bf-blender / Windows Official 2.35 RC1 (20041108)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:22 am

The new game engine issues appear as if they could be related to multiple scenes. If I only use one scene, everything works (mostly) as normal. Physics are a little jumpy. But with the added scenes, forces stop working, and now textures from one scene seem to be randomly applied to objects in the front scene that have no texture.

A memory corruption issue or something else?

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:00 pm

Hey this is imortant, release is ahead so better put this into the bugtracker.
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:24 pm

I really hope that the release is delayed until all of the minor bugs are fixed. This is the first real version that can IMO be taught to beginners ( the new selection modes, the outliner ), although it still has a long way to go. Having small bugs like those mentioned on the list will only serve to take the polish off what is an excellent release.

BTW it would be great if the outliner in the OOPS scematic started with the main root nodes open ( not their children ), rather than just showing Scene. There are a number of small things that can be overlooked, but from a beginners point of view they can make a huge difference.

I agree with the earlier post about having a 'X' or delete to delete an object from the outliner. Also, what about options to rename items in the outliner?

Rendering into actual viewport, rather than into a separate window, seems to be ignoring the OSA settings.

Also, it's maybe too late for this one... have the default camera rotation set from trackball to turntable. Very few 3D artists I know can model off-axis, most prefer the model to be in some sort of up-right position. The default trackball rotation is a frustration for beginners. At some point, a decision will have to be taken for the default install to be newbie friendly for attracting new modellers, hopefully this will happen before v2.4 ( ie in another couple of releases ).

For a truely beginner option, there should be a two-mouse-button only interface... when Blender gets re-definable keys and mouse mappings, and a skinnable interface ( maybe selectable at start-up ), this will be possible and will allow for techie and newbie modes.

Also,
Material interface: this is just complicated... I read a few threads that suggested a more node based material set up ( similar to what exists in some other packages ).

Physics: all of the other packages have some sort of rigid body / ragdoll physics solution for creating rendered scenes. I know softbody is in progress, but don't forget the basics first... throwing rocks comes before stitching clothes ;)

These last parts are off topic for this thread, and are for another time, but it's all food for thought ;).

Mal

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:33 pm

"Rendering into actual viewport, rather than into a separate window, seems to be ignoring the OSA settings."

Not a bug, just a scaling problem, if the render area have the same size as render output anything is fine in RenderView too.

As you can see on top of page 2 there is a lot about the outliner but that are design issues (like most thing of your posting).

I think there are a coders needed to doing the minor stuff and design issues.
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

Lagan

Post by Lagan » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:52 pm

The new game engine issues appear as if they could be related to multiple scenes. If I only use one scene, everything works (mostly) as normal. Physics are a little jumpy. But with the added scenes, forces stop working, and now textures from one scene seem to be randomly applied to objects in the front scene that have no texture.

A memory corruption issue or something else?
About the physics being jumpy:
Set the objects "Form Factor" higher and you will get less jitter.
You just have to turn the materials "Restitution" up to make up for it.

You can now change the physics tic rate(and logic's too) with a script, default was 65 I believe and that explains why it was so bad in blender. Setting it to around 120 gives good results.

Code: Select all

GameLogic.setPhysicsTicRate(120)
About the scene problems: I have no idea, couldn't get it to produce the problems. :/ Share a blend?

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:19 pm

I can't log in into the bugtraker but these files worked allright before the falloff improvement to the hooks

www.3developer.com/temp/CurveLatticeHooksZanQdo.zip

Edit: Please, can someone put mi .blends in the bug traker? its just a redraw problem but it also does'nt work in the render so... :(
Last edited by ZanQdo on Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:30 pm

Hi ElBarto,

> "Rendering into actual viewport, rather than into a separate window, seems to be ignoring the OSA settings."

> Not a bug, just a scaling problem, if the render area have the same size as render output anything is fine in RenderView too.

This could probably be sorted with a quick bit of code, to check if the render is in the actual window, and to override the render output size and use the actual screen area size, rather than have the user manually do it ( which is what they have to do anyway, to get the correct results )

> As you can see on top of page 2 there is a lot about the outliner but that are design issues (like most thing of your posting).
> I think there are a coders needed to doing the minor stuff and design issues.

I agree on both issues. The outliner is a great new feature, I'm sure it'll become more functional as it matures, but these small annoyances need to be sorted out for this version to build up credibility.

Mal

KDR_11k

Post by KDR_11k » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:02 am

The selection area for vertices is too small, I prefer it the old way where you could click almost half way across the screen and still select the nearest vertex as opposed to having to be within a cm or so. That low tolerance is what I hated the most about Silo, I hope Blender does not become like that...

kroopson

Post by kroopson » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:48 pm

I agree with KDR_11k. Don't overimprove some things. Old Blender's way of vertice selection was great and I don't see any point to change it.

jm

Post by jm » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:43 pm

hi
a have a little bit different question.

can You add some short cut(or add it to menu list) for switching between subsurf and normal mesh?
because I like working with one window(3d) and when am decide that I want see my model how it looks with subsurf, I schould switch out from this window(CTRL+arrow) and then back.

thank you jm

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:07 pm

can You add some short cut(or add it to menu list) for switching between subsurf and normal mesh?
I was actually thinking about that yesterday, when I as fooling around with the modeling tools. I would really appreciate such a shortcut. But such things are to be decided for 2.36. 2.35 is really close now, if you look at the CVS commits:)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

malefico

Post by malefico » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:47 pm

jm wrote:hi

thank you jm
SHIFT + O should work.

Cheers.

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:37 am

I posted a .blend that should show the bug with multiple scenes. The strangest thing is that with this .blend I get opposite issues than in my game.

But anyway, download this: http://www.spinheaddev.com/downloads/bl ... bugs.blend

jm

Post by jm » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:41 am

malefico wrote:
jm wrote:hi

thank you jm
SHIFT + O should work.

Cheers.
thx :D jm

re saluk:
it seem to be ok