bf-blender / Windows (2005/03/18)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theeth

Post by theeth » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:14 pm

iaminnocent wrote:
theeth wrote: The old system used the 3D motion, this one uses the 2D motion. Just that means that it doesn't under the same problems when using extreme orientations.
Martin
I understand the principle which is very sound.
But then why do I get those result where the same very vertical 2D motion gives flawless results when I am close to the Z-axis but becomes erratic, looking more like its the position that matters, when my pointer is further awayfrom that Z-axis but still moving parallel to it ?
That's because you're moving your pointer away from the Z-axis when using transform itself, so the motion is not only vertical, it has that horizontal part too.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:43 pm

Hmm. The new middlemouse axisconstraints work great for grabbing, but are very awkward for rotate:/
Last edited by Bellorum on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:46 pm

The widget appears at the pivot point. However, grabbing is the only transform that doesn't depend on the pivot point (scaling and rotating do). I tend to keep the pivot point on 3D cursor, since I can easily place it at any given point with the Shift-S snap menu. But then when editing zoomed in, the widget appears off screen, and I can't see it, even if the selection I made is on the screen...

I believe for grabbing, the widget should always be somewhere near the selection, like at its median point, that would be more user friendly.

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 pm

theeth wrote:That's because you're moving your pointer away from the Z-axis
If I *start* further away from the Z-axis the result is no different. :(
Believe me : I so want them to be better.
when using transform itself, so the motion is not only vertical, it has that horizontal part too.
Martin
If it is 2D motion that is taken into account, the ratio of the vertical motion to the horizontal motion should be very high nevertheless ; after all I do many motions up and down after I moved further to the right : isn't that high ratio enough ? I tried to steady the mouse against the edge of a heavy board *and* starting to the right then making that ratio extremely high with no better results.

Forget it : obviously my feedback is not helping you and if I am wrong I only add to your certainly already heavy workload.

Regards,

Jean

theeth

Post by theeth » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:20 am

I made a little demo with wink showing what I mean by motion based: http://www.elysiun.com/~theeth/demo.htm

As you can see, I did the same motion with the mouse each time resulting in the same constraint, regardless of the cursor position (before entering transform).

I hope that clearer.

Martin
- John Lennon

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:41 am

Yes, yes yes yes ! I've found the difference!
While you flash MMB, lock to a constraint, do your move and then exit the grab mode, I stayed in grab mode, trying to change the axis constraint. God know why since I wouldn't work that way ever !

Thanks for sticking with me :lol:

Now, the globals axes appear only when we press MMB : when in perspective and far away from the origin it is quite hard to figure out the orientation of the view without them. Makes it hard to move in the right direction before flashing MMB. Could it be a good thing if the appeared as soon as the G/R/S have been pressed ?

You see what you've got for encouraging me ?
:lol:

Jean

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:49 am

BTW, I tried the new rotation / scaling widget : that's quite a balm for my old mouse arthritis !

Are you nearing anything you'd call a version for the transform reform ?

Jean

theeth

Post by theeth » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:12 am

iaminnocent wrote:Now, the globals axes appear only when we press MMB : when in perspective and far away from the origin it is quite hard to figure out the orientation of the view without them. Makes it hard to move in the right direction before flashing MMB. Could it be a good thing if the appeared as soon as the G/R/S have been pressed ?
Well, you don't have to move before pressing MMB, you can hold it down, move to constraint to the axis you want and release.

Martin
- John Lennon

iaminnocent

Post by iaminnocent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:31 am

That's pretty much what I've been doing, except for remaining in grag mode that is. But it was my understanding that real MMB flashers found that this was too slow a process for their fast synapses. ;)

Anyway, thanks for everything and the best of luck.

Jean

yeonil

Post by yeonil » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:47 pm

Hello, maybe I overlooked something, but I found impossible to change the color of the background while using KEY in render buttons (the one preserving the OSA to blend with the background)... it always remain black, while in previous builds I could change the colour freely

I'm glad that the camera now moves actually (in the new transform), but are we gonna get back that neat zooming(similar to the previous g+mmb), from the previous system? (treat it as a bump :D )

Thanks

Yeonil

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:51 pm

Like ever, the SizeX,Y,Z input does not show the size is shows the scale factor. So it must renamed to scale or there must be shown real size.
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

ysvry

the extrude function doesnt work just does a grab

Post by ysvry » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:19 am

press e then try to extrude just the choosen face move no new one is created i like the addition to the transform with mmb. in max you can easily make a duplicate by holding the shift key while transforming maybe such can be implemented too? under mesh tools cant there also be a button for straight transforms and duplications in steps? for making 3d arrays? even bryce has them.

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:07 am

Realtime lighting in the game engine seems broken with this release?

Wha happen?