bf-blender / Windows (2004/09/19)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gabio

Post by gabio »

Bellorum wrote:
The U key is mostly used for undo like the z keys are used for drawing things. So i would suggest changing the hotkey for Save User preferences and using Ctrl+U for Undo and Shift+Ctrl+U for Redo.
Then I, being fortunate enough to have being blessed with big hands, will be one of the few people to be able to undo using only one hand. I don't understand how that kind of change would benefit workflow. Ctrl-z works like a charm with me, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm v-e-ry grateful for this change, since this is the way it's done in (almost) every other application, and eliminates the need to reset my brain everytime I switch apps. That's improving workflow.
me raise my hand to this wise speech.pp on mailing list should consider the "reaching" aspect of ctrl-u.

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

On a german keyboard U key is besides Z key so the problem about the big hand is the same for me.

I think it is bad to mix standard apps keys and typical Blender keys.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

On a german keyboard U key is besides Z key so the problem about the big hand is the same for me.
On a swedish keyboard, the z-key is about 2 cm apart from the ctrl key, while the u-key is about 10 cm away. I can do the ctrl-z combo without looking at the keyboard, and that constitutes a way better workflow for me. Why do you germans have to be so different?;)
I think it is bad to mix standard apps keys and typical Blender keys.
I don't see why. Less key-shortcuts to learn can only be good.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Yeah, ideally copying and cutting text should work as expected too, utilising Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V instead of Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V, with Ctrl swapped to Command on the Mac. (Okay, Ctrl-C + Ctrl-V works, but only for the internal clipboard - should copy to both internal and global clipboard with this function as it would in any other app)

As long as we are talking standard keys such as for saving, undoing, copying and pasting, we should stick to the norm - change for the sake of it is pointless. The rest of the Blender keys can remain different from other apps - remember it's not the same functions!

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

Ok, ok i see anybody like Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y, but for on german keyboards it is there where your Y is and that is how you wrote a bit away :(

Another question if we have now that great working global undo, did we need a special undo for Edit Mode?

As i can see in Vertex Paint mode Global undo works just for one step and global undo is not working in UV Face Select right?

Will be there a history list for global undo like for undo/ redo in Edit Mode?

Thanx a lot for that great stuff!!!!

dl

Post by dl »

How about an editable KEYBOARD.DEF (ASCII/text) file that Blender reads for changes-only on startup? That way users can leave the keyboard set up as is, or set/mess it up however they want. :wink:

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

three letters for you

.XML

RonC

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

that is..*sob* beautiful man...
so beautiful

keep it as crtl-z. My hands can't reach the U key nearly as fast.

malefico

Post by malefico »

Somehow I can't login the bug tracker... anyway there are a couple of things missing from some time:

- Apply Deformation in Object menu gets confused and doesn't recognize when it should be "Apply Lattice Deformation" instead of "Make Duplis Real". Hotkey still works though.

- Align axis doesn't work with lattices (CTRL+A), why oh why ?

- The viewport update problems are still there (position of children objects is not correctly updated)

Wave effect together with armature deformation is amazing !

B@rt: I don't think GLobal Undo should replace Edit Undo, since AFAIK Global Undo consumes a lot of memory... I would go on with that disabled...

Cheers

malefico.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Actually keeping the Edit mode undo style would make it slower IMO, since it would be saving BOTH the entire file (new undo) and previous mesh states (edit mode undo) at the same time. If we just stuck to the new undo all the way through it should theoretically consume less memory.. Make any sense?

malefico

Post by malefico »

Yes sure, if you use both systems. I meant, disabling global and sticking to Edit Mode.

Anyway, I gotta try it. I'm feeling a little "grumpy", all these things (CTRL+Z, global undo,...) look like tos for windows users to me, maybe I'm getting old too fast :)

I just want those eternal bugs fixed.

env

Post by env »

I just want those eternal bugs fixed.
Yeah, also the "onlyshadow" spot black ring bug, really annoying!
EDITED: and what about the fact that after frame 9999 Blender write frame 10000, and this is correct, but if you are saving your tgas in a folder you wont have your frames in order... instead of 0001, 0002, etc. it should write 00001, 00002, etc., so to have 09999 and 10000.
EDITED AGAIN: btw, in the last official release (2.24) the codecs don't work (Win 98 ).

Ahem, sorry for all this, but I'm just doing a big job, so I discovered all this just now. :)

Env

Kenden

Post by Kenden »

I found that changes made in Edit Mode are undone in Object Mode if pressing Ctrl-Z.

However a change made in Object mode isn't undone in Edit Mode.

I wonder if that's a bug or a feature, it looks confusing to me.

Should the global undo undo changes made in Edit Mode?

Cheers,
Quentin