bf-blender / Linux (2004/11/23) new ToSphere transformation

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

johannes

bf-blender / Linux (2004/11/23) new ToSphere transformation

Post by johannes »

new features:
- several bugfixes since 2.35
- i also added a new very cool transform tool from theeth. you can transform every mesh to a sphere. just use shift-ctrl-s in editmode.

openal: yes
international: no
dynamic: yes
gcc 3.3.4

download no longer available
Last edited by johannes on Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Umm, how is this different from the "To Sphere" option in the Edit buttons? Or is it that now there's a shortcut to it?
(Can't try it out though, I have to wait for a Windows build...)

theeth

Post by theeth »

Zsolt wrote:Umm, how is this different from the "To Sphere" option in the Edit buttons?
All in all, it's the same functionality except for the fact that it's now a transformation, meaning that it's interactive, center mode aware, uses numerical input and can be applied to anything that can be transformed.

This is part of the new transform code. Frankly, the code is far from fool proof, so use at your own risks.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

gabio

Post by gabio »

if this is a sneak peak of what the future code is gonna do with most modling function, hats of to you theeth.

I can do a windows build for that if theeth don't, just show me the patch.

theeth

Post by theeth »

This is more of a proof of concept than a preview. While still interesting, this doesn't show half of the features I want to put in there.

Path and new files are in the wiki: http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Ble ... efactoring
I update it whenever there's something new.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

First off: the transform rewrite looks really good, hats off to the coders and Theeth!

I however have one question/comment/suggestion. Will there be an improved numerical input for transformations?
The current use, ie: typing in numbers without an input box, and those numbers appearing on the header looks very counter-intuitive. I also have problems with a foreign language keyboard (with accented letters), where the 0 (zero) and the minus sign sometimes work, and sometimes don't.
There should be a direct input box, where the user can type, but also move the text cursor with the mouse/keyboard, plus the ability to paste numbers from the system clipboard. Oh, and using TAB to jump to the next input box. These would make life a whole lot easier, especially for precise modelling.