bf-Blender / Windows (2005/08/28) Bullet + Particle patch

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kidb
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:31 pm
Contact:

Post by kidb »

nam wrote:is the link not working? hmm, i'll try again...or is there another link i can use? unless someone can email it to me...that'd be great too...thanks guys zn182@yahoo.com
try now.

nam
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:20 pm

Post by nam »

thx a bunch...

nemyax
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:34 pm

Post by nemyax »

Currently, when bones are driven by IK, they change their roll. This should not happen.

blendix
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 pm

Post by blendix »

nemyax wrote:Currently, when bones are driven by IK, they change their roll. This should not happen.
Please explain more, -- I don't get the problem. Having the bone roll can help reach the target. If you want to disable rolling you can do this with "Lock Y Rot". Or is it that the behavior changed from how it was before, doing unexpected rolling for no good reason? I can't seem to reproduce that.

nemyax
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:34 pm

Post by nemyax »

blendix,
I'll try to explain using examples. In the following blend file, the position of the IK goal is animated. By frame 51, Bone and Bone.001 have got twisted relative to one another. If a mesh were bound to those bones instead of the crude boxes, it would end up looking screwed up. Imagine a knee that shifts to the side when you lift your foot sideways.
http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/215971/u ... flaw.blend
The following is a Maya screenshot with an identical setup. The unnecessary extra twist doesn't occur. The boxes stay in the same "plane".
http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/215971/u ... orrect.JPG
This is not Maya fanboyism on my part. Any other 3d animation software is capable of IK chain twist control, and so should Blender. Without easy twist/swivel angle/solver plane control, IK is a joke.
I'm sorry if I've given too little detail or haven't put it clearly. I'll elaborate more if you like.

blendix
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 pm

Post by blendix »

nemyax wrote:blendix,
I'll try to explain using examples. In the following blend file, the position of the IK goal is animated. By frame 51, Bone and Bone.001 have got twisted relative to one another. If a mesh were bound to those bones instead of the crude boxes, it would end up looking screwed up. Imagine a knee that shifts to the side when you lift your foot sideways.
If you enabled "Lock X Rot" or "Lock Z Rot", you can prevent the knee from bending sideways.
nemyax wrote:http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/215971/u ... flaw.blend
The following is a Maya screenshot with an identical setup. The unnecessary extra twist doesn't occur. The boxes stay in the same "plane".
http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/215971/u ... orrect.JPG
This is not Maya fanboyism on my part. Any other 3d animation software is capable of IK chain twist control, and so should Blender. Without easy twist/swivel angle/solver plane control, IK is a joke.
I'm sorry if I've given too little detail or haven't put it clearly. I'll elaborate more if you like.
You are talking about the rotating plane solver in Maya. As I understand it's basically a 2d solver with manual twist control. You can emulate this in blender by setting all but the root to have only 1 DoF, and then control the rotation of the root bone. Example file:
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/IK_twist.blend

nemyax
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:34 pm

Post by nemyax »

Thanks for clarification. That's very handy.

nam
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:20 pm

Post by nam »

i was trying out the ik solver, and it seems that it's not updating properly. like i made an ik chain, and lets say i move it around, the ik solver, and then i would not want to accept the changes i made, so i left click it, and the ik solver goes back to the original spot, but the ik chain, stays changed, until u move the ik thing again...

modron
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:13 am

Post by modron »

crash when i tried to move an ik solver bone when rest position was enabled.
<edit> knife cursor appears for weight paint.

lguillaume
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:25 pm

Post by lguillaume »

modron wrote: <edit> knife cursor appears for weight paint.
For the cursor, this is normal. Normally later, the cursor will be a pencil

shadowdragon
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:37 pm
Location: Lyons KS
Contact:

Post by shadowdragon »

When I try and start blender I get an error saying I'm missing gnu_gettext.dll
I've done over and hour of google searching trying to find the file with no such luck. It seems I need this file for almost every new test build that's availible. Is there somewhere I can get it?

lusque
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:53 am

Post by lusque »

>shadowdragon

gnu_gettext.dll should be in your blender installation directory, try searching there or download this:

http://blendertestbuilds.de/index.php?d ... 050724.zip

extract and copy the dll in your blender dir.

modron
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:13 am

Post by modron »

image sequences are loading backwards in the sequencer for some reason.

Post Reply