Tuhopuu3 / Windows (2005/04/23)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gabio

Tuhopuu3 / Windows (2005/04/23)

Post by gabio » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:15 pm

Time to test. btw the new edit buttons is sweet ;) but we need to get used to it first.

-done with MSVC 7 and scons.
-------------------
Relevant feature:
-Merge of Blender/cvs 2005/04/17
-bugfixes
-More restrained usage of button disabling
-New edit buttons v.1

Commit:
-broken
Log:
* Fix for the timeline, better shading if end frame is before
start frame

-hos
Log:
Copied BPyMenu_Init() from bf-blender to tuhopuu3.

I think this function was turned to mush by continual merging.

bjornmose: please check to see that this compiles with msvc
(you had modified this function in the past to get it to work
with debug build)

Log Message:
Merge of Blender/cvs 2005/04/17

-hos
Log:
due to name changes for minnaert/ward stuff, rms was refined twice
in material stuff (Thanks SpookyElectric for report)

-themyers
Log:
Fixed paste with syntax enabled

Log:
Fix bug in syntax highlighting that did not write the format string to the .B.blend file correctly

-joeedh
Log:
Fix for hemesh and transform. removed and re-downloaded all transform files, and copied the relevant functions from backups. checked diff, and theres no unwanted conflicts :)

-broken
Log:
* Small tweak to the outliner line darkness
(half-testing commit)

Log:
Update write_texts for format string, it was causing a crash

Log:
* More restrained usage of button disabling

Previously was a bit overdone. Coming closer to some solid
guidelines for when and where it should be used; with this commit,
it's mainly on things that would otherwise disappear - i.e.
action buttons that *can't* be used.

* New edit buttons v.1

A huge thankyou to William, who did a lot of good groundwork that
I've tweaked and built upon. The aim for this one is more
'workflow oriented' i.e. grouping similar controls, and also
separating out less frequently used stuff so it can be folded away.

Part of it has been moving some of the 'editing tools' that needed
ui controls too, but never really belonged there, having to resort
to hackish stuff like the 'click to choose a 3d View window' mouse
pointer thingy. Now these have all been added to the 3D View
header menus, one or two from memory also to the W specials menu,
and I've made a new 'Repeat and Revolve' popup menu (Mesh Edit
Mode hotkey: Ctrl Shift R) that contains, Spin, Spin Duplicate,
Screw and Extrude Repeat, with the relevant number fields
integrated with the command.

-blendix
Log:
View Selected for faceselect mode, and a bugfix for View Selected in the uv
editor, as in bf-blender.
---------------------------
A new build is available
Last edited by gabio on Mon May 02, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleen

Post by bleen » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:35 am

a slow drawing in opengl while panels "transform properties", "view properties" (, "background image"?) are open!

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:11 pm

I must say that the new edit-buttons layout looks very nice and clean. Is there any chance of the new Buttons layout making it to the next official bf-release?
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

bertram

Post by bertram » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:56 pm

Mirror:
Blender Bin

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:25 pm

Hmmm, many edit commands have been moved to menus, and been removed from the buttons panel. Can anyone tell me how this *improves* workflow??? I hope this isn't staying. Before it took one click of the SPIN button, with the correct settings to do a spin, now its move mouse to Menu, open menu, open submenu, click and THEN set the parameters. This seems like a step backward concerning software ergonomics, its better to have them as buttons, seems better for new users.
Suggestions:
1. Leave them in edit buttons as well.
2. Rename the Repeat & Revolve submenu to something more descriptive. I believe the word SPIN is more important here than the word repeat. How about "Spin, Screw & Extrude"?

Other than that, the edit buttons do look better and more organized. But a new "Spin, Screw & Extrude" panel wouldn't hurt...

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:08 am

TorQ

Post by TorQ » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:03 am

I have just downloaded Tuhopuu for linux for the first time today. I created a folder in my Home directory and untarred the files there. When I try to run it from the console I get the following error:

./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or director

I'm pretty sure that libpng.so.3 is installed on my machine. I am able to run the official Blender from apt-get. Any words of help would be appreciated.

crsrma

Post by crsrma » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:34 am

TorQ: I suggest finding out where it is on your system & also where blender is looking for it. Then use the ln -s command to create a symbolic link between where blender is looking & the actual file.

It's ultimately easier than setting up paths in blender as something else may have similar issues. If you're not familiar with the command, I suggest trying it out on something of no value (eg: a "sandbox" directory in your /home) first & not on any important system files.

kidb

Post by kidb » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:23 pm

TorQ wrote: ./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
What says:
ldd /path/to/blender ?

MikeMLP

Post by MikeMLP » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:13 pm

I agree with Zsolt.
Perhaps this is just temporary? I think a better idea would be to add buttons panes as the number of edit mode tools increase over time. Personally, I think that as few things as possible should be limited to linear, menu-driven commands. The overall feel of the program is certainly more stable when you can see all of your options/variables at one time, and tweak them, perhaps interactively, simultaneously. By forcing the user to only see the options for a certain command upon invoking the command, and being forced to choose one of them, it also makes it more difficult to remember what particular choice did what. I run into this all the time with boolean functions, even though I don't use them very often. I can never remember which mesh to select first, which function to use, etc. so I usually just do trial and error until I get the result I'm looking for. It certainly would make it easier to remember if I had a pane with all of the boolean settings in it, so that I could see what settings I just used, for example. In addition, putting a lot of functions into individual panes will allow space to add additional properties and settings that can enhance the tool. Perhaps both methods should be developed concurrently, with the menu-driven approach being useful if you already know exactly what you are doing, and also saving screen real estate, while the pane approach will help beginners, and give you an overview of every possible thing you can do with a particular function.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 pm

I agree with all the above comments about moving mesh edit functions to the menu.....from the standpoint of my workflow it just doesn't feel right to me.

A far better solution would be to have a vertical header on the left hand side of the 3d window with icons for screw, spin etc.....most other apps work this way and having visual clues like this would be a lot more newbie friendly than digging through menus.

DYeater

Post by DYeater » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:38 pm

I agree that putting everything in menus is not a good choice ... but I sure don't want Blender to turn into Truspace either. Waaaay too many little cutsie icons. I suppose a few important icons ... maybe in a floating toolbar that could be disabled (if menu was more desireable to a user) would be ok. But I really thing that workflow will suffer if Blender goes crazy on the icon approach.

Delta

Post by Delta » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:55 pm

hrm... how about putting the mesh tools in a floating panel...?

Regards,
~Delta

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:29 am

DYeater wrote:I agree that putting everything in menus is not a good choice ... but I sure don't want Blender to turn into Truspace either. Waaaay too many little cutsie icons. I suppose a few important icons ... maybe in a floating toolbar that could be disabled (if menu was more desireable to a user) would be ok. But I really thing that workflow will suffer if Blender goes crazy on the icon approach.
Did you ever use 1.8? It had a lot more icons and I can guarantee you that workflow was much faster.

phase

Post by phase » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:44 pm

M@dcow wrote:Did you ever use 1.8? It had a lot more icons and I can guarantee you that workflow was much faster.
Much faster indeed. I absolutely agree with this statement.