Os X gcc 4 test builds

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lukep

Os X gcc 4 test builds

Post by lukep »

before commiting changes to build system, i need the 2 binaries present there to be tested.

especially on 10.3.9

please report here anything that behave differently than on standard cvs.

respond please in this thread, no bug report in tracker for this at it is not yet official

build against CVS on Sunday 26th

[edit] forget to say you must have python 2.4 installed
Last edited by lukep on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suberduber

Post by suberduber »

I've noticed one bug on my Mac so far, when the viewport is set to "Shaded" mode, there is no lighting, all the objects are just black. In "Texture" mode it's fine though. Here's a shot:

I am using a Mac Mini, 1GB of ram, OS 10.4.5, ATI Radeon 9200 (32MB)

I tried both binaries and had the same problem on both.

Everything else is fine though, I love the new node editor :o

TroutMaskReplica

Post by TroutMaskReplica »

this build won't launch for me. i'm on an intel imac. i've upgraded this machine to python 2.4

the official 2.41 release works fine though.

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

works on various machines here
But new glsl stuff is not workling
http://elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62773

also in game engine rortateing around the view via the mouse is very jerky and slow.

Dancougar

Re: Os X gcc 4 test builds

Post by Dancougar »

Hi, I am new to the forums here, and just DLed Blender not too long ago, but have been having problems trying to get version 2.4.1 to work on my G4 dual 500, running OSX 10.4.5. The machine has 1gig of SDRAM, and a 120 gig HD, but whenever I click on the program icon, the program doesn't start. I have seen from other posts here that it can come up under Tiger, but the fact that it doesn't work on my machine puzzles me. Has anyone else had similar problems? Hope to hear back from everyone soon!
--Dancougar

alltaken

Post by alltaken »

Same problem with me.

Blender does not work on any of the macs at University..... 120 of them.

it just never starts, very frustrating it is stoping me doing any work.

OSX 10.4.5
Dual 1.8Ghz G5's
2GB DDR SDRAM
GforceFX 5200

Alltaken

lukep

Post by lukep »

Are you sure those machine have the official python 2.4 from python.org ?

not fink nor darwinports one will work as they are not framework

alltaken

Post by alltaken »

lukep i am not sure.

the problem is they are "university" machines. they are locked down in so many ways that mean i cannot install or change anything.

if i were to request python 2.4 be installed it would mean a 6 month + battle to get the university to approve it.

whereas Maya, Studio tools, Zbrush.... are just installed out of the box and run.

i have managed to get Blender working off my portable HDD on the PC lab here, and everyone is really interested in it (all these animation students are wanting to download it because i am running circles around them). pity it will work on no other labs.

is python a requirement for the everyday opperation of blender? or will it just reduce the plugin support to zero?

being reliant on python IMO is asking for trouble, unless its packaged in a "non-install" situation with it.

no test builds, nor official builds work on the macs.

Alltaken

lukep

Post by lukep »

alltaken wrote:l

is python a requirement for the everyday opperation of blender? or will it just reduce the plugin support to zero?

being reliant on python IMO is asking for trouble, unless its packaged in a "non-install" situation with it.

no test builds, nor official builds work on the macs.

Alltaken
official builds for python 2.3 should work, and yes python is a requirement.

alltaken

Post by alltaken »

I have tried all versions, none work.

I have tried both 2.4 and 2.3 neither even open. so i am assuming that its not a python issue.

What version of python does 10.4.5 ship with.

Alltaken

dschnell289

Post by dschnell289 »

10.3.9 Works great (Make & Scons version) except for shaded view. This is the result - regardless of cube rotation angle, lights, materials, etc.

Last edited by dschnell289 on Sun May 21, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----

dschnell289

Post by dschnell289 »

Alltaken:
All versions of OS X ship with Python 2.3x. You can install 2.4x from python.org, and it will coexist with 2.3.
----

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly are the two files? What do "make" & "scons" mean? If I download the zips, will they just unzip as Blender apps as per usual or do they need to be processed somehow to be usable?

Is this test build different than the one you produced to solve the audio trouble Randall and I reported? (That build is still going strong for me but does lack a couple of features, especially Quicktime export).
Andy D

I'm a great speller but a hopless tpyist

dschnell289

Post by dschnell289 »

Make and Scons are two "automaters" that help in compiling source code and making a binary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scons
The ZIPs are indeed binaries (.app) compiled with one of each of the compiler systems.
----

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

Thanks. I guess I'll just try one and see how it goes.
Andy D

I'm a great speller but a hopless tpyist