RSS feed for blender.org

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gsusfreek

RSS feed for blender.org

Post by gsusfreek » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:52 am

Hi. I was wondering if anybody with Blender would be interested in getting an RSS news feed for blender.org?

If so, I would be willing to write a program that would do the job.

I'm still a college student (sophomore) in computer science. I've been studying a lot of game-based programming and web-based programming in my spare time, but I'm not a guru at it, yet. What I mean is that I know I couldn't write the code for the job without doing some studying, but I am relatively certain that I could fairly quickly get some working code to the site administrators (or whoever would need to get the code).

Most likely, it would be code that would need to be integrated into the "new topic" web page (I believe it is a php page... correct?) for the main blender.org site.

Anyway, I can worry about more details later. Is anybody interested in this at all?! Or am I just wasting my time? I think it would be a valuable addition to the blender site.

So... what do you think?

gsusfreek

Post by gsusfreek » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:19 pm

I guess that's a no.

reed

Post by reed » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:56 pm

I'd find an RSS feed convenient. I believe the site runs using 'PostNuke', so you could look into adding general RSS support to that (or maybe it already supports RSS in some version). The 'projects' section runs on 'GForge', it would be cool to have feeds of project news/releases.

reed

Coz

Post by Coz » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:19 pm

I would like an RSS feed too in the Blender site. I came just to add it to my list of "stuff I check everyday after I get up". I tought it had RSS but it seems it doesn't :p So I was gonna ask for it and seems like someone else did it already :)

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:00 am

I remembered a topic about this from a while ago, and had a hunch that postnuke automatically had a news feed. I checked on the web server and found it - it's at http://www.blender.org/backend.php . This isn't really publicised on the site or with the 'feed available' html tags. I don't know whether it's worth publicising now anyway, since postnuke's days on here are numbered.

olivs

Post by olivs » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:44 pm

broken wrote:I checked on the web server and found it - it's at http://www.blender.org/backend.php . This isn't really publicised on the site or with the 'feed available' html tags. I don't know whether it's worth publicising now anyway, since postnuke's days on here are numbered.
hey, I think it's worthy: I was about to ask if such feeds existed and I'm glad I found the answer in theses forums... The prooth it works:

::feeblemind.org::

Thanks broken for the information :)

bmud

Post by bmud » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:46 am

Do it. I use RSS whenever it's available. It'll lighten the load on the blender.org server too I bet. or better yet, it'll make the load heavier by bringing in more people.

ebswift

Post by ebswift » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:17 am

In my opinion, RSS is vital nowadays. I track a lot of software, and I don't want to be surfing all of them all the time to see if anything new is going on. It's way better to have the RSS feed reader highlight any changes day to day. It's a timesaver, but doesn't necessarily reduce traffic to a site because the feedreaders constantly query feeds to keep themselves up-to-date... it's actually enough to cause major bandwidth blowouts on some sites, so I guess it's partially dependant on the available bandwidth to blender.org and the expected number of feed readers which are going to be hitting.

Have a look at my free and open source software page here:

http://opensource.ebswift.com/

A lot of the software has an RSS feed, but much of it does not. It really is easy to implement. BTW the backend link posted above produces a blank page for me, and a 'feed not found' when trying to use it as a feed, so I can guess it's dead.

I built my own RSS feeds for my site (albeit in .Net), so I might be able to offer help too, though it's really not rocket science. It's just a matter of someone letting us help. I think blender, the site and associated projects are great, keep up the good work.
~Troy

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:26 am

I'd love an RSS feed for both the Blender News and the Announcements on the main page. However the site is not postnuke. The new home page and content is all developed using Typo3 CMS. There may already be plugins available for Typo3 to do an RSS feed of the items out there depending on how the front page is implemented.

mjordan

Post by mjordan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:24 am

So, what are the conclusions?
I know RSS Feeds worked for the old web site, even if they were never "announced".
I'm guessing if this is still valid for the new web site... I can't find any suitable url ...
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
You can't live with women, you can't live without women.
Fuzzy logic example.

B@rt

Post by B@rt » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:42 am

Hi all,

we're currently preparing an RSS feed for the news and announcements. There are some issues to solve to prevent flooding of the server but the basic system is in place. More news soon!

B@rt

mjordan

Post by mjordan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:34 pm

Thanks b@rt, great news :wink:
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
Fuzzy logic example.

B@rt

Post by B@rt » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:21 am

All done! I've added the RSS link to the homepage and the news section. It will also appear on other pages as soon as someone republishes them, but I think those two are the most important.

Enjoy!

B@rt

Koba

Post by Koba » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:54 am

Thanks!!

Livebookmarking now.

Koba

mjordan

Post by mjordan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:20 pm

B@rt wrote:All done! I've added the RSS link to the homepage and the news section. It will also appear on other pages as soon as someone republishes them, but I think those two are the most important.

Enjoy!

B@rt
Ehhm, B@rt, I can't find anything that is RSS feed related :P
Can you post here the urls for news and announcements? :idea:

Thanks.
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
Fuzzy logic example.