bf-blender / Windows (2005/03/23)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

solmax

Post by solmax » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:28 pm

i agree CTRL was a bad choice for switching transform mode.

since the two modes are quite different i would rather prefer a user option (no widgets: as usual; widgets: drag-to-transform). mixing them up is of no use (for me).

rt: 0 is the best and most intuitive rot-widget IMO.

at a resolution of 1600x1200 i don't really miss the fullscreen function, but i fully understand all complaints of ppl with smaller monitors/resolutions.

hm, maybe deactivate proportional transform during transform right after extrusion? it moves old and new geometry at the same amount and can be quite frustrating..

marin

lusque

Post by lusque » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:49 pm

poutsa wrote:If possible a Additional Universal Manipulator all in one(Transform Widgets R,S,G) like in SILO 3D Application..
I never worked with SILO but I did a quick mockup in PS to see what it could look like:
Also I found a bug in the way the gizmo is currently displayed:
Do I have to submit to the bugtracker? Or the bugtracker is only for official blender releases?

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:55 pm

Super-cluttered is a fitting description;)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:59 pm

Hmm. Images are shown to me only after I cut and paste the links.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:40 pm

CVS log today:
Log:
Added Manipulator Combo mode, with translate/rotate/scale combined. Center
remains translate though. Can be activitated as 4th CTRL hotkey cycle.
Which means that now we'll have 4 options to cycle through, instead of three. Anyone think it is getting better? :?
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:47 pm

I think this behaviour is only temporary. at least i hope so.

crsrma

Post by crsrma » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:51 pm

The SCAIO gizmo: Please no, I got a headache just looking at it.. something about those particular rotation handles.

Seriously, that caused me physical pain. You may have inadvertantly conjured some dark force into our world through the coupling of all the various widgets. As I believe you've stumbled upon some ancient runic symbol that - when aligned just so, orthographically - creates an opening between some abhorrent dimension & our own.

Congratulations, for bringing upon the endtimes and horror beyond comprehension.

Gotta go now, think I hear Cthulhu calling. :D :shock:

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:53 pm

I think this behaviour is only temporary. at least i hope so.
Yeah, well, I don't know - because we seem to be downright ignored on the matter. The combo manipulator aside, which is cool, having to cycle through 4 choices is n-o-t efficient.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:06 pm

have you tried looking at the code for the manipulators?

just change it yourself. the code isn't too hard, i didn't like the center sphere, it blocked the view of the vertex I was working with, so I got rid of it.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:16 pm

Why not build your own house, said the mason - there's nothing to it. *sigh* Ok. I have cygwin installed, downloaded the source. Someone tell me what to look for, and I will try to figure out what to do.

Btw, I made a new build and tried the combo-manipulator, and I think the different "handles" are to clumped together to work quickly.

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:31 pm

Noone has mentioned this, but the type 2 rotation widget (my favourite by the way...) has a small bug, that when one of the half-cirlces is close to parallel with the screen, it disappears. NOT GOOD! Especially since this is exactly the view that you would normally want to rotate any object around that axis!

See:
http://zedman.uw.hu/images/rt2_widgetbug.jpg

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am

Bellorum wrote:Anyone think it is getting better? :?
I think we're heading in the wall if it goes on like that.

Why not only keep the widgets on/off toggle and forget that damned CTRL thing, which is probably the worst implementation of widgets ever ?

I'd have a toggle between the 3 modes (normal/widget/comboWidget) in the preferences panel. It would be the best solution IMO.

It is redundant, but giving the choice is what makes it so good.

And sorry to sound harsh but I dislike very much lusque's proposition. It is the best example of clutter you could ever see.

Blender is so damn good because can be executed from the keyboard, flow is smooth and good. :)

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:15 am

Bellorum wrote:Why not build your own house, said the mason - there's nothing to it. *sigh* Ok. I have cygwin installed, downloaded the source. Someone tell me what to look for, and I will try to figure out what to do.

Btw, I made a new build and tried the combo-manipulator, and I think the different "handles" are to clumped together to work quickly.
don't even start to go there.

i have no idea about c coding!

i just mess around as much as anyone else can.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:57 am

don't even start to go there.

i have no idea about c coding!

i just mess around as much as anyone else can.
:)
Sorry then.

Rahu

Post by Rahu » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:41 am

Can anyone post a screen of the new transform widget for those of us who are too lazy to download cvs and compile.