bf-blender / Windows (2005/03/23)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kitsu

Post by kitsu » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:37 pm

I just spent a few minutes testing out the transform stuff and I really like the new axis display. I tested grab, rotate, scale in object and edit mode and everything worked as I expected it to.

I have one suggestion though, I believe it would make more sense/be more useful if in edit mode local axis constraints were relative to the mean vertex normal. This would mean that when one vert is seleced the local z axis would be along its normal, and with four were selected (a face) the z would be along the face's normal. It would also be useful if the local axis were per select mode object e.g. in face mode each face would have its own local axis with z along the face normal. This would mean selecting all verts and hitting 'gxx' would be eqivalent to scaling uniformly around the object's center...

I would also say the new widgets make it easier to see what axis/plane you are transforming on. I also tried the new transform gizmo but it seems kind of clumsy compared to the normal g,r,s method. I'm very glad widget control is turned off by default.

Code: Select all

number = 0
sum = Vector([0,0,0])
for vert in selectedVerts:
    normal = vert.n
    sum += normal
    number += 1
meanNormal = sum/number

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:46 pm

Please add the viewport fix that is in the Bf-committers Digest, Vol 8, Issue 72, message 4, to the next build please ! :D

EDIT: Woops, didn't see it was in the news & chat section already. :oops:

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:23 pm

The widgets are excellent.

My choice would be rt 0 for the rotating widget, its visually most attractive and fits as a theme with the move and scale ones

rt 2 isn't bad either, but make the line thicker and non-shaded

rt 3 is too confusing/busy

I hate the fourth option for the rotating widget
reason: I wanted to try it out, and everytime I wanted the cube to turn in a certain direction, it didn't do what i expected it to do. Picking the axes you want to rotate around is something that feel very unnatural (but maybe that is because no other modelling program has it that way [not saying we should have it that way ..])

I absolutely LOVE the snapping to the visual grid! In the past you had to adjust your scale in the view settings to snap smaller and smaller.
This new way will make modelling to scale and in detail and to real sizes a lot faster. This is just as good as having real values (it was the constant switching that made it a drag) LOVE IT. Leave this in please please please.....
this doesn't work in perspective mode thought (minor thing)

I agree that control for switching the widget is a nono. I tend to press g, r, s and imedialtely press control to go to snap. control as switching key is confusing this way.
Also, might be an unintentianal bug but try control up-arrow to maximize the current viewport... the view gets maximized and the widget changes... a command should only do one thing at a time, unless its a macro or script or something, right?

honestly, and i might get flamed for this, but i hadn't noticed the full screen option was gone, I 'm on windows and never use it. in fact I love the comfort of switching to other stuff that is open through the taskbar. I know there is alt-tab to switch, but that only shows you icons, not what is open in there.

anyway, my 2 cents

greets

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:40 pm

honestly, and i might get flamed for this
*Angry flame* :twisted:

:wink:
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:02 pm

Bellorum wrote:I thought that was what I just wrote :?
Ah, sorry, must have missread.

Oh, scratch that, seems like the whole fullscreen mode was disabled, not just the button.

That is bad indeed. Will ask if it can be reenabled but just with the command line switch (that way people that want it can do it and others won't be able to complain that blender crashes if they accidently pressed the button).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:26 pm

Quote:
honestly, and i might get flamed for this

*Angry flame* :twisted:
lol

poutsa

Universal Manipulator Transform Widgets

Post by poutsa » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am

Feature Request for 3D Manipulators:

If possible a Additional Universal Manipulator all in one(Transform Widgets R,S,G) like in SILO 3D Application..
How it looks the Universal Manipulator?

Download the Learning or Demo Version for Windows,Mac from here:

http://www.nevercenter.com/downloads/

Create a Object and Press the Q Button!!!

Vassilios

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:29 am

WOW!

Download and watch this AVI: less than 1Mb... ( also, check out how the 3D Gizmo changes )...

http://www.silo3d.com/Downloads/Videos/ ... uttons.zip

Mal

yamyam

Post by yamyam » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:05 am

I found two bugs. WindowsXP and Geforce FX5200. sorry if they are known bugs.

1) In default screen, Split a window at the center with RMB, then the window is splitted at the left... :shock:

2) When blender is used with window mode, make that height shorter than the window type popup and push window type icon. You'll get a black screen and Blender will be freeze... :shock:

Smb

Hi

Post by Smb » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:32 pm

Well, after some trying of the new stuff, I can say, that I really enjoy it... but I have two thing to say:
1) please, don't leave that ctrl for using the new transform, in the previous cvs ver it was much much better..

2) you could really put one extra option ( I'm really screaming for it), setting alpha to the arrows , because it is really annoying when I can't see the vertex I'm moving, this would help a lot, and no need to put that feature in object mode, only in edit mode.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:35 pm

2) you could really put one extra option ( I'm really screaming for it), setting alpha to the arrows , because it is really annoying when I can't see the vertex I'm moving, this would help a lot, and no need to put that feature in object mode, only in edit mode.
That's a good idea:)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:57 pm

Why is the fullscreen disabled? WIP? (preparation to multi-display perhaps?)

btw: put the arguments outside the quotes:
"C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\blender.exe" -W

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:08 pm

Why is the fullscreen disabled? WIP? (preparation to multi-display perhaps?)

btw: put the arguments outside the quotes:
"C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\blender.exe" -W
Been through this already:) Apparently that won't work either, the code is removed, I guess. Compatibilty issues with ATI graphics cards, that Nvidia users have to suffer for :evil:

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:39 pm

Yes sorry bellorum, the quote remark was general, not a solution to the fullscreen issue.

If the fullscreen is removed because of ATI problems then thats a bad choice it think, we don't remove MMB and RMB because some people have a 1 button mouse...

KDR_11k

Post by KDR_11k » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:45 pm

That M/CTRL-M disconuity needs a fix, the hotkey for a function shouldn't change from mode to mode.