bf-blender / Windows (2005/04/28) Intrr´s DoF :) - UPDATE -

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

macouno

Post by macouno »

ysvry wrote:no it isnt blurr can be easilly achieved in postwork :P
Ehm then please if it is so easy to do DOF in post write us a tutorial cause I'd like to know and I'm absolutely sure there's a lot of people who feel the same way.

But I do still feel that a 3d package needs some kind of DOF internally.

gnomis

Question from an innocent

Post by gnomis »

Would it be possible to have the Zmin and Focus settings given some feedback similar to the outline and clip markers in a spotlight?If marked from the camera viewpoint I think this would make the setup of this tool more intuative.

bullx

Post by bullx »

i agree with gnomis

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

macouno wrote:
ysvry wrote:no it isnt blurr can be easilly achieved in postwork :P
Ehm then please if it is so easy to do DOF in post write us a tutorial cause I'd like to know and I'm absolutely sure there's a lot of people who feel the same way.

But I do still feel that a 3d package needs some kind of DOF internally.
Check out this method that Gabio posted here with a sample render:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=720

It works for me now.

phrangkk

Re: Question from an innocent

Post by phrangkk »

gnomis wrote:Would it be possible to have the Zmin and Focus settings given some feedback similar to the outline and clip markers in a spotlight?If marked from the camera viewpoint I think this would make the setup of this tool more intuative.
It would also be great to have these values be keyframable.
I'm sure it's on the way, but it's easy to get impatient with such cool new toys to play with!

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

ton:

To please the stats-junkies: the "tech stat" drawing now displays all
values that change during transform().

For the rest drawing sticks to actual selection, making the view quite
less cluttered. Hope this gets approval. icon_smile.gif

ton:

Added menu in header for orientation of manipulator widgets.
Also slightly tweaked threshold for drawing text in menu buttons. The text
was clipped just too quick.
Cool :)
Last edited by Bellorum on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

ZanQdo

Re: bf-blender / Windows (2005/04/28) Intrr´s DoF :) - UPDAT

Post by ZanQdo »

blendix:

Make view translation and zooming 'smooth' in the uv editor. Power-of-two
zoom levels can be found in the View > View Navigation menu. Also Ctrl+MMB
zooming was added.
cool :D

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

Just tried the latest release.

1. Why has the executable gotten so big ? It just passed from 4.99 to 7.75mo..

2. I really think the distances used in DOF should be "real" ones. Let's say you set your focus to 4.56: the focus of your image will be at 4.56 units from the camera.

gabio

Post by gabio »

1. It's a cygwin build... Mean a linux build wraped with a linux emulator for windows
2. I know it a bit ugly, can we call it WIP then?

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair »

gabio wrote:1. It's a cygwin build... Mean a linux build wraped with a linux emulator for windows
Okey dokey !
Quite right, it was more of a suggestion than anything else.

In fact it gives me more ideas. What if the camera had some kind of "target mode", you could move the camera and target independently (which there doesn't seem to be). Of course it could be used just to animate the camera, but it could be used as the DOF focus point (with a checkbox in the DOF settings).

ZanQdo

Re: bf-blender / Windows (2005/04/28) Intrr´s DoF :) - UPDAT

Post by ZanQdo »

ton:

To please the stats-junkies: the "tech stat" drawing now displays all
values that change during transform().

For the rest drawing sticks to actual selection, making the view quite
less cluttered. Hope this gets approval. :)
Very clever, Im using it right now :D

I love the normal mode for the widgets, especialy moving or scaling whit Shift + drag the handle, so fast!

Dani

Post by Dani »

gabio, I'm not sure I'm 100% right, but the cygwin build is not dependant of the cygwin1.dll emulation layer...

well, thats not the problem.

Thks for the built ZanQdo, I don't have acces to cvs from the university, so I depend on other people's builds to test.

Dani

DYeater

Post by DYeater »

Pierre-Luc_Auclair wrote:
gabio wrote:1. It's a cygwin build... Mean a linux build wraped with a linux emulator for windows
Okey dokey !
Quite right, it was more of a suggestion than anything else.

In fact it gives me more ideas. What if the camera had some kind of "target mode", you could move the camera and target independently (which there doesn't seem to be). Of course it could be used just to animate the camera, but it could be used as the DOF focus point (with a checkbox in the DOF settings).
I routinely use an empty that I actually name "CameraTarget". Might be a nice feature, but it is so easy to do it with an empty. I just put a "Track To" constraint on the camera targeting the ... well ... the camera target.

Desoto

Post by Desoto »

The reason the Cygwin binary is bigger is that the strip command is not used on the the Blender binary under Cygwin. At least I'm fairly confident thats the reason.

For those of you who have posted with complaints/suggestions its good to keep the feedback coming. A lot of the things you're discussing have been discussed amongst the developers even before the features are committed. Be sure to have patience with the process. Many of them read your comments regularly to be sure they're not missing anything important.

A little bit of info about zblur.. It won't work well for animations at all because zblur is simply an 'educated guess' of what DOF would look like if it were actually calculated. Since it is an approximation of DOF it has many limitations which many of you may have discovered independently of Ton's unenthusiastic remarks on the mailing list. The future of the tool as a part of Blender is unclear at this point. Whether or not it will be a part of the release remains to be seen. At least that is the impression I get from discussions with the developers. It really seems like it will come down to whether or not artist input indicates its even worth using. In my tests, this feature is not useful enough to bother with and can be replicated quite well with some simple masking and blurring in GIMP or PS. That's just my experience but your mileage may vary.

In regards to the widgets, several positive changes have come from user input so keep up your testing. As always its not as simple as just coding a feature and sticking it in, and the developers regret to inform the users: Not everybody will be 100% satisfied with the widgets in the release. Why do I say this? When adding functionality so central to workflow that influences the way everyone interacts with the software, you cannot account for ever user's individual style or preferences. The widgets aren't perfect for every user, and probably never will be, but they will get better as time goes by.

Keep that in mind if you find yourself becoming impatient with the new features and try to give yourself time to adjust before making snap judgements and posting passionate remarks. Many many days and weeks of work have gone into the coming release with the singular goal of providing the largest number of Blender users across the widest range of skill levels with the best Blending experience possible. After you've thoroughly run it through its paces and given yourself time to learn the new features and acclimate, *then* try to formulate some constructive criticism if you still feel like there's room for improvement. If you try your best to follow those steps, the developers will continue to try their best to continually respond to question, examine bug reports, reply to emails, and code their little hearts out.

2.37 is just around the corner folks so keep the testing going and feedback rolling in, but do your best to be sure that your message is of a high-enough quality to be useful to everyone on the recieving end. Thanks!

Regards,
--Chris