Windows BF - Feb 15 / Array Mod+Merge Tools

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:15 pm

I downloaded the last version from cvs just to see Grouping at work. I expected that to be more straightforward, like — Select two or more objects, hit Ctrl-G, and input in a field that automatically comes up the desired name for the group. Also, I expected the created groups to behave afterwards like one entity when selecting any of their components. Not so. :(

Yes, I observed that I can re-add the created group to the scene via Spacebar/Add/Group/the name of the group I created, and only that group acts as a single entity, but if I delete the "parents", the grouped entity is deleted, too.

So… is this intended to be so? Is this the final code for Grouping? Am I missing something? :roll:

bogdan

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:07 pm

Yes, it's not a group like in maya or max, it's so much powerfull this way, I use it for reusing ligthing setups etc
:-) Hosting for your test builds:
GraphicAll.org

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:25 pm

ZanQdo wrote:...it's so much powerfull this way, I use it for reusing ligthing setups etc
I can't see the benefits of this convoluted approach. If Groups would behave as one entity when moving, rotating and scaling them, I could just hit Shift-D to have a duplicate of that perfect lighting setup, or anything else.

But maybe I don't understand you well...

bogdan

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:21 am

make an empty, go to object panels, go to Anim Settings panel Press Dupli group and type the name of the group in the text entry, there's your entity you can duplicate, escalate, rotate and move. Groups in blender are a new object tipe, not just kind of parenting everything to an invisible empty like in other packages
:-) Hosting for your test builds:
GraphicAll.org

nikko

Post by nikko » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:33 pm

hi..

in this moment i will rendering an animation and have a bug...

the animation is a tyranoraurus rex and have softbody..

the softbody moved from de side to side very fast in two frames
and see very bad....

i do it whit the last building

sorry my english :wink:

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:45 pm

About Grouping again:

Trouble is all this system is not intuitive -- lots of users will ask questions on the forums, even if (I hope) the workflow for this way of Grouping will be thoroughly documented in the 2.42 release notes. Hey, not everybody is so ingenious like the coders seem to think... Many people will again feel "not-smart-enough-4-Blender". :cry:

And... who likes to choose a certain group by typing its name from the keyboard? Not nice. :x No offense to anybody, but I still hope this is not the final code.

bogdan

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:55 am

BogdanOancea wrote:About Grouping again:

Trouble is all this system is not intuitive -- lots of users will ask questions on the forums, even if (I hope) the workflow for this way of Grouping will be thoroughly documented in the 2.42 release notes. Hey, not everybody is so ingenious like the coders seem to think... Many people will again feel "not-smart-enough-4-Blender". :cry:

And... who likes to choose a certain group by typing its name from the keyboard? Not nice. :x No offense to anybody, but I still hope this is not the final code.

bogdan
The system is still *very* much in development. I'm currently working on Python Nodes, and daily I need to adapt my work to the crazy pace of the commits Ton does. Sometimes larger changes, sometimes smaller. I'm pretty sure that once the actual framework is in place, also more thought will be put in the actual usability.

/Nathan

BogdanOancea

Post by BogdanOancea » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:08 pm

Ooh-kay... thanks man. Feeling better now 'bout Blender's future. :)

bogdan