2

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kalysto

Post by kalysto »

Hello, just a question, AreaLight and yafray is possible for the 2.34 version ?

Because, when I use yafray Gi with Area light there is no Area light, only Gi.

dotblend

Post by dotblend »

when using a photonlight in yafray, without/with the photons enabled

the file
http://members.home.nl/dotblend/rendererresult.rar

question
photonlights are layer dependent?

eeshlo

Post by eeshlo »

kalysto wrote:Hello, just a question, AreaLight and yafray is possible for the 2.34 version ?

Because, when I use yafray Gi with Area light there is no Area light, only Gi.
Yes, that is how it currently works, it is only used for indirect lighting when used with the global photonmap ('photons 'in renderpanel) . Some code didn't yet make it into yafray which will change this, needs some testing first. For now, to make the arealight visible you will have to add an emitting plane in the same position as the arealight.
dotblend wrote: ...
when using a photonlight in yafray, without/with the photons enabled
Several things, you have to use the photonlight with other lights. Well, you *can* use it on it's own if you really want, but then you only see the caustics.

edit: I think you probably know this and actually intended this, with the background as lightsource, and the photonlight providing some extra caustics, so just ignore the rest here. But can still be useful to others who might not know about this.

From the commitlog:
And finally, the photonlight:
probably the most confusing (as more things related to yafray), the photonlight
is not a real lightsource, it is only used as a source to shoot photons from.
Since indirect lighting is already supported (and looks better as well)
only caustics mode is supported.
So to be able to use this properly other lightsources must be used with it.
For the photonlighting to be 'correct' similar lightsettings as for the 'source'
light are needed.
Probably the best way to do this, when you are happy with the lighting setup
you have, and want to add caustics, copy the light you want to enable for
caustics (shift-D) and leave everything as is, then change the mode to
'Photon'.
To not waiste any photons, the photonlight behaves similar to the spotlight,
you can set the width of the beam with the 'angle' parameter. Make sure
that any object that needs to cast caustics is within that beam, make
the beam width as small as possible to tightly fit the object.
The following other parameters can be set:
-photons: the number of photons to shoot.
-search: the number of photons to search when rendering, the higher,
the blurrier the caustics.
-depth: the amount of photon bounces allowed, since the primary use is for
caustics, you probably best set this to the same level as the 'ray depth'
parameter.
-Blur: this controls the amount of caustics blur (in addition to the search
parameter), very low values will cause very sharp caustics, which when used
with a low photonnumber, probably lead to only some noisy specks being rendered.
-Use QMC: Use quasi monte carlo sampling, can lead to cleaner results, but also
can sometimes cause patterns.

Since the photonlight has no meaning to Blender, when using photonlights and
switching back to the internal render, the light doesn't do anything, and no
type button will be selected. The lightsource can still be selected, but unless
switching to yafray, no parameters can set.
The reason you get a noisy image is because currently yafray has no 'knowledge' of the hdr image, it doesn't know about important areas of the image, it just randomly samples it. There are techniques to solve this (like 'structured sampling') but is not implemented in yafray (yet).
Other possibilities include preblurring the image, and only using that for the lighting (but that would also blur shadows), and other things, but also not implemented/possible yet.
For this reason some hdr images will work better than others, like skies for example. Hdr images with lots of small lights will be the most problematic.

You can get a less noisy image by using the cache/gradient method, though will still look blotchy unless you really increase the sample value a lot.
question
photonlights are layer dependent?
If you mean, do they only affect the objects in the same layer, then no, not yet.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

when i download the zip file the archive is empty. I'm sure its something wrong with my machine. does anyone have any suggestions?

gabio

Post by gabio »

TorQ wrote:when i download the zip file the archive is empty. I'm sure its something wrong with my machine. does anyone have any suggestions?
First check the size. If your file is empty... then redownload.
Check for CRC. too.
in fact, in both case i sugest you to redownload of try an other extractor.(winace in my case)

HiNMity

Post by HiNMity »

Ive tried it several times but it seems to me netconnexion.ca is down. Anyone have an alternate location?

gabio

Post by gabio »

:(
sadly.. yes.
i can't even get my mail this morning.
well well,it's the first time in 8 month of test build sharing. i must say they got good server nevertheless. it was always fast.
I think the test period is over folks. The release is for today anyway.
wait a couple of hours. 8)

spazz

can't wait

Post by spazz »

can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! Whoohoohoo! :mrgreen:
can't wait for these great material features, rendering features, model features,.. in that new awesome, great, wonderfull, amazing,.. new 2.34th (hehe, 2-3-4 following numbers :D) version of Blender! :twisted:

We'll see how good it is. 8)

kisolre

Render window position select...

Post by kisolre »

I have transparent Samurize window at upper right corner of my screen.
When blender is initially started default position of render window is just behind that win so i usually move it by those 9 buttons in render pane. But now after first render it's not possible. I remember that there was a feature to move that win at desired position and it stays there but why are these buttons still there? Is this a bug or the should be removed?

Start blender, click some of them ( change position), make a render - render win is where you want it. Change position again with these buttons, make a render - render window stays where it was.

Sorry, but i just saw this.

ilac

Re: Render window position select...

Post by ilac »

kisolre wrote:I have transparent Samurize window at upper right corner of my screen.
When blender is initially started default position of render window is just behind that win so i usually move it by those 9 buttons in render pane. But now after first render it's not possible. I remember that there was a feature to move that win at desired position and it stays there but why are these buttons still there? Is this a bug or the should be removed?

Start blender, click some of them ( change position), make a render - render win is where you want it. Change position again with these buttons, make a render - render window stays where it was.

Sorry, but i just saw this.
It's a new feature. The render window is NOT repositioned unless you (a) close it or (b) change the size of the render.

Mel_Q

Post by Mel_Q »

eeshlo wrote:
Several things, you have to use the photonlight with other lights. Well, you *can* use it on it's own if you really want, but then you only see the caustics.
From the commitlog:
And finally, the photonlight:
probably the most confusing (as more things related to yafray), the photonlight
is not a real lightsource, it is only used as a source to shoot photons from.
Since indirect lighting is already supported (and looks better as well)
only caustics mode is supported.
So to be able to use this properly other lightsources must be used with it.
For the photonlighting to be 'correct' similar lightsettings as for the 'source'
light are needed.
I've noticed reflective caustics are much more dim than refractive caustics. To get visible results, I must set the photon lamp to a much higher energy or distance than the scene lamp. This doesn't seem to agree with the sentence I've highlighted in the 'commit log' quote. Caustics that are refractive do seem to be very close to 'correct' when using similar photon lamp and 'regular' lamp settings. This means things get complicated on scenes that have both reflective and refractive caustics. Until this pre-release came out, I had not used the photon lamp in Yafray, so if the following question is obvious, please forgive me ;) . Are reflective caustics 'supposed' to be that dim?
More info on the matter can be found on Elysiun's "Feature test" forum at the link below.
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 779#269779

scooterl

Post by scooterl »

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble rendering toon edges in this version?

scooterl

Post by scooterl »

My mistake -- forgot the camera was in Ortho mode.

Carry on... :oops: