bf-blender / Windows & Linux (2005/05/11)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri May 13, 2005 2:14 pm

DYeater wrote:Imagine my ... , you'll notice that they do not match.
does your fps button in the Render window-> format tab state 30 fps ?

llunasol

Post by llunasol » Fri May 13, 2005 4:10 pm

HiNMity wrote:And is the fullscreen button going to be available in 2.37?
That's a point I can't understand. Is there anything that has been positively solved taken out the fullscreen button? It was related with some issues on OpenGL button redrawing not working properly?... because I don't have any ATI card (on the two machines I test Blender) and
I got e-x-a-c-t-l-y the same troubles with the buttons redraw :roll: :?

DYeater

Post by DYeater » Fri May 13, 2005 11:22 pm

joeri wrote:
DYeater wrote:Imagine my ... , you'll notice that they do not match.
does your fps button in the Render window-> format tab state 30 fps ?
Yes it does. I am in the U.S. and only do video stuff so NTSC 30 fps is all I currently use. By the way, I know Blender is developed in Europe, but I'm just curious why there is a PAL 16X9 option, as well as a PAL standard option ... yet there is no NTSC 16X9 option. Just something that came to my attention.

As to the new time line and audio time line, I am currently using two of the new time lines on top of each other. The bottom set to seconds, and the header removed. The top is set to frames. The seconds and frames match perfectly. No, the scales are different between the audio time line and the new time line. I would really be surprised if they didn't get rid of the audio time line window, since the functionality of the new time line is so much more improved.

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Fri May 13, 2005 11:36 pm

Two observations:
- The extrude popup is bypassed sometimes. Now, I've gotton used to clicking with the mouse once after pressing E to okay the extrusion, and the dragging with the mouse. But now if the menu is bypassed, this automatic mouseclick exits the transformation after extrusion. Very confusing! I had to use undo several times and redo the extrusion, without that click, so that I can move the extruded vertex/edge/face along it's normal. And there's no information that there will be no popup window!
- Why can't we change layers during edit mode?? Is there any *ONE* single reason for this change? During modelling, you might want to turn on another layer to see some other object, for reference for example, or turn one layer off so as not to distract your view.

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo » Fri May 13, 2005 11:46 pm

zsolt, the no-dialog extrude occurs if you e.g. only have one face selected.

I think it's a great feature, but perhaps one that should have an option to toggle off.

Mal

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Fri May 13, 2005 11:47 pm

Zsolt wrote: - Why can't we change layers during edit mode?? Is there any *ONE* single reason for this change?
Yup :) Too many icons in edit-mode. But I do think it's a bit drastic to remove it completely.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

scooterl

Post by scooterl » Sat May 14, 2005 4:28 am

Should motion blur work with softbodies in animations? Neither the softbody effect, nor the motion blur, appears to render.

Animation works fine without motion blur, and still renders work fine with motion blur. Just can't seem to get motion blur on softbodies to work in animation tests.

Good to see motion blur works with world-textures.

Great stuff, thanks for everything...

Howitzer

Post by Howitzer » Sat May 14, 2005 9:10 am

A very excellent build.

My only problem with it is the lack of a fullscreen button... there is a key combination for that right?

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sat May 14, 2005 9:41 am

Howitzer wrote:A very excellent build.

My only problem with it is the lack of a fullscreen button... there is a key combination for that right?
Nope. It's completely gone.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

kxs

Post by kxs » Sat May 14, 2005 10:15 am

Is there any way now to parent ZBlur to Empty or see the focus on camera`a ShowLimits?
Don`t you think that without these features Blender`s Zblur is quite useless? I think that most people would use the seq plugin zblur then.

zaphire

Post by zaphire » Sat May 14, 2005 11:33 am

I'll complain again:

When loading a .blend file from a previous version, the ortho cameras are not at the same distance. i.e. they are zoomed in further than they were in previous versions of blender

I realize that this is likely due to the new ortho code. But it would seem to be a priority to support backwards compatibility with previous blend files.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sat May 14, 2005 12:23 pm

zaphire wrote:I'll complain again:

When loading a .blend file from a previous version, the ortho cameras are not at the same distance. i.e. they are zoomed in further than they were in previous versions of blender

I realize that this is likely due to the new ortho code. But it would seem to be a priority to support backwards compatibility with previous blend files.
Well, you can just move the cameras, can't you? As far as backwards compatibility goes, I get the feeling that it's starting to be a problem. The new animation refactor will likely not be backwards compatible, if I'm hearing things right.

camel

Post by camel » Sat May 14, 2005 10:47 pm

zaphire wrote: ....

As indicated by the Render Changes in the change log here: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Render_Changes.515.0.html
Because of this new feature, older (ortho rendering) Blender files might need to be tweaked to match desired results. A full backwards compatible conversion could not be implemented.

zaphire

Post by zaphire » Sat May 14, 2005 11:06 pm

Thank you camel. Its too bad a solution couldn't be found, but it isn't such a huge problem.

Bellorum:
You have to set the scale values. The problem is I have over 64 blend files that may need updating. (working on a game with prerendered graphics for the igf) But I love Blender so much and it has saved me so much time and money, that I can't really complain. If it turns out to be a huge issue I can just keep using 2.36 for those files.

aside:
Thank you to the Blender team for all your great work! Blender is an amazing program that just keeps getting better. =]

DYeater

Post by DYeater » Sat May 14, 2005 11:21 pm

Backward compatibility problems are going to happen. But with the Python language, enterprising coders can create bridge applications, if they desire, to enable the latest Blender releases to read, and transform, older legacy blends.

I am all for dropping backward compatibility if it means a leaner, more efficient, feature rich Blender.