If i want to use BLENDER logo for nonprofit?

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gumara

If i want to use BLENDER logo for nonprofit?

Post by gumara »

i want to make a t-shirt with Blender logo onit for non profit can i do that?

halibut

Post by halibut »

If it's just for yourself I don't think anyone can argue with you advertising blender :P

I am actually sure though, I think the logo has some different licsence

bmud

Post by bmud »

The blender logo, eye and text, are copyright of NaN and thus now the Blender foundation. It's virtually the only thing blender-associated that's protected by Trademark law. Ton & others have already expanded on the usage rules of the blender logo before, so I'll just be regurgitating:

The logo can't be shown in different colors other than the originals
If the logo is put on a dark background, it must have the white sleeve (as seen on blender3d.org)
If the logo is on a light background or white, the white sleeve is not necessary.
Using the logo to promote Blender is OK.

Your specifics of the situation usually are what dictate what is OK and what is not. The idea -- I think -- is primarily to keep a consistent relationship between the "standardized logo" and "Blender 3D" without ambiguous relations.

To give some examples:
A. An unofficial "made in Blender" title screen for blender-made games is OK because it follows all the guidelines and has one function: promoting blender.
B. Let's say that you made a 30-second promotional animation for current_ tv in blender and thought it would be neat to throw in the blender logo (secretly). There's a chance that in a situation like this that the company would want rights to the content and all icons and logos within the work. Then you might run into problems.

Most cases where people want to use the blender logo for non-profit reasons are promotional and thus I say go for it! Spread the word (even is you happen to break one of those tiny stipulations)!

There are tee shirts in the blender store btw ;) but they have no blue dot! :oops:
Last edited by bmud on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rcas

Re: If i want to use BLENDER logo for nonprofit?

Post by rcas »

gumara wrote:i want to make a t-shirt with Blender logo onit for non profit can i do that?
You should get in contact with ton, [ton] AT [blender] DOT [org].
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

It's virtually the only thing blender-associated that's protected by copyright law.
Pretty much everything associated with Blender is protected by copyright law. However the logo and relatead are also protected by Trademark law.

To the individual requesting, you should contact Ton directly to make the request since he has control of the trademark.

LetterRip

bmud

Post by bmud »

You should get in contact with ton
I'll have to agree with that. He makes the final decision. Hopefully the ranting will still help ton from getting too many e-mails. :roll:

btw, thanks Letterrip. I had a letterslip (ha!)

Ryz

Post by Ryz »

Is there an official blender eps or ai file somewhere (or a big enough image of the logo)? I looked in the wiki and on main site, but couldn't find one. Would be nice if one could be supplied (perhaps along with the usage guidelines and correct colors, etc.) in the distribution (like for instance Lightwave does).

My main intent is to use it for instance on a picture generated with Blender (like some do)... Having an ai, svg or eps would also make the for a great example in a logo tutorial ;)

I saw two models are available in the blender model archive. One is nice, but has restricted use, the other I don't like.

TIA,
Richard