bf-blender / Windows (2005/03/20) updated

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Rahu

Post by Rahu » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:11 pm

Nice work, I <3 the widgets.

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:09 pm

so good to get all those new tools! The new transform code rocks!
I've tested CCGSubsurf and it's really better than CatmullClark method. Faster, clearer (shading). Just need to work with creases as well.

leander

Post by leander » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:22 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAZING!!!!!!!!!

Sorry my english, im spanish, i read this forum all days, but the new widgets features forces me to post because im surprised.

AWESOME WORK!!!

And THANKS YOU!!!!!

scuozz

Fantastic!!!

Post by scuozz » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:05 pm

I hope there will be a test build for mac os X soon

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:14 pm

After some testing I can say that I prefer RT2 mode.

For quick extrude, what about using the "e" key on hold, but I would prefer very much to have it use the "alt" key, I don't know if it is used for anything, except maybe the emulate 3 button mouse mode, which I think is silly and should be dropped. Anyone can get one for less that 20 bucks.

I see one can use dual axis constraint by using shift+arrow, very nice, but I'd prefer a more visual approach. Shift could be then freed for quick extrude. (my #1 option)

This is looking very nice guys, good work ! I'm very impressed ! :D

All we need now is a fix for the viewport rotation, hard edges and normals editing. :P

Oh and since bf-blender is now the one used for testing, can we have tuhopuu theme in it ?

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:35 pm

Blender can't find my script :(
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:27 pm

Ahhh, better all the time! This is probably the first really user-friendly change in a long time in Blender!

Some things I noted (and others might have also done the same):
- The handles of the resize widget shouldn't scale, but the grey one in the middle should
- The pie should have the angles, signed (plus or minus) and shouldn't flip over at 180, but should continue on, depending on which direction you started turning it.
except maybe the emulate 3 button mouse mode, which I think is silly and should be dropped.
Ummm, NO! Yeah, like I'm going to go around the several hundred PCs at school, and replace all the mice... actually some have a third button, but they aren't configured for acting as a third button
That's like saying: "Oh well, more people use Windows than Linux, so let's just drop support for Linux cause it's silly."
What about Macs? Do they still use one button mice?

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:55 pm

"Oh well, more people use Windows than Linux, so let's just drop support for Linux cause it's silly."
Now that's an idea.

:wink:
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:24 am

Zsolt wrote:
except maybe the emulate 3 button mouse mode, which I think is silly and should be dropped.
Ummm, NO! Yeah, like I'm going to go around the several hundred PCs at school, and replace all the mice... actually some have a third button, but they aren't configured for acting as a third button
Unless I'm mistaken, but by default, mice rotating wheel is used as a 3rd button. I don't know what kind of school you're in, but all [95%] the schools actually having design and 3d software have to use 3 buttons mice, it is a minimum requirement on most of the 3d packages available.
That's like saying: "Oh well, more people use Windows than Linux, so let's just drop support for Linux cause it's silly."
This is totally different. Don't make comparisons on things don't compare.
What about Macs? Do they still use one button mice?
Mac has no problem with 3 button mice. And as I said, 3 button mice are cheap, nobody on a Mac can't buy one.

But hey, this is just my opinion. I was considering the fact that all the mice now have a scrolling wheel (except real real cheap 5 bucks ones).

Delta

Post by Delta » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:01 am

a bunch of you guys are talking about dual axis constraints...

well, you're in luck!

just press [shift] while you click on one of the widgets and Blender will constrain to the OTHER two axis...

this made me very happy when i found out about it...

Regards,
~Delta

halibut

Post by halibut » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:30 am

How about the angle indicator doesn't flip at 180º, and also it gets darker and darker the more turns you make. ie, at the start of the second turn, it will go an even darker grey. Some software I have used already does this but I have forgotten which :?

Caronte

Post by Caronte » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:48 am

A good way to work with widgets would be:

If you press S,G or R you enter these modes with widgets activated, but if you press SS, GG or RR you enter the old transformation mode.

I think it's faster this way.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:02 am

halibut wrote:How about the angle indicator doesn't flip at 180º, and also it gets darker and darker the more turns you make. ie, at the start of the second turn, it will go an even darker grey. Some software I have used already does this but I have forgotten which :?
Hmm, does blender know you turned an object 720º ? Or does it clip the rotation to 0º ?

thoro

Post by thoro » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:18 am

...simply amazing!

LMB on widget center is a good way to switch to local mode.

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, but by default, mice rotating wheel is used as a 3rd button. I don't know what kind of school you're in, but all [95%] the schools actually having design and 3d software have to use 3 buttons mice, it is a minimum requirement on most of the 3d packages available.
It's a technical university. And the three hundred or so new computers in the main computer center all lack a scroll wheel. They have a third button, and the third button is configured to scroll, and not as a "3rd button". Minimum requirement? The first program that had that as a requirement for me was Blender... I use 3DSMax, AutoCAD and Mechanical Desktop at school, none of them need it, I've also tried Maya and Cinema4D, and don't remember those needing it either.
Well, anyways, my point was that an already existing feature shouldn't be dropped from Blender just because one user would "prefer very much" that its button be used for something else, and finds the old feature silly...

Sorry for that analogy, but I do think they compare to some extent. I mean you can get Windows for 20 bucks too (well, maybe an older version :))

Halibut: for example 3DSmax does this.

joeri: yeah, I think it does clip it. When you rotate something by eg. 390 degrees, and insert a keyframe, it only inserts it for 30 degrees.