bfblender + SculptPatch / OSX PPC (2006/10/31) updated

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

psyborgue

bfblender + SculptPatch / OSX PPC (2006/10/31) updated

Post by psyborgue » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:36 am

This build is CVS patched with Nicolas Bishiop's most recent patch as of writing. This is meant to be used for testing / toying purposes only... Read the readme in the download for full details.

Changes since 2006/10/3:

- Gamma Correction change removed to match other blender versions.
- multires render crash fixed
- soft body self colission
- lots of other CVS goodness

Changes since 2006/10/6:

- some bugs squished (thanks nick).
- Sculpt mode "safe mode" added (under system & openGL).

Changes since 2006/10/8

- New shadow map options
- New soft body options
- python stuff

Changes since 2006/10/17
- bug fixes, other stuff.
- check cvs log. too tired now.

Changes since 2006/10/26
- sculpt speed regression fix
- bishop's 12th sculpt patch applied

Changes since 2006/10/27
- massive sculpt mode speed up
- soft body self colission speedup

Download 2003/10/31 Here: http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/.Publ ... t%2031.zip

Please report bugs They won't dissappear if Nick and the others don't know they exist.
Last edited by psyborgue on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

jtuttle

Doesn't work

Post by jtuttle » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:54 pm

It doesn't work on my iBook:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libIex.4.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/jpt9/Desktop/CVS Blender Oct 3/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender
Reason: image not found

Mac OS X 10.4.1, 512MB RAM, 1.33GHz G4

-- J.P.

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:49 pm

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libIex.4.dylib
Looks like you are missing OpenEXR.

jtuttle

Post by jtuttle » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:53 pm

OpenEXR and SDL (I have them now.) Works beautifully, except for the fact that it crashes if it tries to render a multires object. Looks great, though. Can't wait for 2.43!

-- J.P.

psyborgue

OpenEXR

Post by psyborgue » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:17 am

It should render if you delete the multires before render (just hit the delete button where "Make" used to be. Still this makes rendering animation impossable at the moment. I believe it will be a while before the next version is relased. A whole bunch of stuff has recently been coded becuase of SOC but blender is still in Stage 1 (out of 3) of development. It's rumored the next release will be called 2.45 or 2.5.

Ton's off the net until the fifth (reviewing some patches). It's break time for most of the devs now.

B-con1 (stage 1) is the time to get suggestions and feature proposals in so if you have something great in mind make a webpage or propose it on the wiki.

I'm an artist who used to be a programmer (govt. jobs will burn you out) so i'm thinking of getting back into it casually with Blender... maybe submit a patch or two. I'll make another build if anything of importance is added to CVS. (though i may stop doing this once graphicall is back up since i'm using my iDisk to host these files.)

If you're artist and see a patch on the Patch Tracker that you would like to try, notify me and i'll do it if i have time.

@jbuttle: you should probably do a software update for Mac OS. Older versions (such as 10.4.1) have GL issues (especially on Nvidia cards.)

psyborgue

Oct 6 Update

Post by psyborgue » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 am

Check it out man.. it like working great now. sweeet. download, enjoy.

psyborgue

Bugreport

Post by psyborgue » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:52 am

Bug Number One: resolved

When zoomed in in sculpt mode, i cannot move vertices. If i zoom out, it works. Maybe some sort of depth clipping issue? When i click it does this.

most of the geometry dissappears (when lmb held down) leaving just a few vertices closest to the camera. the vertices that still remain, however can be moved. This does not become an issue at all unless i am zoomed close into the mesh.

Hope this helps you Nick.

Nvidia 6800 Ultra DDL
Version: 1.5 1.4.18
Mac Osx 10.4.8
dual g5 ppc

Bug Number Two: resolved

When Dragging the mouse along the mesh in sclupt mode with the smooth brush edges leave trails as they move(other brushes do this as well but with smooth it is the most noticible). It works fine but looks terrible.

Bug Number Three: seems to be resolved

Symmetry Breaks after a while of sculpting. I started from a mirrored mesh. It broke.

Symmetry seems to work perfectly now. (i've been trying to break it for a couple hours now)

Bug Number Four: active

after coming out of edit mode the wireframe is only drawn partially on top of the mesh. This is inconsistant with normal sculpt behavior:
the mesh looks like this. It does not go away while sculpting making it impossable to see other edges.

Bug Number Five: active

Proportional Falloff (o key) breaks retopo. It does not crash, but the vertices do not end up in the right place either. It would be really sweet if this feature worked. If not it should probably be disabled when retopo is in use.

update: 10/10 : One can use the "retopo all" button after using proportional edit to get this to work in most circumstances. Still. I wonder if it's better off disabled for new users who haven't figured out how retopo works yet.

Crash Number One: updated oct 8

Deleting a face on a higher level, exiting edit mode, and then switching to a lower level causes a crash with this from gdb:

Code: Select all

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x169e3008
0x000d2b04 in VecSubf ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x000d2b04 in VecSubf ()
#1  0x0021d7b4 in multires_update_levels ()
#2  0x0021e7c0 in multires_set_level ()
#3  0x000c336c in ui_do_but_NUM ()
#4  0x000c7088 in ui_do_button ()
#5  0x000c9580 in ui_do_block ()
#6  0x000c9f58 in uiDoBlocks ()
#7  0x00042018 in winqreadbutspace ()
#8  0x0002056c in screenmain ()
#9  0x00004854 in main ()
Crash Number Two: updated oct 8

Using undo in sculpt mode causes a crash. gdb says this:

Code: Select all

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x436f6be0

Reading symbols for shared libraries ...................... done
/Users/psyborgue/20276: No such file or directory.
Attaching to program: `/Users/psyborgue/Desktop/CVS Blender Oct 6/Oct 6 blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender', process 20276.
Reading symbols for shared libraries ...................................................................+++.++.+......... done
0x00013670 in MEM_freeN ()

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x436f6be0
0x00013670 in MEM_freeN ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x00013670 in MEM_freeN ()
#1  0x0021c128 in multires_free ()
#2  0x000d5600 in free_libblock ()
#3  0x000d587c in free_main ()
#4  0x00007ee8 in setup_app_data ()
#5  0x00008354 in BKE_read_file_from_memfile ()
#6  0x00008408 in read_undosave ()
#7  0x000365fc in BIF_undo ()
#8  0x00149288 in blenderqread ()
#9  0x0001f8f0 in screenmain ()
#10 0x00003fb4 in main ()
update: this issue seems to only happen with blender files created with earlier versions of blender (not sure which one exactly. know it wasn't a sculpt build) maybe dna is wonky. It seems to work when starting from scratch. need to test some other older files.

Tiny Feature Requests:

Symmetry Issue:
When i want to move a vertex in edit mode it breaks the symmetry of the model in sculpt mode (unless i'm really careful). It would be helpful for either the symmetry to work in edit mode if turned on in sculpt mode, or for sculpt mode to have a "move vertex" brush.

Rough Shading
Have an option to turn off smooth shading to see the geometry without using wireframe. This is default in Zbrush.

Current Stability Review:

Much better than Maya. Need to test more. So far so good. Crashes are predictable and repeatable.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Won't launch or run. iMac Intel Duo Core 17" with 1 GB RAM, OS-X 10.4.8.

psyborgue

re: Won't launch or run

Post by psyborgue » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:16 pm

It's not an Intel build. Also i believe iMacs have known issues with video cards and blender. I may be wrong. There should be other builds on the forum for intel mac. Hopefully the next blender release is a universal binary. If you get an error message on launch, or in the console, i might be able to help since this build might run under rosetta. I have no way of testing it, however.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:20 pm

OK, didn't see anywhere whether this was UB or PPC. FYI, current 2.42a UB works on my iMac without any video issues. There is a ".blend file grows" issue that I've reported on the bug tracker, but no graphics issues so far. Thanks.

psyborgue

retopo testing complete

Post by psyborgue » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:23 pm

before retopo after initial sclupting

after retopo and a little sculpting. Poly count is less than half at same level of detail.

4th level without wireframe

Testing summary:

No crashes (10-15 hours work total). Retopo paint is amazing. I never thought such a thing possable. I'm used to drawing on things with a sharpie to plan out wireframes. I never imagined it might be possable to use that same technique in blender to actually build a mesh. Stunning work Nick!

psyborgue

Post by psyborgue » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:37 pm

bigkahuna wrote:OK, didn't see anywhere whether this was UB or PPC. FYI, current 2.42a UB works on my iMac without any video issues. There is a ".blend file grows" issue that I've reported on the bug tracker, but no graphics issues so far. Thanks.
Yeah. Sorry about that. I updated the forum header.

Are you sure 2.42a is a UB? I was under the impression that It was still ppc (but running under rosetta). As i said, if you can post a message you're getting (applications/Utilities/Console) i might be able to help you get it running. It should run under Rosetta.

If not, i have GCC 4.0.1 which cross-compiles for intel. If we can't resolve the issue with this build, I'll look into making an intel build. No guarantees though (probably some endian issues becuase SCONS still thinks will compile with defines set for PPC). It might work from xcode.. I have no way of testing it. It will likely be for you alone (though if it works i will post it for everybody).

If that fails, it would be greatly appreciated if you could download the source, build it, and post it to test. It's been a while since the last intel build showed up here.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:00 am

On this page:

http://www.blender.org/cms/Blender.31.0.html

Fifth download link down it says it's for Intel and I've been running it for over a month now and it seems fairly quick. Would love to get a UB build of CVS to play with but it's not urgent. My bigger issue is the bug I alluded to in the previous post (it was posted in the Bug Tracker yesterday). That bug causes my game engine (Unity) to crash when trying to import the Blender file.

psyborgue

Post by psyborgue » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:07 am

Ok. Wow. I didn't realize an intel build had been officially released yet. I looked on unity's website and saw that it indeed does support the import of blend files (which is odd considering how complicated this would be). The developer documentation (search for "SDNA") explains this further. I would recommend exporting to another file format if you're having problems importing .blend files. I'll send you a message if i get an intel build built.

The easiest for you, however, would probably be to download the cvs, dependencies, and compile with scons. It's relatively straightforward (especially if you're used to *nix.) It might be a bit more complicated for you though since the pre-compiled libs included with cvs are ppc only (AFAIK, as of last month). You might try and contact one of the posters of an intel build to find out more about how to do it on an intel mac.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 am

Thanks Psyborg but I'm about as "unskilled" in the compiling Blender from source group as anyone can be. I've only had a mac about a month and a half and haven't even the slightest idea how to compile from source. I've found a work around for the "growing .blend" problem so I'll be OK for now.