BF-Blender / Linux 64-bit ( 2004-10-17)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

happy1776

BF-Blender / Linux 64-bit ( 2004-10-17)

Post by happy1776 »

Hi,

This is my first post of a build, so let me know if I need to do something different. If you manage to get it running on your 64-bit machine, please let me know. 8)

Stu

Code: Select all

: Testing build bf-blender by happy1776 ::

----------------------------------------
Last official release : 2.34
Build date : 2004-10-17
Dynamic : yes
GCC : 3.2.3
glibc : 2.3.2
kernel : 2.4.21-4  (RHEL3WS)

Edit: oops...first build with out game engine
Edit: file name change to reflect more accurately the individual builds

http://www.dietpizza.ch/blender/builds/ ... 041017.bz2 (w/o game engine)
http://www.dietpizza.ch/blender/builds/ ... 041019.bz2 (with game engine)
Last edited by happy1776 on Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leope

Post by leope »

WOW !!!
Great work!
It work also with yafray plugin 64bit compiled ! :D
Thanks a lot !
I'm running on fc2 64bit.

leope

Dracarys

Post by Dracarys »

heh, I build my own 64-bir blender, but thanks anyway.

fobsta

Post by fobsta »

seems to work fine on Fedora Core 2 - 64 bit

thanks

Mel_Q

Post by Mel_Q »

:drool: :cry:
I guess it's time I upgrade again. Is there a substantial increase in rendering speed going 64 bit? I know there will be some increase, but is it a bigger difference than a 32 bit machine running at the same clock speed?

_styken

Post by _styken »

Is there any difference in rendering times if you compile in 32 bit vs. 64 bit?

//styken

happy1776

Post by happy1776 »

Blender or any ray tracing software should not significantly benefit from the move to a 64-bit platform. This is because the advantage of a 64-bit architecture comes in only two areas:

* Natively addressing over 4GB of memory, which is not possible with a 32-bit system
* >32-bit integer mathematics

Since Blender is a floating point loving application, and not heavy on the integer math, there really is not a pressing reason to move to a 64-bit OS.

(Applications that will benefit from a 64-bit platform include very large databases and a/v encoding and compression, or so I understand.)

Stu

_styken

Post by _styken »

I was just curious if there where any "gain without pain" by compiling to 64-bit 8)

//styken

leope

Post by leope »

Outliner ---> segmentation fault :(

x happy1776:
Have you build it with scons ?
Have you made some changes in the SConstruct file ? (library paths, -m64 ?).

happy1776

Post by happy1776 »

Hmmm...

Yes, I built with scons. I did have to do some SConstruct tweaking to get it to compile, and more radically, a symbolic link for the GL library stuff. At this very moment I can't tell you what I did because the machine is being rebuilt with a new disk subsystem and FC2 (or FC3 if I can wait.)

If I were a betting man, my money would be on the GL library stuff because that is dynamically linked. Specifically, the compile was searching for a file (something like GLU.*foo.*so.1) and I could not get it to see the GLU.*bar.* file that was there, so I set up the link and it worked.

Once the machine is rebuilt, I will post a new build with a list of things I had to do. (Will take notes this time around.)

Note that the current build I have posted was compiled with a mildly old GCC version.

Give me a week or two and I will have a) a new build, b) more info.

Stu

leope

Post by leope »

Ok, thanks :)

PS:
I've compiled Blender (with a lot of warning on "unused variables" and "cast from pointer to integer of different sizes"); it work but outliner access still not, but I can wait.

leope

happy1776

Post by happy1776 »

yea, i got those warnings too. understanding why is on my list of things to do. but we will see...porting c from 32 to 64 bit architectures is not my forté :D (anybody have any thoughts on this?)

a mate is burning FC3 on DVD for me tonight, so I hope to be up and running by Sunday evening. wish me luck.

sgefant

Post by sgefant »

The outliner crash will be fixed soon, as it turned out there was a "break;" missing somewhere.

sgefant

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton »

Back in the nineties I ported & maintained a 64 bits Linux dec alpha version. We dropped this in 2001 or so... but the foundation for proper 64 bits support in Blender is still there. It is likely though that new code was added that's not 64 bits compatible (yes, not allowed to put a pointer in an integer), that's all to clean up.

Apple is going to 64 bits in their next upgrade, will definitely check that out. For those interested to already work on it, there's one important coding rule to apply in blender:

-> the variable type "long" has been typedeffed to be either 32 or 64 bits integer, depending pointer size.

So, if you want to do pointer arithmetic, or cast pointers to int, use a "long". Also use "long" in structures, that gets mapped OK. And make sure longs and pointers are properly aligned (8 byte aligned) in structs that get saved in blender files.

This rule might have been gone lost... or not fully covered in makefiles or Scons. All work todo!

happy1776

Post by happy1776 »

OK, have built up machine with FC3 and compiled Blender again. I would expect it to be 'better' than my last 64-bit buid because of the modern gcc compiler.

Let me know if it works/doesn't work for you!

http://www.dietpizza.ch/blender/builds/ ... 041112.bz2

Build date : 2004-11-12
gcc: 3.4.2
glibc: 2.3.3
kernel: 2.6.9-1.667 (FC3)