Blender 2.40 MAC OSX 10.4.3

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Marc Gebhart

Blender 2.40 MAC OSX 10.4.3

Post by Marc Gebhart » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:10 am

Is this new release going to run under Tiger? Seems odd to release a substantial update and not support the latest MAC OSX.

osxrules

Post by osxrules » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:19 pm

What are you talking about? There are loads of 2.4 test builds for Mac. I'm running 2.4 under 10.4.3 right now:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7513

Marc Gebhart

MAC OSX 10.4.3 and Blender

Post by Marc Gebhart » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:34 pm

The Blender release is for 10.3.9 with or without python. Not 10.4.3. People who are trying to run it under 10.4.3 are having problems. 10.3.9 means 10.3.9. If it were ment to run on 10.4.3 it would be designated as such.

Bischofftep

Seems Fine!

Post by Bischofftep » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:06 am

I'm running 10.4.3 with the RC1 and have been since alpha 2 without a problem.

Then again, I'm also running an ATI card.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:09 am

Marc it is in fact meant for both series. The problem is a bug of apples NVidia drivers and affects a number of programs including Maya. Apple is supposedly working to fix the bug.

LetterRip

Marc Gebhart

Thanks LetterRip

Post by Marc Gebhart » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:53 am

Thanks for the info on the Apple - nVIDIA issue. I appreciate you providing this information. That tells be to hang-on and this will be resolved.

robbackman

Post by robbackman » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:30 pm

well I also suffer from the NVIDIA card problem. however.. I have found a temporary fix. first search for the 2.4 blender-test-NVIDIA-workaround..not sure where I downloaded it but its out there.. it doesnt solve it totally. but basically anytime the contextuel menus disapear. click the finder then go back into blender. this seems to help.. another thing. the bug also effects the preview render. if you are rendering (blender internal) and actually within the blender app you wont see the preview render (still and animation) but if you are in any other app just select the render window and you can see the live render preview. not sure why this happens but it does everytime for me..

Marc Gebhart

Report bug to Apple

Post by Marc Gebhart » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Report this bug to Apple. Use the text below as a guide.

Join Apple's ADC and submitt a bug report.

I found if I resize the application window (smaller) the menus work however, you still can't render a scene.

Bug report example:

OSX 10.4.3, NVidia drivers for G5, does not support glDrawBuffer(GL_FRONT) anymore. This makes the 10.3.4 release unusable for most OpenGL applications, like the 3D suite Blender (runner-up winner of the Apple Design Award 2005). In Blender, all pulldown menus are drawn with this OpenGL command.

The above text is provided by ton.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/ind ... 9&atid=125

lukep

Post by lukep » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:12 pm

DONT REPORT THIS BUG TO APPLE ANYMORE !

this was reported already and we are in contact with apple to solve it

robbackman

Post by robbackman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:36 am

that is good news. thanx again lukep

by the way I almost dont notice the bug anymore. I assure you there are workarounds even now. it seems like the scene is not rendering but it really just doesnt showup till you select the finder then go back to blender..

it almost seems like a redraw problem. because the menus are stilll there. for instance try deleting a shape with the x key.. if you have the bug the "erase selected objects dialouge doesnt show up, but it is there just hit x then click on the empty window(where the menu normally would just apear) and it still works.. if only I had a photographic memory this bug wouldt effect me at all.

it is deffinatly still there but I am so determined to keep up my blender workflow nothing will slow me down.. MWUHAHAHAH

Terry Price

Post by Terry Price » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:46 am

Having installed Mac OSX 10.4.3 weeks ago and Blender 2.4 last night, as a new Blender user, I was disappointed to learn first hand about the hiding menu bug that plagues Nvidia video card users such as I. I discovered that I can avoid most of the symptons by (1) selecting System Preferences in the Apple icon menu, (2) clicking on Dashboard and Expose and disabling everything in that window so that only dashes show, (3) opening up Blender, (4) right clicking on the camera icon to select it, (5) hitting the F10 Key (or the Scene context button in the Buttons window below the 3D viewport) to get to the Render button, (6) clicking on the render button, then (7) clicking on the menu button of choice to open those previously hidden options. On subsequent visits to Blender so long as I leave the options on the Dashboard and Expose page disabled, I need only perform steps 3-7, which take only a couple of seconds. However, I could be using those extra seconds more productively if the bug was laid to rest.
The Right Man

William

Post by William » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:32 pm

10.4.4 just released. Bug fixed!!