Tuhopuu3 / Windows (2005/01/03)*updated # 2*

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:20 pm

I just tried the new interface and 'woah' it is 100 times better than before !
But what i like the best is the new layout for object buttons. The first time i used it i didn't noticed it has changed. It's when i came back to the bf-blender that i thought 'but where are hidden those buttons ?'

The new layout is far mor practical and intuitive :) I was afraid when reading the wiki that everyone would be confused, but now it's the old interface that confuses me :)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:40 pm

Heh. This is a new record for me - 5 different flavors of Blender on my desktop at the same time:) New UI looking good.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

franzrogar

Post by franzrogar » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:54 pm

About when changing default language to Blender:

*UPDATE*
When you choose whatever language you want,
this *latest* build crashes; BUT
if you put into your language
a newer PO file (translated GUI)
IT DOESN'T CRASH!!!

Maybe date problem?

Reponse to broken who said:
If you could make a list of the buttons that cause this problem, it would help a lot.
In bf-2.36 there's few buttons that do that.
In touhopuu 3 *latest* the 90% of buttons do that.
(And some other strange sync problems)

Thanks in anyway,
Franz Rogar

PD: What i must refer to bf-official or tuhoppu buttons?
At first sight they must be the same buttons but
they aren't.

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:23 pm

Love the change from pink to orange (dutch? :wink: )

I would suggest thing though, to make the background of the 3d Window darker. Right now it is too bright

greets

Looking really great!

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:43 pm

Since a theme weigth only 12Ko,could several themes be included with the release ? I use different themes on my laptop and my CRT because TFT screens are more 'shiny'I think other people feel the same.

And how do you make different 3D object shading ? i especially like the pink one that is shown here : http://mke3.net/blender/interface/3dvie ... itmode.png

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:12 pm

Wow, great new features!
The gui looks wonderful, I like the orange.
Except for one thing: the rest of the GUI is too grey and "bland", sort of uninteresting. If you look at other programs, the colour accents and highlights are there for a reason: they direct the eye of the user to more important functions/buttons, etc. They help the user get an orientation of the buttons, especially if there are so many of them as in Blender.
I strongly suggest that something of this sort be put in (or back in) to Blender.

Oh yeah, and I also have the little bug of the text overlapping the edge of the buttons, WinXP with SP2, as well.

Zsolt

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:31 pm

sunray wrote:Thanks for the great work.
I just download it from the URL above.
But there's something wrong in my windows xp sp2.
Some text out of the frame.
Look the pic please.
http://www.chinamct.com/Tmpdata/Fontproblem.gif
http://www.chinamct.com/Tmpdata/Fontproblem1.gif
I assume that these will be resolved when the buttons are moved to their new places where they will have more room for text?

yeah, if you look at the object buttons you will notice that they were designed with the larger buttons in mind and don't have the overlapping problem.

Broken - what about the effects buttons? I saw somewhere that you will not be working on those, but they really need the work. And why are they on the far left now? Shouldn't the object and hooks screen be on the left, as they are more important?

How about finally getting rid of the lamp/material windows and making them one window?

And tall buttons do not work, you may need to code something to get around that. Look at klopsutil, the "Align" button.

Also, the unified renderer button doesn't work.

I also get this on running many builtin scripts:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 67, in ?
zipimport.ZipImportError: bad local file header in C:\PROGRAM FILES\BLENDER FOUN
DATION\BLENDER\PYTHON23.zip

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:34 pm

well, now we are going to have to rewrite a bunch of scripts to look good.

And is there a way to group buttons in python?

that zip problem can be solved by using a .zip from an older build.

still working on it.

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:01 am

-efbie- wrote:But what i like the best is the new layout for object buttons. The first time i used it i didn't noticed it has changed. It's when i came back to the bf-blender that i thought 'but where are hidden those buttons ?'

The new layout is far mor practical and intuitive :) I was afraid when reading the wiki that everyone would be confused, but now it's the old interface that confuses me :)
Good to hear, I'm sure William will appreciate it too, since object buttons was mostly his doing. There's more to come.
franzrogar wrote:In bf-2.36 there's few buttons that do that.
In touhopuu 3 *latest* the 90% of buttons do that.
(And some other strange sync problems)
Really? That's weird, the redrawing code should be similar. Need more help and information to investigate it properly - which button contexts are having the problems? Which are ok in 2.36 but not in tuhopuu? Can you describe the sync problems better?
-efbie- wrote:Since a theme weigth only 12Ko,could several themes be included with the release ? I use different themes on my laptop and my CRT because TFT screens are more 'shiny'I think other people feel the same.
Well, the plan is to include at least a light theme (as current) and a dark theme (same hues, but dark greys) by default. The specific colours like the background can be tweaked before any talk of releases etc, that's ok. I do like how the lighter background works in Wings though - much nicer contrast.
And how do you make different 3D object shading ? i especially like the pink one that is shown here : http://mke3.net/blender/interface/3dvie ... itmode.png
That's in the OpenGL light settings in user prefs. I guess this should really be in the theme settings instead.
SamAdam wrote:Broken - what about the effects buttons? I saw somewhere that you will not be working on those, but they really need the work. And why are they on the far left now? Shouldn't the object and hooks screen be on the left, as they are more important?
Re. effects, yes absolutely it needs work. Right now it's a bit further down the priorities since the panel right now is quite self-contained, and there's a lot of uncertainty about what will happen to that sort of funcitonality - I previously proposed the creation of a new object sub-context called 'Dynamics' which could contain (with much more room to breathe) things like particles, particle interaction, soft bodies, and potentially rigid bodies if/when they ever arrive. Not much feedback on that sort of thing so far though.

As for the ordering, yeah, it's defined correctly in the code, but I think it's a problem with the way Blender is looking at the position of the panels stored in the .B.blend and trying to keep your saved layout. If you create a new buttons window (for example) by changing your 3D View to a buttons window, it should initialise it all properly and look like this. In any case, in the case of a release, it would be best to make an updated default .B.blend anyway to be sure.
How about finally getting rid of the lamp/material windows and making them one window?

Hm, it could make sense but I have a feeling it may be rather difficult because of all 'legacy' stuff in code. Dunno.
And tall buttons do not work, you may need to code something to get around that. Look at klopsutil, the "Align" button.
Bugger. Thanks for the report, should be an easy fix.
Also, the unified renderer button doesn't work.
Not my doing :) - see how it goes after new render buttons have been committed.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:28 pm

I just made a pink theme for this new interface. the white cups are with the default shader. I tried to make the default shader look like ceramic or 'fimo' material. When there is too much specular it is difficult to judge the roundness of shapes.
theme :
http://www.mentalwarp.com/~fred/divers/Pink.zip

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:57 pm

Zsolt wrote:Except for one thing: the rest of the GUI is too grey and "bland", sort of uninterestingZsolt
...and i didn't like the rounded style too, it is too round for me. I never understand why we have a rounded menu now too when you did not use the rounded theme.

But anyway if all the other themes and styles are available like now no problem at all.

PS: Checkboxes etc. seems to be space killer too :(
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:20 pm

Newest build 20040107 has problems with button alignment.
New render buttons will take some time getting used to, but that's ok - they pretty:)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:59 pm

Bellorum wrote:Newest build 20040107 has problems with button alignment.
Where? What? How? More information, please!

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:42 pm

Sorry for that. It's more of a panel alignment problem. Usually, you can align horizontally and vertically, by RMB in the buttons window. That seems to be broken. Also, I can't pan freely in the buttons window(I wanted to center the panels)

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:53 pm

Well, the panning hasn't been touched, so I don't know what's up there. As for the alignment:
Log:
A bit experimental - added a right-click menu for buttons, with
Copy and Paste available there. I have ideas for other options to
go in such a menu too, like Insert Key and Remove Key (for the
individual values/channels), web links to help references, etc.
This may not be so easy in practice, let's see how it goes :)

The Panel Alignment menu can now be opened by right-clicking on a
panel header as opposed to anywhere in the buttons space as it was
previously.

PS. Does anyone feel like coding some general cross-platform
os-native copy and paste functionality into GHOST? ;)
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/t ... 01220.html

And of course the panel alignment is still available in the 'Panels' menu. There is some discussion about this on the tuhopuu-devel list.

PS. Feedback on if the render preset saving is working correctly for everyone would be good, too :)