BF-blender Os X 10.3 - 2.34 - speed improvement - 04/08/31

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lukep

BF-blender Os X 10.3 - 2.34 - speed improvement - 04/08/31

Post by lukep » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:40 pm

New build current to CVS as of today.

most features :

- fix of AO slow renders
- new taper curve
- new experimental global undo

http://jlp.nerim.net/dev/blender-2.34-O ... 310804.zip

solmax

Post by solmax » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:44 am

solid improvements! i confirm a huge increase of rendering speed wit AO, and the new taper thingy is very useful, too. just one thing: as it obviously only affects the size of on end, why not replace it with a %-slider? this would be the same, but without typing another object name (this is what i really dislike on blender - typing names using those crude text-boxes instead of click-select.. or at least proper text boxes, where a dbl-click selects everything..)

however, nice build

marin

EDIT: ok i had a look at the taper-tool "documentation", i obviously misunderstood what it really does. so my %-request above becomes obsolete with the current implementation.

i also saw that the OSX is the smallest team - apart from irix and other one-man-shows, so many thanks for the efforts you two do for the small mac user base. as i currently switched to apple, and i do more and more jobs with blender, it's in my own interest to see continous development and good support for that platform. for that reason, and because i'm not a coder i'd like to volunteer at least for beta testing. PM me with a brief "job description" so that i can see if i'll really have the time to do that.

best regards

marin

JoOngle

Post by JoOngle » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:55 pm

WOW! it sure speeds up the Ambient Occlusion render. :shock:
Didn't even have to time it, the results where astoundingly fast.

Thanks for this release, and thanks for releasing the tests
for OS X as well.

I use Blender on a windows machine at work
and Blender on an OS X laptop at home.

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:06 am

solmax wrote:i also saw that the OSX is the smallest team - apart from irix and other one-man-shows, so many thanks for the efforts you two do for the small mac user base. as i currently switched to apple, and i do more and more jobs with blender, it's in my own interest to see continous development and good support for that platform.
Well, Ton uses OS X (as do I) so you can expect to see good support as far as keeping Mac development on an equal footing. Lukep is definitely our Mac guru though :)

lukep

Post by lukep » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:15 pm

solmax wrote: it's in my own interest to see continous development and good support for that platform. for that reason, and because i'm not a coder i'd like to volunteer at least for beta testing. PM me with a brief "job description" so that i can see if i'll really have the time to do that.
Sorry for the late response, I didn't see there was news in this thread. and thanks.

Any help is appreciated. Mostly in B-con 3 and 4, I provide regular test builds here. there is a set of standard test files that must be done, this is quite fast, but the bulk of work is using the program and search for problems or things that not behave the same than in previous version.

The tests themselves are less than an hour. the rest ask only for you being alert to any discrepancy and be ready to fire the previous version to check in the middle of a blender work.

Now where I would need more help, is from users with low end/old comps, G3 or G4 with 8 or 16 Mb graphic cards.

We have some running problems on those, and I would have more complete tests to run on.

solmax

Post by solmax » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:53 am

ok where can i get the testing files? as is spend some time playing with blender anyway time shouldn't be a problem. my machine isn't that low spec (G4, 32MB video), not exactly what you need?

marin

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:41 pm

solmax wrote:ok where can i get the testing files?
http://download.blender.org/demo/test/test234.zip

/Nathan

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:23 am

where is the documention to the new undo and taper thingy ? And how do I use them ?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:15 pm

Money_YaY! wrote:where is the documention to the new undo and taper thingy ? And how do I use them ?
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Changes_si ... 384.0.html For most of the new feature docs (that also will make it into the final release).

And for the current undo experiment:

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 02229.html

and

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 02237.html

/Nathan

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:15 am

I see that there is a new feature called hooks, can you post a build for that ? I tried but my scons is not being nice yet. I will see if I can get it and then share it