BF-blender Os X 10.3 - pre-2.35 R1 - 04/11/08

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lukep

BF-blender Os X 10.3 - pre-2.35 R1 - 04/11/08

Post by lukep »

the following build is the first official OS X 10.3 candidate for 2.35 scheduled next week.

Test carefully.

http://jlp.nerim.net/dev/blender-pre2.35-1108.zip

some points to note :

- I'm very interest of reports from 16Mo VRAM cards owners to check it works in millions of colors
- test game-engine please, there was quite some changes.
- international fonts don't work yet. problem will be solved shortly. all other features should work smoothly

test suite for this release can be found here (yes it's 2.34 ones) :

http://download.blender.org/demo/test/test234.zip

reports should be done here or on bug tracker. a post elsewhere (eg elysiun) is much less usefull as you cannot be sure I will see it.

changes since last version :
http://blender3d.org/cms/Changes_since_2_34.384.0.html

list is short, but a great one :shock:

stratacator

Post by stratacator »

Thanks for the build. I've been waiting desperately for this. Unfortunately, blender doesn't seem to be able to launch without unexpectedly quitting. I'm on a 1 GHz PowerBook with 10.3.6.

lukep

Post by lukep »

stratacator wrote:Thanks for the build. I've been waiting desperately for this. Unfortunately, blender doesn't seem to be able to launch without unexpectedly quitting. I'm on a 1 GHz PowerBook with 10.3.6.
uh.

report what happens in the console

Ender

Post by Ender »

I got the same thing the first time I tried it; it will crash if you are using international fonts (i.e. if you’re using a custom UI font, etc.). You can toss/move your preferences (a file called .B.blend in your home directory) and it should run just fine... or you can just wait until international fonts are fixed.

stratacator

Post by stratacator »

Thanks Ender, that fixed the problem. I opened up an older version of blender and saved my default settings without international fonts, and then was able to start up this version. By the way, lukep, sorry if I maybe made it sound like you ought to be able to troubleshoot my problem with what little information I gave you, that wasn't my intention.

ChrisGarrett

Post by ChrisGarrett »

Hi Lukep

Tested and working fine on a PowerBook G4 with 10.3.6

Great work

Chris

GusM

Post by GusM »

Nice work, just two little details: user preferences are not saved with a file, when I open it again they have been restored (try the automatic object keyframing button). And my old projects loosed their icons. Not too much, but if it can be fixed...

Regards,
Gustavo Muñoz

Edited: Icons are there again, just after restarting.

osxrules

Post by osxrules »

Thanks for this Lukep, I've been wanting to try out these features for a long time.

I've just tried it out on my brother's old machine with an 8MB card and it loaded after switching to 16 bit colour.

So far I've found two issues. Rotating with MMB alone sticks and other clicks/keys don't work. Sometimes random clicking releases it but not always. The Alt-LMB works fine. I always use MMB to rotate so this is a big issue for me.

Second issue is that AO doesn't work unless raytracing is turned on. Not sure if that's how it was before though. It's not a problem but people might not figure out that you should turn on ray tracing to use AO. It's much faster anyway.

I'm going to test it on my own machine later tonight so I'll test it more fully then.

lukep

Post by lukep »

osxrules wrote:I've just tried it out on my brother's old machine with an 8MB card and it loaded after switching to 16 bit colour.
good. Normal, blender take 5Mo for him alone
So far I've found two issues. Rotating with MMB alone sticks and other clicks/keys don't work. Sometimes random clicking releases it but not always. The Alt-LMB works fine. I always use MMB to rotate so this is a big issue for me.
works here. In what mode were you ? trackball or turntable ?
emulate on ?

[/quote]
Second issue is that AO doesn't work unless raytracing is turned on. Not sure if that's how it was before though. It's not a problem but people might not figure out that you should turn on ray tracing to use AO. It's much faster anyway.
[/quote]

This is a feature AFAIK. AO need raytracing in any case.

osxrules

Post by osxrules »

lukep wrote:
Rotating with MMB alone sticks and other clicks/keys don't work. Sometimes random clicking releases it but not always. The Alt-LMB works fine. I always use MMB to rotate so this is a big issue for me.
works here. In what mode were you ? trackball or turntable ?
emulate on ?
I just discovered that I was using a non-admin account on my brother's machine. When using admin accounts it works fine. Could it be something to do with read/write access - /tmp folder perhaps?

I also see that the AO raytracing was that way in the last version. I'd never used it but I thought I'd see if there was a speed increase, which there is.

I'll go through the test suite tomorrow but so far it's looking great. These features are what I've been looking forward to most (select modes + outliner). Thanks again for the build.

I've been trying to get a build environment set up for Blender CVS myself using XCode. I thought that XCode 2 had auto-vectorisation features for G4/G5 optimisation but it's just the gcc 3.5 compiler that does it so the scons setup will be fine and easier. I just need it to find everything like the OpenGL headers, which are in the frameworks. But this build'll keep me going for a while ;).

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

did i read it t right that the AO got faster in rendertime?
in case yes how much?

claas