bf-blender / Windows (2004/10/01)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Yfkar

Post by Yfkar »

- New hotkey (test CTRL+TAB in editmode gives (and shows!) current
selectmode. I prefer this over cycling, since the menu is informing you
what happens.
I prefer cycling. I hate all extra popup menus. For example, if I want to quickly create a lamp I want to just press a lamp button, I don't like selecting the lamp type. If I want to use a lamp other than a normal lamp I will certainly go to the lamp properties tab anyway where I could easily select the lamp type.

I think that ctrl+tab should cycle the editmode and shift+ctrl+tab should do that reversed. With a popup menu I have to press an extra button every time I have to change the editmode. With cycling you have to press only once or repeat the same twice.

dgebel

Post by dgebel »

THANK YOU so much for edge, face selection and FINALLY, back-face culling!!!! :D :D

Mildly Unstable - Using Win XP sp2, this build, I was playing around with a bunch of the new features (about 21000 faces, 9.5M file created on with v2.3 I think), then tried to do something like turn off solid view and turn sub-surf off or on, not sure. But poof - Blender vanished. Haven't been able to repeat it, sorry.

About the edit selection type control keys:
It seems kind of redundant to have Control-tab pop up a menu, when "mouseable" options are on the icon bar thingie already.

Having said that, I sometimes like both the cycle between edit modes AND a pop-up menu. (Though I hate how Spacebar now changes the menu's sort order depending on where it pops up on the screen. ARG! :x ) But if there's a menu, should have a "Limit selection to visible" check option on there too, eh? Maybe the 3 modes should be on a pop-up instead of spread out like they are now. Then they would fit over by the MODE pop-up and the rest of the items more readily instead of stuck way off to the side. Hint hint.. :)

Er... but why is the back-face culling limited to solid mode? I'd love it in wireframe and OBJECT selection mode as well. Its a pain trying to pick out a simple object to edit while in a solid views, when there's a complex object underneath it - the complex object is the one that usually gets grabbed. I have to flip in back & forth between wire & solid view to find the edges to the object I'm staring at, sitting right on top.

Just grumbling, but I keep forgetting that F7 has been renamed to "object" panel rather than "animation" - I STILL can never remember where the object's layer buttons are.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

dgebel wrote:Er... but why is the back-face culling limited to solid mode? I'd love it in wireframe and OBJECT selection mode as well. Its a pain trying to pick out a simple object to edit while in a solid views, when there's a complex object underneath it - the complex object is the one that usually gets grabbed. I have to flip in back & forth between wire & solid view to find the edges to the object I'm staring at, sitting right on top.
Because this is (currently)an opengl trick, which only works in solidmode. The solidmode gives a depth buffer (zbuffer) which is used for clipping.

/Nathan

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

But surely it could be moved so that it selects those same vertices in wireframe mode?

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

Wow! The new Outliner feature in todays CVS is amazing! I needed more scene management tools and I take a peek at the CVS and I find them in there. Thanks Ton! Thanks coders!

gabio

Post by gabio »

um um... ok then ;-)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Wow! The new Outliner feature in todays CVS is amazing!
Ooooh :shock: I'll have to try a compile tomorrow:) Did my first yesterday - ooh, the power I wield now. Muahahahahah :twisted:
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.