bf-blender / Windows (2005/01/19)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

venomgfx

Post by venomgfx »

blendix wrote:Edge selections are only preserved when edge data is stored, and Blender doesn't do this by default, to save some memory. So by pressing the "Make" button next to Edges in the Mesh panel, Editing buttons, will allow you to keep the selections.
wow i didn't know that, thank you very much blendix!
that "make" button is there from long time ago, is only used for keeping the selections? or have another use?

thanks again.

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo »

They store creases information, if you want to delete all the creases of your model just erase the edge data

Actarus

Post by Actarus »

The "soft" button is a bit too large I think ... will it be replaced by a smaller one (with a small icon on it) ?
(sorry for my poor english, I'm french)

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

Am i right the button just enables/ diables soft bodies but where to configure them? I would prefer a image button may with symbol of a soft ice :)

http://www.ingman.fi/images/tuotteet/softis.jpg
http://www.ingman.fi/images/tuotteet/dippis.jpg

BTW: Food buttons have tradition in Blender - we have the potato button :)
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose »

Actarus wrote:The "soft" button is a bit too large I think ... will it be replaced by a smaller one (with a small icon on it) ?
I am pretty sure it will disappear, like the cryptic parameter panel.

@scooter:
There are no 'usable' softbodies in blender right now. There is an engine to simulate mass spring systems. Well, to enable it and set the parameters for testing some UI controls oozed in the current CVS build. The wiki assumes the reader knows the concepts of goals and springs in maya, the influence of weight painting on it and the physical model behind.

BM

scooterl

Post by scooterl »

@scooter:
There are no 'usable' softbodies in blender right now.
Oh, thank God. I thought I had suddenly lost all of my reading comprehension skills when I tried to get that wiki tute to work.

One question, though, which is that the sample softbody .blend files work just fine, but I can't create a working .blend softbody from scratch. Why would the sample files work but not anything newly created?

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

scooterl wrote:Why would the sample files work but not anything newly created?
May be you don't named correctly the softobject (must be: soft+anything Ex: softSUSY) or may be you don't was create a vertexgroup called: softgoal.

http://www.nicodigital.com/allow/gelatina.avi

I think several things (nice ones) can be done with the actual state of the softbodies code ;)
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

scooterl

Post by scooterl »

May be you don't named correctly the softobject (must be: soft+anything Ex: softSUSY) or may be you don't was create a vertexgroup called: softgoal.
No, I named the object "softSphere", and got access to the Softbodies panel; then, I selected all of its vertices and created a vertex group called "SOFTGOAL" (all capital letters, as per the instructions). I emulated the sample files by parenting a plane to the "softSphere" and then animating the plane, but the soft object doesn't wiggle and jiggle like it does in the sample files. And I'm pressing the "soft" button, and not getting a 'Zombie' warning on my soft object, so ... my confusion over testing the features.

Errr ... the SOFTGOAL vertex group is supposed to be on the soft object, no?

If anyone's got it working and is willing to type out a step-by-step, I'd appreciate it.

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose »

scooterl wrote:
No, I named the object "softSphere", and got access to the Softbodies panel; then, I selected all of its vertices and created a vertex group called "SOFTGOAL" (all capital letters, as per the instructions). I emulated the sample files by parenting a plane to the "softSphere" and then animating the plane, but the soft object doesn't wiggle and jiggle like it does in the sample files. And I'm pressing the "soft" button, and not getting a 'Zombie' warning on my soft object, so ... my confusion over testing the features.

Errr ... the SOFTGOAL vertex group is supposed to be on the soft object, no?

If anyone's got it working and is willing to type out a step-by-step, I'd appreciate it.
There are several reasons for the object not to jiggle.
1. The SOFTGOAL group weights are all set to 1.0
2. The vertices have no mass
3. All spring constants are set to 0.0
BM

scooterl

Post by scooterl »

There are several reasons for the object not to jiggle.
1. The SOFTGOAL group weights are all set to 1.0
Huh? The group weights on ALL of the sample .blend soft objects are set to 1.0 -- and they work!

I've given up, anyway. Far too much time wasted trying to decipher awful directions.

Nevermind. I'll just never understand why you bothered to put this feature up for beta testing if you offer no clear explanation on how to use it!

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

scooterl wrote:I'll just never understand why you bothered to put this feature up for beta testing if you offer no clear explanation on how to use it!
??? :shock:

I think no one was search a beta tester for this feature, but a internal use only until first real CVS (without hiden panels) release.

BTW, I don't find dificult to do things with the actual implementation, and I am thankful to the coders let me play with it.

Why don't you wait until oficial release?
Caronte.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Nevermind. I'll just never understand why you bothered to put this feature up for beta testing if you offer no clear explanation on how to use it!
Yeah, wonder why he bothers coding it at all with so many cheerful comments :? Can't say I understand things fully yet, but I'm patient enough to wait, and am greatful that BM offers us the possibility to try out his work in process. Give the guy a break.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

bmud

Post by bmud »

Hail to that.. I'll agree that the softbody stuff is way out of my scope for now. Keep up the great work my friends! I will learn in due time...

* The texture text is a lovely feature that will help on some machines.
* While you're at it, if possible, could all the words on the IPO panel's right side be shifted a little to the left? or change "damping" to "damp" with a tooltip.. That's just a nitpicky thing.
* so, we'll be using weight paint for definition for softbody interaction.. But that's the same weight paint that will be used for armatures.. if a point is "heavily" sticky to a bone, I'm confused to how it will "heavily" be wiggly as well, unless the two are direct opposites.. but, meh, like i said.. in due time.

oh yeah, one last thing, if 'soft' is put infront of a name to make it interact with the environment, does that mean a 'rigid' already works?? or are physics made some other way..?

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

bmud wrote:* so, we'll be using weight paint for definition for softbody interaction.. But that's the same weight paint that will be used for armatures.. if a point is "heavily" sticky to a bone, I'm confused to how it will "heavily" be wiggly as well, unless the two are direct opposites.. but, meh, like i said.. in due time.
You use a diferent vertexgroup (named; "SOFTGOAL") and you don't use the vertexgroups named like bones.
bmud wrote:oh yeah, one last thing, if 'soft' is put infront of a name to make it interact with the environment, does that mean a 'rigid' already works?? or are physics made some other way..?
The softbodies system is under construction and in the current state only basic functions (springs, mass, etc) are implemented. No collision detection at this moment, no rigidbodies as well.

P.D: I hope bjornmose correct me if i'm wrong ;)
Caronte.

lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

scooterl wrote: Nevermind. I'll just never understand why you bothered to put this feature up for beta testing if you offer no clear explanation on how to use it!
I think it's very ungrateful. This feature is the best one in the dynamic animation system, and i've done some good tests actually, just by reading the wiki page(clothes, jelly and others) even if there's still no collision computations at time. Thanks to developpers. Try and see ;-)