Blender, Orange branch / Win32 (2006/01/08)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zupermonkey

Blender, Orange branch / Win32 (2006/01/08)

Post by zupermonkey »

Orange Branch
Log notes from 06-01-2006 until 08-01-2006

elubie:

FIX: Scaling op pupmenu for materials caused text to be cut off.

Scaling up of the text and icon in pupmenu is prevented now in ui_do_but_MENU

ton:

While testing other code, I found out the scrollwheel code redraws a 2d window 3 (three!) times on every event! This explains why scrollwheel seems to lag quite some when used in buttons or outliner.

The view2dzoom() and view2dmove() code is horrid. Nice project for someone is to move all 2d (View2D struct related) code into its own C file. A lot of that is spread around in the code.

- New UI element: the "Curve Button".

For mapping ranges (like 0 - 1) to another range, the curve button can be used for proportional falloff, bone influences, painting density, etc.
Most evident use is of course to map RGB color with curves.

To be able to use it, you have to allocate a CurveMapping struct and pass this on to the button. The CurveMapping API is in the new C file blenkernel/intern/colortools.c
It's as simple as calling:

Code: Select all

curvemap= curvemapping_add(3, 0, 0, 1, 1)

Which will create 3 curves, and sets a default 0-1 range. The current code only supports up to 4 curves maximum per mapping struct.
The CurveMap button in Blender than handles allmost all editing.
Evaluating a single channel:

float newvalue= curvemapping_evaluateF(curvemap, 0, oldval);

Where the second argument is the channel index, here 0-1-2 are possible.
Or mapping a vector:

curvemapping_evaluate3F(curvemap, newvec, oldvec);
Optimized versions for byte or short mapping is possible too, not done yet.

In butspace.c I've added a template wrapper for buttons around the curve, to reveil settings or show tools; check this screenie:

http://www.blender.org/bf/curves.jpg
  • Buttons R, G, B: select channel
  • icons + and -: zoom in, out
  • icon 'wrench': menu with tools, like clear curve, set handle type
  • icon 'clipping': menu with clip values, and to dis/enable clipping
  • icon 'x': delete selection
In the curve button itself, only LMB clicks are handled (like all UI elements in Blender).
  • click on point: select
  • shift+click on point: swap select
  • click on point + drag: select point (if not selected) and move it
  • click outside point + drag: translate view
  • CTRL+click: add new point
  • hold SHIFT while dragging to snap to grid
    (Yes I know... either one of these can be Blender compliant, not both!)
  • if you drag a point exactly on top of another, it merges them

Other fixes:
  • Icons now draw using "Safe RasterPos", so they align with pixel boundary. the old code made ints from the raster pos coordinate, which doesn't work well for zoom in/out situations
  • bug in Node editing: buttons could not get freed, causing in memory error prints at end of a Blender session. That one was a very simple, but nasty error causing me all evening last night to find! (Hint; check diff of editnode.c, where uiDoButtons is called)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Note from zupermonkey:

This build also contains a patch that makes newly created primitives aligned to world space instead of view space. This patch, however, is not finished yet, so you cannot choose in what kind of space a primitive should be created.

Also, other objects (like lamps and camera's) are still aligned to view space. That's about to change soon.

The patch will be submitted to the tracker later or at the end of this week (can't finish it before because I'll be recovering from a surgery).

Download:
http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds ... show&id=70
Last edited by zupermonkey on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

Thanks. Since I've not been able to build with Cygwin lately, I have to rely on others to do them for me :? Been holding off trying the node editor til it matured enough, and this seems to be the time to jump on it :)
This build also contains a patch that makes newly created primitives aligned to world space instead of view space.
Thank you oh so much!
:D
Last edited by Bellorum on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam »

bug:
added two objects. put boolean modifier on one. click apply. non-specific windows crash.
no console error.

wrbcreations

Post by wrbcreations »

Thank you thank you sooooooo much!

I know it is only a small thing, however, I have wanted to have the primatives aligned to the world space for such a long time, as it helps to start of modeling in the same basic structure as any other modelling program. It is very much appreciated.

And, zupermonkey,please take good care of your self, we hope you get well soon man!

I am sure that because you guys are putting in soooo much effort to get the Orange teams tool set up to speed with their needs, you are all seriously putting blender in line for recognition from within the professional community, though it still may take a while, actually, I beleive that the recent aquisition of maya by the autodesk company was, ( in even just a little way), partly because they realize that opensource programs such as blender are to give them serious competition soon.

I have no idea at all about programing, but I wished I did when I see what has been done by you guys, because I have many ideas floating around in my head, and if I could just make them into reality... well I just recently downloaded the python and the visual studio express editions to start working out programing principles , maybe later I too can help..

Keep up the good work! :lol: :D

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo »

> This build also contains a patch that makes newly created primitives aligned to world space instead of view space. This patch, however, is not finished yet, so you cannot choose in what kind of space a primitive should be created.

That has been asked for SO MANY TIMES!

Many newbie and experienced users will be thanking you!
Mal

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo »

yeah well, it´s quite easy to clear an objects rotation to 0 but still, what is the idea of adding new objects aligned to the view? this had never being usefull to me :? (exept maybe for lamps, I can see some use for it...) and is very confusing for newbies like we saw at the 2.4 release cgtalk tread. So it´s cool it´s getting to an end :P

Edit: Ups tried out the build and ther´s a problem, it does´t create the objects as I spected, it creates the object as allways rotated to face the camera but it clears object rotation in edit mode, I mean the vertices are moved to make the object look like it has no rotation. This is more problematic than it was before becouse now I have to apply the rotation with Ctrl+A to make it really a non rotated object. if a noob tries to animate an object with current implementation it would be a mess :?

Dang is hard for me to explain, here comes a screenie:

See? local rotation values are still like before and that´s quite dangerous, what your patch should do is create the new objets with 0 rotaton values like if they were created from Top view.

See you and thanks for the build, going to try the curve node :D
:-) Hosting for your test builds:
GraphicAll.org

zupermonkey

Post by zupermonkey »

oopa, you're right :)

good catch!
Last edited by zupermonkey on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ysvry

Post by ysvry »

align to vieuw is great too, as you dont have to go and search for your new object. so make a switch instead of replace.

poutsa

Post by poutsa »

ShaderMan:I found this Visual Shader Editor for long time ago..... maybe usefull for Blenders New Node Editor Development!!
Maybe some Coders found something New to add in Blenders Node Editor from this!
this is nothing New for the Coders maybe bud have a Look!
as example you can Add Info Boxes so you can write as Documentation or Infos and some more!
Shaderman
Download here:
http://www.dream.com.ua/thetool.html

seeya

Vassilios Boucer

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

what i realy would like to see is the addition for surface types.

clay, skin, etc have modified light models for those specific material simulations. they work pretty good in my opinion.

claas

arangel

Post by arangel »

The Node Editor is a very welcome feature. Thank you, developers!
Alexandre Rangel
Multimedia Designer
www.3Dzine.com.br

-efbie-

Re: Blender, Orange branch / Win32 (2006/01/08)

Post by -efbie- »

zupermonkey wrote: This build also contains a patch that makes newly created primitives aligned to world space instead of view space. This patch, however, is not finished yet, so you cannot choose in what kind of space a primitive should be created.
I have to say that i do not share your pov on this patch. I'm used to be able to create mesh aligned to view, and it's really useful. With previous behaviour you could easily do an alt-R, or go to top view then create the object if you wanted it to be aligned to world. Now when i work in front or side view i have to rotate every circle/face i create :S

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

-efbie- wrote:
zupermonkey wrote: This build also contains a patch that makes newly created primitives aligned to world space instead of view space. This patch, however, is not finished yet, so you cannot choose in what kind of space a primitive should be created.
I have to say that i do not share your pov on this patch. I'm used to be able to create mesh aligned to view, and it's really useful. With previous behaviour you could easily do an alt-R, or go to top view then create the object if you wanted it to be aligned to world. Now when i work in front or side view i have to rotate every circle/face i create :S
Hence why he's planning to include it as an option - and everybody's happy.
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- »

Bellorum wrote: Hence why he's planning to include it as an option - and everybody's happy.
So i'm happy :)

Edit:Sorry if my previous post was too harsh, i'm sick since three weeks and i have exams : it's getting on my nerves :(
Last edited by -efbie- on Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zupermonkey

Post by zupermonkey »

-efbie- wrote:
Heh, I just forgot to disable some code, that's why you have to rotate every face. It won't be like that in the next build :)

Don't worry, like Bellorum said it's going to be an option.

I fully understand that there are people who might find the align to view method more useful. That's why it'll be possible to align primitives to the view, just like it was before.