Blender forum for professional users

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:21 pm

I made a mockup of the mainpage as i see it, what do you think ?
http://www.mentalwarp.com/~fred/divers/BlenderPro.png

rcas

Post by rcas » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:49 pm

-efbie- wrote:I made a mockup of the mainpage as i see it, what do you think ?
http://www.mentalwarp.com/~fred/divers/BlenderPro.png
Look cool, but try and make it less dark, because that tend to scare people away.

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:06 pm

i'll do different versions, it's true that it looks a little too dark on my crt screen.

I don't think that darkness itself will scare people, look at cgtalk, it's a lot darker.

I tried to make the website look like an expensive device, maybe it looks too elitist ?

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:23 pm

I think it's better to first make a functional design and then a graphical design.

I too think the apple / blender / white approache is a better one compared to the dark / elysiun / cgtalk one.
This is because the pro's I have in mind look at the site during the day as oposed to the other sites where people look at at night.

But,... Very good that you can do a design like this in 2 hours when you state that work like this is a "time consuming task" :P

I like the vertical split. But I was thinking that our site should have member selectable articles on the front page. (Teachers want the teaching news on top) Also I would like to see much more icons and colors that indicate areas-of-interest. Maybe we could also come up with something like the blender-world from the blender2.0 guide. So that it's clear in one view for whom an article is written for without having to read it.

Further more....
I think you take up to much space with none-info;
The header is beautiful and moody (and almost readable) But the top of the site is the most expensive one. That's what everybody sees without having to scroll. So I'd expect a better use for it then the title, the header and blackness.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:02 pm

the time consuming task is to find a design that pleases everyone and translate it into a valid css template for the cms ^^ (i'll need help for this one)

I like the graphical approach better because it takes us closer to the solution and so makes more important problems more obvious. talking about the design of a website with words is too abstract for me.

The header is indeed too big. Problem is that my tft is hi-res, and renders black quite bright, now that i've checked it on another screen, it looks a little big, so I'll make something more space efficient. (but i like the "we have space to waste because we are rich and succesfull" feel)

you raised a point with the day-night thing :)

being able to select categories is also a nice idea. but i doubt that we can show more than three categories at the same time. So if we want to keep a vertical layout we need to find three categories that can please everyone. (maybe with subcategories)
the advantages of a vertical layout is that it brings on top different stories, and that it is much more structured than a single stack à la slashdot layout.

and could you provide a link to that blenderworld thing ?

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:40 pm

-efbie- wrote:the time consuming task is to find a design that pleases everyone and translate it into a valid css template for the cms ^^ (i'll need help for this one)
Just teasing you.
-efbie- wrote:I like the graphical approach better because it takes us closer to the solution and so makes more important problems more obvious. talking about the design of a website with words is too abstract for me.
It also means doing things over many many times. And most of the time you'll find it hard to kill yur darling because yet another button needs to be added. But being an designer myself I understand the abstraction problem.

-efbie- wrote:The header is indeed too big. Problem is that my tft is hi-res, and renders black quite bright, now that i've checked it on another screen, it looks a little big, so I'll make something more space efficient. (but i like the "we have space to waste because we are rich and succesfull" feel)
Hmmm. www.apple.com they are rich and succesfull, yet their header is small and informative. Their index page up to date and interesting.

too boring to my taste: http://www.softimage.com/home/
but personal profile and site in french optional. Areas on top/legend on the top. (apple style)

http://www.alias.com/eng/index.shtml ... white in the pro-support parts and blackish on the community part . Small header, Areas on top, legend on the left (blender style :) ).
you raised a point with the day-night thing :)
yup. also keep in mind that 1 out of 10 men is colorblind, even among graphic designers.
being able to select categories is also a nice idea. but i doubt that we can show more than three categories at the same time. So if we want to keep a vertical layout we need to find three categories that can please everyone. (maybe with subcategories)
nope, let the member configure it's own homepage!
the advantages of a vertical layout is that it brings on top different stories, and that it is much more structured than a single stack à la slashdot layout.
Slashwhat? Our profesionals don't like to be on the internet, and they are not web nerds. If they where they would be in blender.org or elysiun or cgtalk... I think.

http://www.maxon.net/ small header. Top areas / left legend. Bottom policy/Copyright etc.

and could you provide a link to that blenderworld thing ?
You don't own the blender2.0 guide ??? Hmmm. I don't have the pdf from the e-shop. I do have the cd-rom somewhere...

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:05 pm

kidb wrote:I would be up for helping out.

I can house the server the site.

I can sponsor the Domainname(s):
blenderprofessional.com/net/org/orwhatever.

I cannot afford buying a real server (IBM x445)

but

I could look for a machine which is sufficient for this purpose.

Well that's great!

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:32 pm

ok, i made some adjustements, you can find a few different versions there
http://www.mentalwarp.com/~fred/divers/ ... lenderPro/
you might like that one :
http://www.mentalwarp.com/~fred/divers/ ... erPro5.png

Maybe it's still too big ?

I want to be clear, i won't make one button changes to this design, it' just a basis mockup to experiment ideas and to have something to refer when we discuss.

BTW, nice summary of competing websites. I personally find most of them overly complicated and hard to navigate, especially the alias community one.

When i thought of a pro community website I was thinking of a much smaller website, there isn't billions of pro blender users yet. Do you have an estimation of the amount of people that might be interested in this website ?

PS: slashdot was just the first website that came in mind when thinking of a layout i wouldn't want on a pro community website :)

PPS : And no i don't own the blender2.0 guide :( I only use blender since 2.32 ...

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 am

More ideas about website architecture :

Home page : host news. Different categories of news are displayed, those categories are chosen by the user. The displayed news are small resumes linking to a more complete article where the community can react and comment.
Example of categories : Headlines (big news), art (latest outsanding art, artist interview, tutorial, etc..), community (concerning the website), Education, Tech (review and preview of blender features)

Forum : well, a forum, with various free and paying sections. Example of sections : News, troubles, education workshop, Feedback, share area.

Planet : blog aggregator, with a blog service provided for users.

References : Stuff to print or to read, like hotkeymaps, guides, manuals, etc.

Media : Stuff to watch, an animation and render gallery of chosen artworks.

Articles Historic of all published articles, with search, etc...

Toolbox Personal preferences, article and blog redaction.

-

rcas

Post by rcas » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:06 am

I like the 5 one better :D .

I wasn't able to load anything to the Wiki as I am doing a Figure for another Project and have to finish it ASAP, so not much time for me to do other stuff.

I will try and organize it this weekend, it is a better timming, get all ideas there and try to sum up everything and add my own thoughts.

Also, I like your ideas and all I can say is keep them comming.

In case anyone misses it, there is still a place that you guys are forgetting, the Job placements and requests and well as the Blender Development Bounty's.

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:22 am

Hi,

while currently the professional base is fairly modest - I think we need to plan for after Siggraph, where I expect we shall have huge growth.

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:57 am

LetterRip wrote:Hi,

while currently the professional base is fairly modest - I think we need to plan for after Siggraph, where I expect we shall have huge growth.

LetterRip
Good point. That's on 30 July 2006.

rcas

Post by rcas » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:34 am

joeri wrote:
LetterRip wrote:Hi,

LetterRip
Good point. That's on 30 July 2006.
Having the Blender Professionals Portal before that might also help in the growth.

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:39 pm

another important point that has not been discussed is the integrations with the current websites. I especially think of the bugtracker and wiki documentation. Users tend to report bug in the forums and the developpers won't read it, so we should maybe make a bugreport section pointing to gforge.

Should the "reference" page link to the blender.org wiki or should we host our own system ?

another interesting system that i've seen on the ubuntu forums is a malinglist section where the users can read and reply to mailing lists without leaving the forum
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6
you can of course make those mailing list readonly.

and for the bounties/ job requests i think that a forum section is enough.