Tuhopuu3 / Windows (2005/04/13)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gabio

Tuhopuu3 / Windows (2005/04/13)

Post by gabio »

Time to try out the new stuff...

p.s. For now on, The archive will be broken in two, so it's more easy on the server and bandwidth, but also more fast for you. I will notify when the xtra archive will be updated with new file If you already have a blender installation, the xtra files is not needed

-done with MSVC 7 and scons.
-------------------
Relevant feature:
-Testing a gradient on the mesh 'Draw Normals' line
-UI update. added hemesh tools to new editbuttons panel.
-Merge of Blender/cvs 2005/04/10
-UI candy: Button disabling (greying out)

Commit:
-broken
Log:
* Testing a gradient on the mesh 'Draw Normals' line, idea from
Pierre-Luc on the forums. Could help to see the normal direction a
bit better. Opinions?

Another little intermediate addition, something that's been needed
for a long, long, long time. Hopefully now, rather than a weird mix
of buttons disappearing (or not) based on various conditions, this
can be standardised on as much as possible. I don't know if this is
the nicest way to do it, but I've tried to keep it fairly
unobtrusive, and hey, it works.

While disabled, the buttons are tinted roughly 50% against the
background colour, and don't respond to any mouse-overs, clicks,
or tabs.

The code to use it is very simple, just like the button
alignment code. Just surround the relevant button definitions with:
uiBlockBeginDisabled(block, condition); and
uiBlockEndDisabled(block);

The 'condition' parameter is the condition under which the buttons
are disabled, so if it evaluates, the buttons are disabled, if it
equals 0, the buttons remain enabled as normal.

Eg.

uiBlockBeginDisabled(block, (!(ob->transflag & OB_DUPLIVERTS)));
uiDefButC(block, TOG|BIT|5, REDRAWVIEW3D, "Rotation", ...

This can also be used in menus, I've already included one example
usage in the 3D View -> View menu that disables the 'Camera' option
if there is no active camera in the scene:

The code for this is:

uiBlockBeginDisabled(block, (G.scene->camera == NULL) );
-- code for the menu entry here --

Anyone who would like to compile a list of places where this should
be used throughout the menus/buttons is very welcome to do so, or
even offer a patch :)

-joeedh
Log:
include files fix. Added yet even more includes to the files that needed them.

Also removed some #ifdef'd-out code. Also, switched to new version of extrude vert which I've been working on for a while. It uses the he_getSolidsAroundVert, which returns a list of half-edges, one for each "solid" that can have a adjacency queiry performed on it. It's how you solve incident vert problems.

also, modified collapse vert to use same function.
-----------------------------
A new build is available
Last edited by gabio on Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

I'm always fascinated at every Tuhopuu release ! :lol:

I like quite a bit the gradient on the normals, it's a nice addition. :)

Gabio it seems you are having problems with your server. I just tested a bunch of compression methods. 7z seems to be a lot better than zip (or rar at 2,091,157 bytes) compression, and it's an open source format (?), well at least the program is open source.

Here's the results:

crsrma

Post by crsrma »

Good suggestion, I've been using 7-zip to archive .blend files for some time & it's been nothing but a pleasant experience.

official site: www.7-zip.org

Another option would be to start seeding torrents for your test builds, would inadvertently be creating a sort of archive as well that way.

gabio

Post by gabio »

crsrma wrote:Good suggestion, I've been using 7-zip to archive .blend files for some time & it's been nothing but a pleasant experience.

official site: www.7-zip.org

Another option would be to start seeding torrents for your test builds, would inadvertently be creating a sort of archive as well that way.
I'm trying to keep it the more standard possibe for everyone to get it, but in the end, could just ask pp to get the software too. Yes though about bittorent., really dunno if the download o-metter for this file would be good enough.

joeri

Post by joeri »

This might sound as a rant but it's not.

Does the grey out mean I can't alter the values?
Why is it better to not be able to alter the values if not used?
Ie. Why does the program force me to use a certain workflow?

For example:
I know I'm going to use a picture for a backbuffer. I just don't need it in the next F12. What I use to do is type in the name. And at a certain point turn it on. Now, as you know, I first have to turn it on (has nothing todo with what I want to do: enter a name), then enter the name, then turn it off again.
How is this better/faster workflow?

And why is it not consistend?
Backbuffer is grey, osa is not.
All element tab buttons work even when sequence render is selected.
Is this just not ready or an arbirtairy selection?
Then again; I can always paste in the value.

The Error has a nice extra icon. But what does error mean? I did something wrong, or did the software do something wrong?
I get an Error, not allowed when using current scene as set... If it's not allowed then it's not very friendly to call it an error, how about calling it Mistake?

Drag the Element tab a bit and Render tab flies off, leaving Post Process to be dropped on.
Drag the Post Process tab (after you clicked on it once) and Elements flies off to.

Timeline.
With S & E key I can set an endpoint before the startpoint, colors indicate it will render everyting except the given time period.
I'd like to move the markers with LMB. Why can I make them orange with RMB (tooltip?).

Fun!

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

joeri wrote:Does the grey out mean I can't alter the values?
Yes, though you found the copying and pasting, this should be fixed.
Why is it better to not be able to alter the values if not used?
There's plenty of literature out there that I'm sure you can find explaining the purpose of greying out ui items. A large part is to make things more predictable and to better convey a sense of relationship between things where it may not be immediately apparent. It also helps to remove ambiguity, especially in menu items like that Camera example - eg. "I clicked on it, but I don't notice anything. Did it work?"

Yes this helps new users (heaven forbid!). Currently in Blender, this is either not done, or done in a neurotic way by having buttons pop in and out of existence based on various conditions, modes, etc.
I know I'm going to use a picture for a backbuffer.
Yes, this is a good example of somewhere where it probably shouldn't be used. Keep in mind this is brand new, and it will take a bit of testing and experimentation to figure out when and where is best to use it. As well as the reason you mention, since most of those items in the 'Elements' panel are grouped well already, it may not be so necessary there.
The Error has a nice extra icon. But what does error mean? I did something wrong, or did the software do something wrong?
Ask whoever originally implemented it, I just added the icon for faster recognition ;) Perhaps something like 'warning' could be a better choice. The problem is that 'error' notification is used in a lot of different situations.
With S & E key I can set an endpoint before the startpoint, colors indicate it will render everyting except the given time period.
Good find, should be easy to fix.
I'd like to move the markers with LMB. Why can I make them orange with RMB (tooltip?).
Jiri implemented this for deleting them and we talked about moving them before. It would be nice, it just hasn't been coded yet. I don't know how difficult it would be, it's on the list of things to investigate.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Would it be possible to have an alignment indicator in the corner of the perspective view ?

Often when I want to constraint an edit to a certain axis, I don't know how my axis are. I know there is the grid centre, but often, you just can't see it.

fobsta

Post by fobsta »

Would it be possible to have an alignment indicator in the corner of the perspective view ?
It's easy to get lost in a scene sometimes.

Displaying the world axis in the corner of a viewport should make Blender users lives easier.

It would be even better if the 'alignment indicator' had labelled axis for the colour blind amongst us.

cheers

gabio

Post by gabio »

Yes I though about that, and what even better could be a widget like axe so you can move view with widget. I tryied to code it. but got lost in opengl drawing.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow »

Gabio,

since you are having problems with your webspace, Email me and I'll give you my ftp details -- this way you will be able to host all your files without anymore bandwith problems.

Email: daveparsons@graffiti.net

joeri

Post by joeri »

@broken: cool, thanks.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

I have two more things to add:

http://heliosmulti.com/files/bevel_edge ... vectxt.pdf

http://heliosmulti.com/images/vertex_normals_mode.png

Note in the second doc, I changed a bit the menu. I think we should remove the mode text display. If there's no text on the viewport shading, I don't see why the mode needs it, it's just wasting space right now.

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin »

Pierre-Luc_Auclair wrote:If there's no text on the viewport shading, I don't see why the mode needs it, it's just wasting space right now.
Well, the edit/object mode is very general and important, its something the user should always know. It causes a lot more changes (buttons appearing, etc) than the drawing mode - so it's important to have a larger button containing text showing clearly the current mode.

But anyways, I like your ideas on beveling and normal editing :) very clear, well thought out, and well proposed. Both ideas sound great to me.