Blender v2.41 & YafRay v0.0.8 for Windows x64 *[Apr-25]*

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

adkiller

Post by adkiller »

CoolDudePT wrote:Hi all! I've been using blender for a while now and I'm sorta new to yafray. I want to take advantage of my AMD64 and XP 64, so I downloaded the 2 builds (blender+yafray) from the links above. However after installing both blender console givesd me this error when trying to render with yafray:
Fatal error: This program was not built to run on the processor in your system.
Could you send me the following info?
1. Download and run the following CPU identification utility.

Code: Select all

http://crystalmark.info/download/download.cgi?file=CrystalCPUID47x64.zip
2. Press Ctrl+S and save the info from the above file as CoolDudePT_CPU.txt.
3. E-mail it to me: adkiller at post dot com

Thanks.
-Ad

CoolDudePT

Post by CoolDudePT »

Thanks for the reply :)

Done! the txt file is in your inbox :)

cya
Why can't you CTRL+Z in real life?

adkiller

Post by adkiller »

CoolDudePT wrote:Thanks for the reply :)

Done! the txt file is in your inbox :)

cya
I have made a special build for SSE2 here:
http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds ... how&id=128

Please test it and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
-Ad

yomoyomo

Post by yomoyomo »

i've installed both blender and yafray 64 bit versions, and they run. However, when I'm using blender, i find it starts to respond slower and slower as time passes by. I've checked the 32 bit version of blender, and its the same problem, except it doesn't get as slow.(slow meaning menu items lag and the redraw rate is noticibly slower) What could be the problem?

[edit]
I just tried to render the following file:
http://mpan3.homeip.net/Graphics/WorkFi ... mark.blend

and it crashes once its finished sampling, and starting to render. On the 64 bit version, not the 32, the 32 bit renders fine

[edit edit]
The following are my relevant system specs:

AMD Sempron 64 3200+
1280 mb RAM
Windows XP x64 version 2003 SP1

adkiller

Post by adkiller »

yomoyomo wrote:i've installed both blender and yafray 64 bit versions, and they run. However, when I'm using blender, i find it starts to respond slower and slower as time passes by. I've checked the 32 bit version of blender, and its the same problem, except it doesn't get as slow.(slow meaning menu items lag and the redraw rate is noticibly slower) What could be the problem?
Have not experienced this so far. Could you upgrade your display drivers and see if the problems still persist?
yomoyomo wrote:I just tried to render the following file:
http://mpan3.homeip.net/Graphics/WorkFi ... mark.blend

and it crashes once its finished sampling, and starting to render. On the 64 bit version, not the 32, the 32 bit renders fine
I have downloaded the scene and have experienced the same problem. I will need to investigate this further.

However, rendering under YafRay seems to have no problems.
yomoyomo wrote:The following are my relevant system specs:
AMD Sempron 64 3200+
1280 mb RAM
Windows XP x64 version 2003 SP1
I will need more info:
1. Download and run the following CPU identification utility.

Code: Select all

http://crystalmark.info/download/download.cgi?file=CrystalCPUID47x64.zip
2. Press Ctrl+S and save the info from the above file as yomoyomo_CPU.txt.
3. E-mail it to me: adkiller at post dot com

Thanks.
-Ad

etr9j

Post by etr9j »

Hey Ad,

I e-mailed you at the address listed above, but I don't think you got it. Saw your news submission at http://www.blendernation.com and I was looking to chat. If you get a chance, e-mail at etr9j <at> blendernation <dot> com

yomoyomo

Post by yomoyomo »

I'm using the newest display drivers for my GPU, which is an ATI one. Other 32 bit GL applications work fine, its just blender that doesnt. 32 bit blender shows no acceleration, and 64 bit just slows down continuously

adkiller

Will be right back after these messages

Post by adkiller »

To CoolDude and yomoyomo,

I have been a bit busy lately. I hope you guys give me some time to track the Blender Internal Renderer issues. At this point the compiler optimization settings are the potential problem. I still need to analyze it further to resolve it.

To etr9j,

I would like to submit an article for the benefits of Stackless in Blender. I just to need find the time for it. ;-)

All in all I would like to assure all of you guys this; I will release Windows x64 builds of blender as long as I could get my paws on the sources and an AMD64/EM64T machine to build & test it.

Please keep the feedback coming. I truly appreciate your contributions. I am also testing x64 CVS releases regularly to see if the problems in my current releases are resolved in the upcoming v2.42.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their support.

Cheers,
-Ad

etr9j

Post by etr9j »

Glad to see you're posting again Ad! If you write about stackless, I'll definitely post it!

m25

Re: Blender v2.41 & YafRay v0.0.8 for Windows x64 *[Apr-

Post by m25 »

adkiller wrote:Here are the links to download 'em:
Blender v2.41 for Windows x64 (P2)
Blender v2.41 for Windows x64 (P2) (Mirror 1)
Blender v2.41 for Windows x64 (P2) (Mirror 2)
YafRay v0.0.8 for Windows x64

For AMD64/EM64T processors without SSE3 support:
YafRay v0.0.8 for Windows x64-SSE2 (P1)

Stackless Python is an enhanced version of the Python programming language. More info and a x64 build for Blender is available from here:
Stackless Python 2.4.3 for Blender x64 v2.41

The applications were built with SSE3 optimizations but is also useable on SSE2 CPUs. Please post in this thread if you have any problems. I have made some code tweaks to utilise 64-bit optimizations. You should be able to see a 40%-60% speed increase in most cases. Since this is a native x64 application, it takes advantage of 64-bit OpenGL drivers. We have thoroughly tested the above builds and it is stable as the official 32-bit releases.

Works on both EM64T and AMD64 running Windows x64 editions.

NOTE: This release will *only* work on the following OS:
1. Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
2. Microsoft Windows 2003 Server x64 Edition

This release will *not* work on Windows XP Home and XP Pro (32-bit Edition) running on AMD64/EM64T processors.

Warning: If you have a previous x64 blender build from me installed, please uninstall it and use the above release instead. The previous builds have serious boolean and file open bugs that could crash your system and corrupt your scenes.

Change Log:
Build P2 (March 13, 2006)
-Blender 32-bit compatibility fixes added.
Stackless Python 2.4.2 x64 (March 27, 2006)
-Added download link for Stackless Python x64
YafRay SSE2 P1 (April 25, 2006)
-SSE2 build with all SSE2 dependencies released
Stackless Python 2.4.3 x64 (April 25, 2006)
-Updated stackless python released

Enjoy,
-Ad
Holy God!!! 57% improvement in raytracing and more than 100% (2 times faster) in radiosity rendering. Thet's dual core speeds for my athlon64 3000+!
All my previous 32 bit files worked fine except one which shuts down blender during rendering.
Another thing I would recomend is some memory management improvements:
You may have a lot of RAM or small files but with my actual 512 RAM with a pretty detailed scene, after swapping some 800MB on the HD (for the OSA before rendering) it also stores part of it on the RAM and fills it totally so during rendering, it still has to swap the image on the HD, greatly deteriorating performance resulting in a choppy process: It does even 2-3 times worse than 32 bit blender. I have noticed the 32 bit lets a pretty good amount of RAM free before rendering and then the rendering is always smooth, even if the file is very large.
Congratulations for what you have done till now, hope you fix this too because even with 1GB of RAM or more this problem will persist and for large files, at best it totally cancels the 64 bit advantage.

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey »

Hi

Sorry to bump this, but I have just finnished building a 64 bit windows system, and wondered if you would be doing a 2.42 64bit version :D

Ken

adkiller

Post by adkiller »

kencanvey wrote:Hi

Sorry to bump this, but I have just finnished building a 64 bit windows system, and wondered if you would be doing a 2.42 64bit version :D

Ken
The SSE3 release is out now!:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54822

This is the best x64 release ever, with many improvements! :D

Thanks,
-Ad