bf-blender / Windows (2005/03/20) updated

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:36 pm

kirpre wrote:2) How do you switch between the differnet widgets that are being tried for the rotation?
rt = 0: one handle for each rotate axis
rt = 2: traditional half-circle rotate handles
rt = 3: mixed version

rt value is in "Render buttons", in "Anim" panel.

2nd is my favourite, and center gray-ball-widget works perfect for bones. Good work!

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:38 pm

JoOngle wrote:......................

This - WILL - happen, it's just a matter of time when enough serious
companies are using Blender (and they DO - eventually, I´m one
of them) I just want to ensure that the worst-case scenario never
takes place!
I wonder if companies like Newtek will bring on the law claims first. I mean how many companies copied their style of subdivision surfaces? Max, Maya, etc.....little ol' us, hehehe.

Headline- "Ton keeps Blender alive by signing deal with the only available commercial 3d software company Newtek. BlenderWave continues on as a free open source beta development platform for all future Lightwave software releases." It could be worse...

"After the food wars, every food chain is a Taco Bell"

I think that if folks start this stuff up it will lead to chaos. It's like what happen during the break dancing days with one dance crew claiming that another crew sold their dance moves and the east coast/west coast hip hop battles. Designers and artist can be a feisty bunch at times. Let me go hide somewhere, I think I'm scared.... Hehehehe.

“Silly rabbit..you stole my trixs”......hehehe “Yeah trixs are for us kids”..hehehe.

Grabbed from US cereal commercials.

http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/5 ... mages.html

Well today we have another build so life goes on....

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:49 pm

Hmm. Can't decide if I prefer '0' or '2'.
'3' is a little confusing, in any case.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:05 pm

I like your widgets, but the rotation one needs more info. Dual axis constraints would be nice. Also, hover information could be fun for feedback, my brain gets kinda confused. :wink:

I grabbed 3ds max ones, I think they are the best.

I have difficulty selecting stuff with the widgets. It would be nice if their size would be customizable. A "select mode" could be handy too.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:09 pm

It would be nice if their size would be customizable.
Ton's way ahead of you;) He's already committed customizing options to CVS. Plus ghosting and "rotation indicator":)

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 03190.html
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:13 pm

Ahh very nice !

Is there any plan to have a quick extrude function, in many programs you do (switch)+widget.

Delta

Post by Delta » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:11 am

WOW! COOL build

i showed it to some of my friends in school who had shied away from Blender (due to its learning curve etc.) and thought that the widgets were cool and would make Blender much easier to use.

i also think that there should be an extrude widget, say maybe assigned to the [e] hotkey which would show the widget in widget mode; pressing [e] again would go to regular extrude... (kinda like with the current transform modes g/s/r)

and extrude handles for face normal, free, individual edge/vert and whatever...

in any case, its a cool build

thanks all!

edit: i happen to like the 1st rotation mode the best, the rest have too small of a clickable area, imho. but still nice options

Regards,
~Delta

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:20 am

the new transform widget stuff is very cool. However, there's a problem with changing modes (local/global/normal) - there is no indication whatsoever what mode you're in. I still like matt's MMB toggle idea - i'd like to try it, even if it seems wierd ;) Also that would be a quick way to turn widgets on and off.

Anyways, cool stuff! can't wait to see it progress :)

crsrma

Post by crsrma » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:38 am

Very cool, only crit is the scale widget probably doesn't need to be visibly transformed when scaling, possibly just use location of the "block" & length of line for visual feedback. There seems to be strange results when scaling in a negative direction, applying to the widget itself & when in editmode. Appears to happen randomly, looks like some sort of shearing happening instead of scaling.

Very useful otherwise, thanks much. :)

Oh, the default rotation widget is my favorite, the others are a little too visually busy. It seems to be more consistent with how the grab & scale widgets operate as well.

gendou

Post by gendou » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:13 am

The new transform widgets are awesome! Personally, I'd go with rt: 0 as my favorite. 2 is nice but can cover too much area, and 3 is way too busy. I agree on the scale widget not needing to scale, just a block move for visual feedback. I managed to crash blender in a ortho view, trying to move some verts on X (with the widget) while I had both Vert and Face select active.

There definitely needs to be a local/global toggle. I thought I read in this thread or another that Ton is going to add something to the header or title bar that does that. The widgets currently stay oriented to the global axis, but this IS an unfinished release, so, time will tell.

Great work! I imagine the blender community will love and appreciate your hard work. I do.

-G

gendou

Post by gendou » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:30 am

Um, ps - the scale widget causes weird flipping of the selection when scaling uniformly in the ortho view. I was in a XZ view, trying to scale 4 rectangular verts uniformly by (assumingly) grabbing the green square in the scale widget. Since I was already nearly at the center (median point) it flipped over on itself (the selection) when moved.

Also, the border select draws weird angular lines when the "B" key is pressed once. This is also in an (same) ortho view.

Hope that helps,
-G

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:21 am

Ok. the updated build. The new pie style rotation indicator is great, however when it exceeds 180 degrees, it flips over for some reason. Also, it would be cool to have an option to display angle in numbers (in proximity of he widget, I know it's shown in the header) as well, similar to Pierre-Luc's picture.

Koba

Post by Koba » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:43 am

ok..I don't often give feedback but here is what I think (if I am repeating what others have said, that just serves to gets the point across :) ).

Comments:

-I'm not too fond of the widget scaling itself to the zoom level. Perhaps it would be better if it was linked to the object size instead.

-Is there really need for that white circle?

- As already mentioned the handles for the scaling widget don't need scaling.

-Pity you can't see the widgets adjust while using mouse gestures (surely..someone must have said this already!).

-rt 0 is the best IMHO.

-Widgets are great! Excellent work!

Hopefully these can simply become customisable options. rt2 and rt3 should be retained with rt0 as default.

Koba

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:44 am

I prefer the rt=2 version too. Okay, it's not so original, but does that matter? It's very similar to Modo, Max, Softimage XSI ect, but since these have already copied each other, Blender should surely be ok to use it too.

The dual axis translation/scale gizmo from MAX looks interesting too. The ability to constrain something along two axes is often useful.

lguillaume

Post by lguillaume » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:15 pm

Koba wrote: -Is there really need for that white circle?
Koba
If you click on the white circle you can make the rotation in the local view