Face Division

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Genesiiis

Face Division

Post by Genesiiis » Sun May 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi, Is it possible to divide an individual face? I have tried using subdivide but when I subdivide an individual face all ajacent faces are also split. Thanks.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Mon May 07, 2007 9:32 am

It is not possible (yet), as Blender doesn't do n-gons. With work by Briggs on the bMesh it may be possible some day, though.

/Nathan

jeelocked

Face Division

Post by jeelocked » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 am

How much trouble is it worth?

I just subdivided a face by selecting an edge, removing the resulting edges, leaving the origional selected edge subdivided. Do it again for the opposing edge. Trouble is this remove the faces! But the result is the two oppsing edges divided. Face command will now do it's job on the subdivided edges.

Viola!

Face divided!

Let me know if it works for you.

Experiment. Never know what will happen.

A Python script should automate the process - eh? Wish I knew some Python.

Oh well, fun even without it.

Pete
jeelocked
COGITO ERGO ZOOM

Sphere

There are workarounds for most every issue.

Post by Sphere » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:51 am

Try going into face select mode, select the face, SHIFTD, grab ZZ (or XX or YY) then subdivide.

Once you like it, delete the original face, and replace it with the new subdivided face.

When you grab ZZ, use an even multiple like 10, so it's easy to put the new face back in the hole.

Obviologist

Here is how

Post by Obviologist » Wed May 29, 2013 9:32 pm

One method you could use to device a face in only one direction is to go to edit mode, in edge select mode, select two faces that are opposite each other on the face you want to divide, and use W>subdivide, it will put one edge cutting across the face between the two edges that you selected, without dividing the face into quarters etc. for example if you have a plane, and want to put an edge going across the face along the x axis, then select the edges on the left side and right side of the face, subdivide and presto, one fresh edge across the face of the plane dividing that face square in half.