BF-Blender OSX *UPDATED* 2005-8-23

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Zarf

BF-Blender OSX *UPDATED* 2005-8-23

Post by Zarf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:03 am

Since there seems to be a need for more up to date OSX builds I thought I would do my best to fill that gap. The url below should be updated daily, but it might be sporadic at first until I can find a way to streamline and automate the whole process to occur while I'm sleeping :D

www.umsl.edu/~gcbq44/blender.zip

If anyone has any space to mirror this, please do.

*UPDATED*
another slew of fun new things. Check it out

http://www.umsl.edu/~gcbq44/blender_20050823.zip

Cheers
Xarf
Last edited by Zarf on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

kidb

Re: BF-Blender OSX 10.3 8-4-05

Post by kidb » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:19 am

Zarf wrote: If anyone has any space to mirror this, please do.
Done.
http://blendertestbuilds.kidb.de/index. ... cOSX/Zarf/

could you include the date in the filename, i.e. blender_20050804.zip or similar?
Zarf or Xarf ?

Zarf

Post by Zarf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:41 am

kidb wrote:
Zarf wrote: If anyone has any space to mirror this, please do.
Done.
http://blendertestbuilds.kidb.de/index. ... cOSX/Zarf/

could you include the date in the filename, i.e. blender_20050804.zip or similar?
I will start doing this with the next build I upload (probably around 12am CST) so the next one will be blender_20050805.zip.

kidb wrote: Zarf or Xarf ?
Either or :)

Thanks for the mirror!

Cheers,
Xarf

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:36 pm

Downloading now. Thanks so much for this.

kidb

Post by kidb » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:18 pm

Zarf wrote: Thanks for the mirror!
Cheers,
Xarf
If you want a login mailto kidb at kidb dot de

Zarf

Post by Zarf » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:26 am

DELETED See first post in thread for latest build.

osxrules

Post by osxrules » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:43 pm

Are these builds suitable for everyday use yet? I really want to get using the animation tools but I don't want to end up with bad files.

JoOngle

Post by JoOngle » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:01 pm

osxrules wrote:Are these builds suitable for everyday use yet? I really want to get using the animation tools but I don't want to end up with bad files.
I bet the Orange team are using them to create the movie (don't know, why not ask them? Basse? Ton? Anyone?)

But you can't be 100 % sure with CVS tests, some bugs will sneak in even though others
will be fixed and some of these bugs are fatal enough to warp your previous work if
you resave and didn't make a backup. (has happened to me, but I did make a backup! :) )

I use it on a daily basis to do animation experiments (I guess you know that already)
and the latest CVS seem to work fine every day, except from backwards compatibility.

aoe2bug

YAY!

Post by aoe2bug » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:41 pm

thank you so much Zarf! :D

(kidb too) :)

-Dan

basse

Post by basse » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:25 pm

about the broken blends..

I only use cvs version of blender, and during all this time I haven't lost any work. couple of times I've ran into some problems, but it all was solvable (bugfixes).

some new features in cvs can break backwards compatibility, so you can't load those files in old / official blender. also, sometimes you can see new buttons and features appear, and then disappear.. but you know.. live on the edge, and report bugs found. :)

and this is the official bf-blender cvs I'm talking about.
I don't know about those personal hacks, or patched versions.

.b

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:36 pm

Hey Zarf, I really appreciate these builds. I've been trying to compile my own on OS X 10.3.8, but I'm having fits. The official link for OS X in the "compiling your own" thread is broken. Would you care to share what method you're using to compile (X-code, Scons, make?), and maybe some setup info?

lukep

Post by lukep » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:02 am

harkyman wrote:Hey Zarf, I really appreciate these builds. I've been trying to compile my own on OS X 10.3.8, but I'm having fits. The official link for OS X in the "compiling your own" thread is broken. Would you care to share what method you're using to compile (X-code, Scons, make?), and maybe some setup info?
you need to CVS both blender and the lib/darwin-6.1-powerpc modules.
then make a symbolic link between darwin-6.1-powerpc and a dir named darwin-XYZ-powerpc where XYZ is the kernel rev number found by throwing this command in terminal prompt :

uname -r

then for Os X 10.3 :

- scons should work straight of the box once installed (scons in blender dir) - build is in ($blenderdir)
- xcode project should work too but is not kept in sync by me as often lately (project is in ($blenderdir/make/xc_blender) - no game engine - build is in ($blenderdir/make/xc_blender/build)
- makefiles (type make in blender dir) - build is in ($blenderdir/obj/darwin-XYZ-powerpc/bin)

For makefiles, you need to create a file named user-def.mk in ($blenderdir) to override some defaults which are dedicated to 10.2

my own config file :

#replace below with your own location
MYLIBDIR = /Users/luke/dev/bf_ref_tree/lib/darwin-6.1-powerpc
export PY_FRAMEWORK = 1
export NAN_QUIET = 1

export NAN_JPEG ?= $(MYLIBDIR)/jpeg
export NAN_PNG ?= $(MYLIBDIR)/png
export NAN_FREETYPE ?= $(MYLIBDIR)/freetype

#is this one still really needed
export NAN_NEW_TRANSFORM=true

For cvs the commandline tools are ok, but you may prefer to use something like CVS_librarian which is a GUI tool.

For the begginner, XCode is nice if you want to twinkle a bit the code. if you want only to compile, i recommend scons which is the least likely to fail.

I do releases with makefiles

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:57 pm

lukep wrote:#is this one still really needed
export NAN_NEW_TRANSFORM=true
This is not needed anymore.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Zarf

Post by Zarf » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 am

harkyman wrote:Hey Zarf, I really appreciate these builds. I've been trying to compile my own on OS X 10.3.8, but I'm having fits. The official link for OS X in the "compiling your own" thread is broken. Would you care to share what method you're using to compile (X-code, Scons, make?), and maybe some setup info?
I use the makefiles. Almost all methods of building on my box have fits when it comes to getting bFTGL and other freetype libs built, so I just turned internationalization and freetype support OFF. I also turn of the game engine when compiling. For my makefile I have the following things added under the section for 'darwin'.

export NAN_NO_KETSJI = true

export NAN_SDL ?= /Users/me/blenderdev/lib/darwin-6.1-powerpc/sdl
(I don't know why I used an absolute path here... I think the build system was getting confused and I was trying to remove any ambiguity. But just for correctness sake this is not really 'proper'....)

export NAN_PARANOID ?= false
(I was having some problems with ranlib, this seemed to fix it...)

export INTERNATIONAL ?= false;
export WITH_FREETYPE2 ?= false;

I'm no expert, so this may or may not work for you.

(P.S., check out the latest build on my ftp space.... blender_20050819.zip... its got yummy rigging updates!)

Cheers,
Xarf

osxrules

Post by osxrules » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Zarf wrote:I use the makefiles. Almost all methods of building on my box have fits when it comes to getting bFTGL and other freetype libs built, so I just turned internationalization and freetype support OFF. I also turn of the game engine when compiling.
Can't you just link with the lib binaries in CVS? That's what the XCode project does.
Zarf wrote:(I was having some problems with ranlib, this seemed to fix it...)
The Xcode project gets ranlib errors too. I fixed it by just running ranlib on the libraries bundled in CVS. It's to do with the libs being older than the build or something.

The main problem with the XCode build is it doesn't seem to like the bundled OpenAL library and fails on linking. You can fix it by just changing the path to the OpenAL distributed with the system and that works.