bf-blender / Windows (2004/10/06)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

Love the new features... But can someone give a quick tut on getting the curve deform to work? I've read the docs online and thought I understood it... but it always just flattens out whatever mesh I'm trying to deform with it over the length of the curve.. well sorta. Basically its not working for me.

dotblend

Post by dotblend »

Love the new features... But can someone give a quick tut on getting the curve deform to work? I've read the docs online and thought I understood it... but it always just flattens out whatever mesh I'm trying to deform with it over the length of the curve.. well sorta. Basically its not working for me.
in the F7 (anim panel) change the track settings, and just fiddle around till you got it the way you think it's best ...

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

Ok... I got it working now.. don't know what my mental block was. Acts sorta wierd for me and I've had several crashes while playing with it. but its a great adition!

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

The outliner rocks! But any particular reason it doesn't have it's own windowtype? :?
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

True, would be better Outliner has its own window or there is a preference to setup outline as default OOPs view.

Karamba!
Bart.

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

gaiamuse

Post by gaiamuse »

Oops, I meant to say Animation PLAYBACK buttons/panels, Anyone working on this?

[Quote]dotblend wrote:in the outliner, when you change the lamp type, it does not update! [Quote]

Actually yes it does. I noticed that when I type the name of the lamp in the lamp panel to the one I selected in the preview panel it does change the name in the Outliner as well as changing the name of any other object will also update in the Outliner.

Levels in the Outliner: When I select materials or textures and go back between the two, the panels change to the appropriate panels. But when I try to go back to edit or object mode, the panels do not change to the appropriate panels. I have to select the icons in the Buttons Window. I would prefer all levels in the Outliner to change to its appropriate panels in the Buttons windows. Overall, I really like this new Outliner!

Again thanks for the new features!

gaiamuse

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Okay, first off the new outliner is great! Exactly what has been missing for a long time, although I would have called it Object Manager, or something simila. It should be the deafult option in the OOPS window, or have its own window type. The old OOPS schematic doesn't really have many uses, it's way too crowded, even in a not too complex scene, the Outliner is much better!

BUT:
The ATI fix has messed up something! Blender runs fine at home, but not at school. All the menus appear "below" or behind the window, and only become visible when a menu entry is selected (in the invisible menu, of course...). I can't give details on what kind of graphics card the PCs use here, but these are pretty new machines. The graphics driver is the default that comes with Windows XP Pro.
This is a pretty big problem for me though, since I use Blender at school, and also teach it to several people.

And this isn't the only problem, the other is that the text on the buttons in the UI randomly disappear or reappear, as the mouse is moved. I've gotten along with this one bug for a time, but if the menus don't show up either, then it makes Blender pretty much unuseable...

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Oh, and two more things (nit-picking, really :)):

The passepartout should be renamed to something more expressive. This name always reminds me of the guy in Around the World in Eigthy Days :D

The other thing is that the show edges and show faces option should be turned ON by default. I know this has been suggested before, but it really is needed, there is no reason it should be off by default! Especially since the new face-select mode has been added.

Buit of course I owe a big Thank You to all the coders! Version 2.35 will have so many new features, and only a month or so has passed since 2.34 so far...

Zsolt

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Actually it's fairly pricisely two months ago 2.34 was released. Time flies!

wavk

Post by wavk »

passe-par·tout ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ps-pär-t)

1. Something, such as a master key, that permits one to pass or go at will.

2. a. A border, such as a mat, that is used to frame or mount a picture.
b. An adhesive tape or a gummed paper used for a similar purpose.

It's french, and sounds so stylish ;) It's a pretty common word for a picture border in europe, isn't it known outside the continent?

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Wavk: Actually I am from Europe :)
Now that I think of it, I have heard the term, when referring to the border that is used in framed pictures, although I would't have guessed what it would do in a 3D program.

gabio

Post by gabio »

Zsolt wrote:Wavk: Actually I am from Europe :)
Now that I think of it, I have heard the term, when referring to the border that is used in framed pictures, although I would't have guessed what it would do in a 3D program.
it was also the title of a tv program when i was kid. only here in quebec though.

Samjh

Post by Samjh »

The sub-panel tab colours are very confusing.

In tha screenshot, I have "Material" and "Shaders" sub-panels selected. But the tabs make it look like "Ramps" and "Mirror Transp" has been selected instead.

Very trivial, but irksome.

thoro

Post by thoro »

Samjh wrote:The sub-panel tab colours are very confusing.
...the tabs make it look like "Ramps" and "Mirror Transp" has been selected instead.
...and I thought I was the only one with this problem.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

...and I thought I was the only one with this problem.
You are not. Just didn't notice this before:/
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.