bf-Blender / Windows-Linux (2005/08/02)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

NateTG

Post by NateTG » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:26 am

Re: Elbarto

The new knife tool can also no longer be used to quickly make edgeloops that are consistent with current geometry. (If this is unclear, I can give an example). For me, this is a MAJOR disadvantage. I don't know how this could be resolved... I am assuming that the new knife tool works similar to the new edge-based subdivide. Maybe an "knife (No triangles)" tool?

\n

poutsa

Post by poutsa » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:05 am

Thanks for this Build Gabio!!!

So now there is free Place in the FX Panel for Fluid Simulation,Ocean Simulator,Explode Fx!
Sorry Fluids has a seperate Panel like Particles!!!
see here Workflow:
http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Ble ... dAnimation

Wave and Build fx´s moved to Modifiers!!
Is the Explode Fx when( its Real one Day) placed into Modifiers or in the Fx Panel???

"DubliVerts for Metaballs" is this removed for ever or comes back?

Vassilios Cagiaoglou Boucer
Last edited by poutsa on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:23 am

ElBarto wrote: And i got a modelling problem with the reworked Knife tool. Normally i modell this way:
Plane> Subdivide> Knife Middpoints> Scale> Extrude
But this is impossible now.
I absolutely agree, and I've complained about it at least one time before, and have not gotten an answer. I'm sure the new algorithm is useful for something (otherwise it wouldn't have been coded) but it hurts edgeloop flow and creates far too many triangles. an 'old style-knife mode would be most beneficial.
I also don't understand why edgeslide should default to precision-mode. It's annoying as hell. :?
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Z-Pixel

Post by Z-Pixel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:54 pm

While working on my animation project, I found something strange, too:

When I tried to apply an armature to my mesh (with option create from closest bone), blender crashed somehow. I tried this with a simple cube and found out that there's apparently trouble when using this option in connection with the subsurf modifier. Without subsurf, everything's working fine. When applying subsurf after creating the vertexgroups from closest bone, everything's fine too. Only when I applied the armature to a mesh with subsurf, blender crashed.

Maybe the differences between the subsurf-created vertices and the original vertices are ignored when the vertices are assigned to the bones? (don't really know much about the code)

LeeQid

Post by LeeQid » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:16 pm

Can anybody please tell me what happened to shift+r in this version?

tommy

Post by tommy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Bellorum wrote:
ElBarto wrote: And i got a modelling problem with the reworked Knife tool. Normally i modell this way:
I absolutely agree, and I've complained about it at least one time before, and have not gotten an answer. I'm sure the new algorithm is useful for something (otherwise it wouldn't have been coded) but it hurts edgeloop flow and creates far too many triangles. an 'old style-knife mode would be most beneficial.
I also don't understand why edgeslide should default to precision-mode. It's annoying as hell. :?
Yep, I have to say i second (or third?) that. The current code is certainly useful, but the old-style edge-cutting mechanism can sometimes create much better mesh-flow. Perhaps both methods should be available under different names, such as "simple" edge-cut and "advanced" edge-cut or something similar.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 pm

in subsurf modifier, incremental requires edges, but i can move mouse out of pupbox and not make edges, and incremental will still be checked.

crsrma

Post by crsrma » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:54 am

This may sound evil, but would it be possible to use numerical input while actively using the manipulator? Like, maybe it could override mouse input once numbers are typed & mimic the standard GRS stuff temporarily.

I find myself trying to do so for some reason, usually when ctrl/shift constraints aren't quite precise enough, sometimes just out of habit. It just seems a bit silly to go around changing grid spacing because of some nurnies, wrinkles, etc.

BTW, it's a bit difficult to escape out of the loopcut tool right now, with the RMB atleast; before you start a cut & still have the initial purple highlight.

Thanks again for the build & all the new featureseses.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:55 am

Doh! Accidentally hit reply :)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:45 am

Bellorum wrote:
I absolutely agree, and I've complained about it at least one time before. It hurts edgeloop flow and creates far too many triangles. an 'old style-knife mode would be most beneficial.
Edit: I replied before even trying the new build before :oops: Edgeslide works perfectly new. And the new subdivide stuff is great. Only problem I have is the knife-results..

Matthe

Post by Matthe » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:51 pm

to all coders: nice work ;) I really appreciate your hard work

but I've to agree with ElBarto, tommy and Bellorum, the new knife tool (Midpoints) is a little bit strange compared to the old method

another issue for me is that "optimal"-wireframe does not work in edit mode, would be great to get working in edit mode

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:54 pm

yep, if i use optimal, and modify the mesh, i get a segfault.
cube > optimal > Extrude a face > segfault.

and yep, having a subsurf compliant subdivide would be cool :)
(as an option, toggle, modifier key, anything :) )

henti

Post by henti » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:01 pm

When i try to select linked bones with L (in armature edit mode), blender almost always crashes.

kxs

Post by kxs » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:09 am

I can`t run new linux build. I get this message:

Code: Select all

./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:22 am

you need to install libpng 3