Blender on OS X: A nightmare

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

slater2

Blender on OS X: A nightmare

Post by slater2 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:58 pm

Hello

I've tried for the last 2 days on and off to get Blender to install on both my machines (First-gen G4 mac mini, and G4 Powerbook, both w/1Gb RAM), without a shred of success. It started off so well - hey, blender.org offers DMG files, double-click, drag to Applications, and we're off to 3d heaven!

Not. No-no, blender makes it hard. Not only are there, oh, zero useful docs available (the knowledge base has been just deleted? why not just keep what's around online, with the added disclaimer that it's old info?), no, the docs that ARE available are misleading till kingdom come. But wait, the first question in the installation FAQ deals with the exact problem i'm having! Blender loads, then quits immediately. Why is that? Ah, not enough video ram? No, i know for certain that at least my Pbook has 128Mb VRAM available. So, after countless searches wondering if other people have the same problems, I come across an article (NOT on blender.org or any affiliated sites), that casually mentions the fact that you need Fink (and/or Python? Didn't get that far) installed. Why the poop isn't this mentioned anywhere else?

So I do the ol' Fink rigmarole, restart (which may or may not be necessary, but better safe than sorry eh), lah-dee-dah, blender STILL won't start on any machine.

So, off i go hitting google again, i come across yet another article that mentions I need to dig out my Leopard CD, install the X11 packages, the SDK, etc. etc. ... but after 2 days of going round in circles, i'm at my wit's end.

Why has NOBODY made a .pkg that just installs everything necessary for a smooth blender installation?

Why is information that was once obviously available (Knowledge base) just deleted?

Why are the docs written by people obviously not that well-versed in English? Especially the OS X readme's and other files packaged in the DMG installation file read like some 16-year-old's first attempts at English. Surely there's SOMEONE on the dev team that has a better grasp of English?

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the hard work that's gone into blender's programming, the results speak for themselves, but i feel like I've just run a marathon, only to be shot in the head inches before the finishing line.

I guess I'll wait for a while till blender's OS X efforts have matured a bit.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:50 pm

See wiki.blender.org - the documents are largely up to date, and quite useful.

[QUOTE]I come across an article (NOT on blender.org or any affiliated sites), that casually mentions the fact that you need Fink (and/or Python? Didn't get that far) installed. Why the poop isn't this mentioned anywhere else?[QUOTE]

Because that document is wrong - what you probably did is download the wrong blender version - OS X has python 2.3 as default - you need to download the os x build that is OS X 10.3/10.4 compatible and has python 2.3

All you need is the default pkg from blender.org

LetterRip

slater2

Post by slater2 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:06 pm

LetterRip wrote:See wiki.blender.org - the documents are largely up to date, and quite useful.
Actually, that seems to re-direct to mediawiki.blender.org. The blender.org homepage has this tasty news:
The old wiki.blender.org has been taken offline, due to warnings we received of vulnerability.
Am I really the only one who thinks this is all a bit Mary-Celeste-like? Why isn't the Wiki linked from the homepage? Say for example, in the "Support" menu, where it would be logical to place?
slater2 wrote:I come across an article (NOT on blender.org or any affiliated sites), that casually mentions the fact that you need Fink (and/or Python? Didn't get that far) installed. Why the poop isn't this mentioned anywhere else?
LetterRip wrote:Because that document is wrong - what you probably did is download the wrong blender version - OS X has python 2.3 as default - you need to download the os x build that is OS X 10.3/10.4 compatible and has python 2.3
And why isn't that mentioned anywhere? How hard would it be to add a little sentence next to the download links for that little, but VERY important tid-bit of information? It seems the blender.org people WANT to make the installation as hard as possible?
LetterRip wrote:All you need is the default pkg from blender.org
See response directly above. Why HIDE that information, seemingly on purpose?

Also, I just tried to download the version you suggested (Blender for MacOS PPC, Python 2.3, 10.3+) from the German site, which is the closest download site to my location, and it gave me a lovely error message:
The directory ./topdir/download.blender.org/release/Blender2.42/blender-2.42a-OSX-10.3-py2.3-powerpc.dmg/ does not exist.
Does anybody care about the quality of links on blender.org? Anyone in charge there?

All my ranting aside, after downloading it from the dutch mirror, I now have a functioning Blender on my OS X. Hallelujah, praise Allah, etc.

Thanx, LetterRip! :D

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:03 am

Yep, the website is a mess. We're working on it.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:02 am

glad you got it working,

wiki and mediawiki are one and the same. The message you quote if you look at the date is from October of 2005.
Am I really the only one who thinks this is all a bit Mary-Celeste-like? Why isn't the Wiki linked from the homepage? Say for example, in the "Support" menu, where it would be logical to place?
If you look to the left it is linked under Documentation and under Wiki Documentation. I agree that the layout of the top navigation bar has some things that could definitely be fixed.
See response directly above. Why HIDE that information, seemingly on purpose?
It isn't hidden but I agree it isn't obvious enough. Personally I don't think the python 2.4 version should even be downloadable from the main links since such a small subset of individuals have it (the main exception of course being developers...).
Does anybody care about the quality of links on blender.org?
Yes. Of course things can only be fixed when we are aware they are broken :) Hopefull we will be able to get some more volunteers participating as well.

LetterRip

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 pm

When I look at the download page, I see two clearly labelled downloads for Mac OS X PPC, one for Python 2.3, one for Python 2.4. I'd check what kind of gas my car needed before I started pumping.

While the other critiques of the organization are not far off the mark (using the wiki makes me want to slit my wrists), the initial problem seems to be non-existant.

slater2

Post by slater2 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 pm

harkyman wrote:When I look at the download page, I see two clearly labelled downloads for Mac OS X PPC, one for Python 2.3, one for Python 2.4. I'd check what kind of gas my car needed before I started pumping.
Your analogy is a bit flawed:
Pumping the wrong gas = potentially life-threatening situation.

Downloading the "wrong" version of blender, then reading up that maybe it's because my videocard doesn't have enough RAM?

Talk about misleading.