Tuhopuu3 / Windows (2005/03/04)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theeth

Post by theeth »

modron wrote:hey guys, minor bug: can't grab/move camera in camera view.
argh! I don't think I have enough fingers anymore to count the number of people that reported that.

Still, too much reporting is better than none.

Gabio didn't link to it in this thread (although he did in the bf-blender one) but I keep a bug list and to do list in the development wiki, so you might want to check there before reporting bugs: http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Ble ... efactoring

Also, all the changes are commited to bf-blender right now and tuhopuu is only synched once a week so don't expect bug fixes to be commited to both automaticly.

thanks

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

gabio

Post by gabio »

theeth wrote:
modron wrote:hey guys, minor bug: can't grab/move camera in camera view.
argh! I don't think I have enough fingers anymore to count the number of people that reported that.

Still, too much reporting is better than none.

Gabio didn't link to it in this thread (although he did in the bf-blender one) but I keep a bug list and to do list in the development wiki, so you might want to check there before reporting bugs: http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Ble ... efactoring

Also, all the changes are commited to bf-blender right now and tuhopuu is only synched once a week so don't expect bug fixes to be commited to both automaticly.

thanks

Martin
My bad, just added the link as a reminder for next time. gonna do a better job then.

theeth

Post by theeth »

gabio wrote:gonna do a better job then.
You mean me bugfixing or you posting links? ;)

Martin
- John Lennon

oyster

Post by oyster »

-phase
Log:
Introducing 3D Unicode font support.
Does that mean it is a step near to using Chinese, Japanase etc characters in Blender? That is nice!

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

oyster wrote:
-phase
Log:
Introducing 3D Unicode font support.
Does that mean it is a step near to using Chinese, Japanase etc characters in Blender?
Yes: http://mke3.net/blender/etc/jk_hello.png

@ner_

Post by @ner_ »

i don't know if this was reported (I don't want to feel the wrath of theeth :P )
so take it easy:
when i render and move to another window the render window is all black untill the next part that is computed appears but everything that was computed before that stays black.

yamyam

Post by yamyam »

Bit late, Thank you for Unicode supports. Phase and Mika Saari!!

Have a break, It's teatime now!
(OK, They looks bad, but they are cookies of Japanese letter (and tea) :oops: )

theeth

Post by theeth »

@ner_ wrote:when i render and move to another window the render window is all black untill the next part that is computed appears but everything that was computed before that stays black.
AFAIK, this was always the case. That's because it doesn't redraw continuously, it only adds new scanlines on top as they get rendered. Doing a full redraw on each pass would affect performance, though I have no idea how much.

Martin
- John Lennon

joeri

Post by joeri »

Basically, markers are used to mark spots on the timeline, that may
mean something to you, so you can easily find that point later.

Additional functionality could be
- "snap to marker" where when moving the current frame with the mouse it would like to 'sit' on a marker. (or even closest marker).
- set current frame to next / prev marker, so the animator can easely jump to a marker in a simular way as next/prev key, but only to interesting points.

I like it.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

Some feedback for the the axis choosing methods :

The most i use the new axis constraining methods the less i like them. Here is my proposals.

Choosing the right axis when grabbing an object
The current systems doesn't work well for several reasons :
*First, the system is using interaction between two uninteresting items: the cusor, and the objects center, those items aren't the interest of the user when he is moving his object. He doesn't want to look at the center or at the cursor, he wants to see where is the object moving, the interest of the user is the direction. So the axis choosing method should use that information.
* Second : Selecting an axis with the cursor doesn't move the object in the direction that the user wants. This is confusing. You want to constrain the move the one axis, and you must move your object in another way....

if the current methods are elegant on paper they are quite unintuitive. I personally don't want to look carefully where is my cursor, where are the axis...

First easy solution :
Don't move the object at all when choosing the axis, so the user isn't disturbed by the object motion.

My proposal :
* first the user press MMB
then when you move or scale an object, the vector determined by the first position of the cursor, and the second position of the cursor is translated to the center of the mesh. then, the angle between this vector and the axis is compared. The angles computed are the angles 'on screen' Then the closest axis is highlighted.
when the users have found the right axis, he press MMB
- the constraint is active.
- pressing again MMB cancels all the constraints and return to free scale/ grab / rotation.
this method would work well for grab, scale, skew, to sphere, etc... These methods uses the "direction" so uses this axis selection methods.

You can see on the mockup that with the current system, the user would have picked the red axis, wich is not the direction the object is moving.

Rotations and Planes constraints.
* Obviously rotations are plane constrained, when you rotate something you do it in a plane. Selecting the axis of rotations involve rotating the object in a completely unintuitive way to select the correct axis.

My proposal :
first, we should use the alt key instead of the ctrl, because ctrl 'freezes' the object and you can't see where you are going,

Second : the three axis always divdes the screen into three parts, the system is really simple. If the "mouse vector" we discussed before is pointing between two axis on the screen, then these two axis determines the constraining plane. It would work fine for grab and scale, but for rotations we would simply select the plane by putting the mouse cursor between two axis. Rotation is too atypical to have the same system a the other transformations.

What do you think ?

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt »

Followup on -efbie-'s comments:

- I agree with what you said on highlighting the axes, the user tends to follow the motion of the object, not the cursor. The object should stand still.
- I would also add that the three (X,Y,Z) axes should be highlighted more boldly, either with brighter colours, or a thicker line. It is hard to see them in the 3Dview, especially with complex wireframes visible.
- Planar constraints should somehow highlight the plane, not only the two axes used.

TorQ

Post by TorQ »

-efbie- wrote: First easy solution :
Don't move the object at all when choosing the axis, so the user isn't disturbed by the object motion.
I think this at least sounds like a very good idea!

TorQ

modron

Post by modron »

i checked the bugs and didn't notice anything about this: in a blend where I was trying to reproduce softboy ( @ndys character ), if I move anything in the scene = crash. i can provide the .blend if this is not a known bug. i suppose it could also be a corrupt file.
<edit> it occured to me that this might be caused by the fact that i haven't updated python recently.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

I found that annoying as well, but here's what I do: I place the mousecursor at axis of choice before I hit 'G'. That way I can just hit 'G' and MMB and start moving immediately, without that annoying 'jump'.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

theeth

Post by theeth »

Oh, I see why you're all asking for the "don't move object" thing. The development of the new transform code is no longer done in tuhopuu, so it lags a lot behind feature-wise as it's only synched once a week. I'd appreciate (and so will you probably) if the testing on that was done on bf-blender builds as this would much more reflect the up to date work (and the bug/to do list in the wiki ;) ).

Back to the first point, when selecting a constraint, it now activates the constraint which is highlighted, so you have an instant preview before releasing MMB. I think that is even better than not moving the object at all (and was suggested by slikdigit).

Martin
- John Lennon