instinctive-blender 2, new SDL-based game engine sound

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

intrr

instinctive-blender 2, new SDL-based game engine sound

Post by intrr »

Announcing an intermediate release for public testing of the new SDL-based game engine sound system, for potential inclusion in bf-blender.

For general information on instinctive-blender and install/usage, please read the following thread:

http://blender.org/modules.php?op=modlo ... pic&t=5110

Download a linux release or the source here:

http://blender.instinctive.de/downloads/release/

(release date 20050129)

Please report your findings with the sound system to this thread. I don't know how much functionality was implemented or how well it worked in the openal-based (prior) soundsystem, because it never worked for me on any box i tried.

== PLEASE CONTRIBUTE BUILDS! ==

intrr

Post by intrr »

A game test file for the new sound system can be found here:

http://pub.intrr.org/game_engine_sound.blend.gz

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

unlike the unreal tournament 2004 demo this doesn't have any static or problems with making the sounds seem 3d

however, they seem like they could be more 3d. Having not studied audio I couldn't suggest much how they could be improved.

halibut

Post by halibut »

z3r0_d wrote:unlike the unreal tournament 2004 demo this doesn't have any static or problems with making the sounds seem 3d

however, they seem like they could be more 3d. Having not studied audio I couldn't suggest much how they could be improved.

I play uneal tournament 2004 all the time, but am not quite sure what you mean about the problems? Perhaps they have been patched out?

I can't try the build as not on linux, but please include in BF :)

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

halibut wrote:
z3r0_d wrote:unlike the unreal tournament 2004 demo this doesn't have any static or problems with making the sounds seem 3d
I play uneal tournament 2004 all the time, but am not quite sure what you mean about the problems? Perhaps they have been patched out?
I've only seen the problem in linux

also, i haven't seen a patch changelog which mentions audio at all

unreal tournament uses openal which many people have had problems with [assuming they get it to work]

well anyway, to get this to build in windows SDL_mixer is required, as are libvorbis and smpeg [for ogg and mp3 support respectively]....

xeetstreet

Post by xeetstreet »

How about increasing the stereo image?

http://www.musicdsp.org/showArchiveComm ... hiveID=173

intrr

Post by intrr »

Such techniques only work in optimal listening situations, which you rarely encounter in a normal PeeCee Gamer's environment probably...

For general use, I would think normal panning and what the system does for behind (invert one channel's phase + lowpass) is enough for now.

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

Please someone can do a compilation from the latest release (20050129) of instinctive_blender for windows platform?
P.D: I don't know how to compiling for my self :(

Thanks.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

Caronte wrote:Please someone can do a compilation from the latest release (20050129) of instinctive_blender for windows platform?
P.D: I don't know how to compiling for my self :(

Thanks.
I've tried, sound hasn't worked

being a bit lacking on time I haven't found a solution yet

[I used cygwin, some changes had to be made but nothing incredibly significant]

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

z3r0_d wrote: I've tried, sound hasn't worked

being a bit lacking on time I haven't found a solution yet

[I used cygwin, some changes had to be made but nothing incredibly significant]
Ugh!! :?
Thanks anyway ;) may be next time.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

malefico

Post by malefico »

I have tried iblender2 in a small network and found the following issues:

1- iblender2 creates a folder filename.blend as in the docs, however, this folder is created in such a way that cannot be access by anyone, (including root !). Only workaround I found was manually creating it before start rendering. Then folder and images can be accessed with no problems.

2- I only get black images. I mean, world is rendered OK, but all geometry is rendered black, no matter what I do, is just like lights layer weren't active. However, rendering without "render daemon" active, gives correct images.

I tried latest binary on Mandrake 10 machines.

Do you have any clue as what is going on ?

Regards.

malefico.

intrr

Post by intrr »

That is indeed a strange problem. Toggling the "Render Daemon" button shouldn't do any harm to the scene's lighting... sorry, can't imagine what the problem is.

The permissions problem is fixed in the latest release, could you see the CHANGELOG to check if the release you tried already has the fix?

xeetstreet

Post by xeetstreet »

intrr wrote:Such techniques only work in optimal listening situations, which you rarely encounter in a normal PeeCee Gamer's environment probably...

For general use, I would think normal panning and what the system does for behind (invert one channel's phase + lowpass) is enough for now.
Actually, your wrong. Removing commonalities (at key frequencies) is a common way of increasing the stereo field, and only requires an average stereo speaker setup to work properly. It will work no less than with a speaker setup that works with the invert phase/lowpass technique.