blender 2.34 optimized [ms windows]

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Marty_D

blender 2.34 optimized [ms windows]

Post by Marty_D »

[edit]
Last edited by Marty_D on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

signorbean

Post by signorbean »

Excellent, all I need now is an optimised build of yafray and I'll be laughing!

It certainly would be nice to see this become part of the official relese, whether it ever will, who knows.

theeth

Post by theeth »

Some people reported rendering artefacts caused by the optimisation in the past. Until we can be sure that the optimisation is not causing any problems, I don't think it will be part of the official releases.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Antares

Post by Antares »

doing those optimized builds would also require an official license of an intel compiler which is about 500€.

and thx to marty_d to set up this thread. it's my bad impression that, there are only very few people how actually use my build. that's why i won't do any further advertisement for it.

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

Antares wrote:doing those optimized builds would also require an official license of an intel compiler which is about 500€.

and thx to marty_d to set up this thread. it's my bad impression that, there are only very few people how actually use my build. that's why i won't do any further advertisement for it.
Your build is more used than you think ;-)

Thanks!
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Yeah, I use it all the time too!
Sometimes, when I start a project, and most of what I do is modelling, I use the latest CVS version for the latest tools, but when I need to do more and more renders, I always revert to your optimized version, because it is *very* fast. Whenever there's a new release, I am always looking for your version (at the forums, etc.). So here's a big THANK YOU!!!

Bogey

Post by Bogey »

Just tried out your build and seems to run the game engine much quicker.
The frame rate has gone up, starts and restarts are faster. This is just what we need. Thanks for the build. Im on a low spec comp "500 Athlon"
and I would be interested if others notice simalar results.
I will let people know over at elYsiun where game engine speed has been
causing some grief.

Thanks again,

Bogey.

Marty_D

Post by Marty_D »

[edit]
Last edited by Marty_D on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marty_D

Post by Marty_D »

[edit]
Last edited by Marty_D on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antares

Post by Antares »

Marty_D wrote: The blender coders are also very busy right now, I think, so you have to get in line; and share time with the other platforms too. Don't give it up yet, you may already have your own sub-culture. And to get the idea into the official release we will need as much testing as we can get.
the problem is, i cannot really investigate this intel compiler stuff beyond simple compiler settings, because i dont have time for it. i signed up to the blender mailing list, but i havent made a single posting myself yet :(

as long as it isnt carried it to the center of development nobody will care about it.

blendix

Post by blendix »

Marty_D wrote:The above is for a RISC processor which, I believe, Apples use too? I'm not a coder, but I think that for blender to get acceleration accross all platforms the code will need to be aligned. So if you have Christmas wish list and you want to get that animation project done before next Thanksgiving (US) <g>, the request you want to make is for aligned code.
From what I know, code and data alignment is really a non issue if you're coding in C. These are optimizations the compiler can take care of. For example, GCC enables code alignment from -O2 and up (which is the optimization level releases are compiled with). Doing things like that manually would be a waste of time.

There are more effective ways to optimize the code (finding the fastest math functions per platform, rewriting matrix ops in asm, ... or 'simply' write faster algorithms).

Marty_D

Post by Marty_D »

[edit]
Last edited by Marty_D on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourMadMen

Post by FourMadMen »

No problems with rendering so far. Also rendering times are now two-thirds of what they were. What's more is my current project is coming up on half a million polys and scrolling/zooming/rotating in edit mode is just as fast as a simple mesh (it was starting to drag on some operations with all relevant layers turned on).

So I personally would like to say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

ysvry

Post by ysvry »

i tried to get a thread going to this build as you can see before but the moderator locked it up twice glad to see you now succefully got a thread to that build . Why they locked mine is beyond me ,maybe they don't want windows blender to be faster that there macs :P might it be possible to do a yafray optimized version too? I used the optimized build for some time now and it seeems stable. good work optimizing the code. I also sent an email to intel telling them they should make this build and upcoming ones for pr and free publicity reasons lol may be you all should .

ilac

Post by ilac »

ysvry wrote:i tried to get a thread going to this build as you can see before but the moderator locked it up twice glad to see you now succefully got a thread to that build . Why they locked mine is beyond me
Actually, they (Broken and Michel) repeatedly explained why they locked your threads. :roll: