Forum links

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mongrol

Forum links

Post by mongrol »

Hi folks,

It's clear that the move of blender.org to merge with blender3d.org is creating some confusion with regards to the forums. These forums are getting a lot of normal user posts as the user's are going to blender.org and clicking on the big forum button on the left hand side. I think a bit of tweaking is needed with perhaps a User Forum link going to elysiun and a development forum link for here.

Wazzzap?

joeri

Post by joeri »

left hand side?

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

I think the same.
To Take a decission is urgent:
Or add a user forum here, or show a big image_link to elysiun.

My two cents.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

joeri

Post by joeri »

I'd say start a user forum here.
If not show a big link to the community website page
http://www.blender.org/cms/Websites.7.0.html
Why would the independant elysiun get any special treat on the others?

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

The new users need an easy way to find the user forum, and a link to the websites page don´t help to much.
I think the better is to open a user forum here, but only for newbies.
The blenderheads no need for it.
Caronte.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Caronte wrote: a link to the websites page don´t help to much.
Why not?

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

Already here (at left side) and no one (or few) to use it.
Caronte.

mongrol

Post by mongrol »

I don't agree with creating a user forum here. Elysiun already provides a full resource for the general user community and it would be foolish to split this up between there and here while this forum cannot match what Elysiun offers. All we need is the link (on the right hand side) changed to say Development Forum and another created pointing to "Elysiun Community forum" or "User forums at Elysiun".

joeri

Post by joeri »

mongrol wrote:here while this forum cannot match what Elysiun offers.
I think blender.org can offer much more than what elysiun does (website pretending forum)
Maybe that will change with the new elysiun.

But I don't understand why .org should point to a site where profesionals and educators (at least the ones I know) don't want to 'hang around'; as "The" user website. For french users (big community) I can think of much better places to go to.

On the other hand I don't see what's realy wrong with pointing users to a user site on this forum. They now get a sniff of the fact that blender is developed.

mongrol

Post by mongrol »

joeri wrote:
mongrol wrote:here while this forum cannot match what Elysiun offers.
I think blender.org can offer much more than what elysiun does (website pretending forum)
Maybe that will change with the new elysiun.
Hmm, I suppose I'm wrong in saying blender.org can't offer what Elysiun does. What I really mean is, if a user forum was created here, it would need to at least match what Elysiun offers to stand a chance of not splitting the community. A real community (user, not developer) would need to be built with good moderator support, WIP forums, Gallery forums etc...

On the other hand I don't see what's realy wrong with pointing users to a user site on this forum. They now get a sniff of the fact that blender is developed.
It's unprofessional. The website just says "forum", users stumble in and post before they discover its actually a development forum.

I do agree that this forum should be expanded and a community effort should be undertaken. A community that promotes a more professional feeling would benefit everyone.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Why not just add 'deep link' links to point to the correct place at the elysiun forums? It would make the page a bit longer, but would save time of both the users and developers of questions being posted in the wrong forums...

LetterRip

Katt

Post by Katt »

The issue still seems to be growing; how about if the 'forums' button on the front page points to a big list of user forums (probably with elYsiun at the top) and somewhere else on the blender.org page can be a small, insignificant button for the developers forum?