Wing trailing edge

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jeelocked

Wing trailing edge

Post by jeelocked »

Learning stuff . . .
I've drawn an aircraft wing.
I have assigned no texture.

I'm exploring settings including lamps and lighting, looking for metallic surface, sunlight , blue sky with orange sunset sky cast, fresnel effecfts, hotspots etc . . .

Thing looks good except. . . The trailing edge does not appeare sharp when viewed in render winodow. It is sharp in cross section, as a normal wing should/would be. That is to say, the root and the tip section are sharp at the trailing edge. Infact the tip section is a 30% scale of the root section. (I have not attempted a section cut at mid span to inquire. Can DO?)

How come the trailing edge appeares rounded? ? Am I missing something? One buttons panel says somesthing agbout angle beteen faces. This doesn not seem to apply since no setting that I have found changes the rounded appaearance of the trailng edge one whit. The traling edge is slightly less than 2 degrees with zero radius in cross section. Will a texture cure the problem?

Why a rounded traling edge?

jeelocked
COGITO ERGO ZOOM

Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

An image would be nice...

jeelocked

Re: Wing trailing edge

Post by jeelocked »

jeelocked wrote:Learning stuff . . .

I'm exploring settings including lamps and lighting, looking for metallic surface, sunlight , blue sky with orange sunset sky cast, fresnel effecfts, hotspots etc . . .

Thing looks good except. . . The trailing edge does not appeare sharp when viewed in render winodow. It is sharp in cross section, as a normal wing should/would be. That is to say, the root and the tip section are sharp at the trailing edge. Infact the tip section is a 30% scale of the root section. (I have not attempted a section cut at mid span to inquire. Can DO?)

How come the trailing edge appeares rounded? ? Am I missing something? One buttons panel says somesthing agbout angle beteen faces. This doesn not seem to apply since no setting that I have found changes the rounded appaearance of the trailng edge one whit. The traling edge is slightly less than 2 degrees with zero radius in cross section. Will a texture cure the problem?

jeelocked

In response to request for a picture. . .
Sorry for the delay.

I've attached the file.
The view is outboard of the fin and to the rear of the wing. the trialng edhe is thus in view. All objects are selected (for rotation) and consequently the trailgedge is highlighted. Hope this is how you'll be seeing it. If the view is not as I indicate rotate the assembledge. It should become evident that a sharp trailng edge does not show. Hope this helps.

Also I'm still not familiar with the format here so bear with me. . .

jeelocked
COGITO ERGO ZOOM

Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

I don't see that view when i open your file.

But here are some tips for you that apply to 3d generally in order to avoid problems like those:

- work with quads, eventually tris;
- try to avoid using poles if possible;
- you have some buttons "set smooth" and "set solid" which you can set per object or per element (edge) ;)
- an object not necessarily means a single mesh ;) you have internal parts of meshes that are pointless and in fact create bigger poles may cause issues.
Last edited by Dread Knight on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeelocked

Post by jeelocked »

Dread Knight wrote:
jeelocked wrote:
jeelocked wrote:Learning stuff . . .

jeelocked

In response to request for a picture. . .
Sorry for the delay.

I've attached the file.
The view is outboard of the fin and to the rear of the wing. the trialng edhe is thus in view. All objects are selected (for rotation) and consequently the trailgedge is highlighted. Hope this is how you'll be seeing it. If the view is not as I indicate rotate the assembledge. It should become evident that a sharp trailng edge does not show. Hope this helps.

Also I'm still not familiar with the format here so bear with me. . .

jeelocked

But here are some tips for you that apply to 3d generally in order to avoid problems like those:

- you have some buttons "set smooth" and "set solid" which you can set per object or per element (edge) ;)
- an object not necessarily means a single mesh ;) you have internal parts of meshes that are pointless and in fact create bigger poles may cause issues.

Sorry dread,
I sent you a file direct, but the image in the forum was in fact missing.

a) Did yiou get my emial - was the file in it?
b) Or are you refering to the forum post...?

I don't see any posts with images. I assume then that they are sent as attachments?

[img] From the message body options is as far as I get in attempting an attachment.

I find computers and software to be a humbling environment.
This in spite of some skill in AutoCAD including AutoLISP.

Where might i find the Q&A's on the subject of images?

Thanks for your kind attention to this point.

Oh and one more question if I may - what are 'poles' in this context?

Also, a regular old aircraft wing simply lends itself to quads rather then triangles in the process of design (extrusion of an airfoil and scaling one end). With minor changes in mind I am reluctant to redo it into a bunch triangels. (even assuming it is an automatinc process - which I haven't looked for yet...)

looking forward to reply

jelocked

[/img]
COGITO ERGO ZOOM

Dread Knight

Post by Dread Knight »

- an object not necessarily means a single mesh ;) you have internal parts of meshes that are pointless and in fact create bigger poles may cause issues.[/quote]

Sorry dread,
I sent you a file direct, but the image in the forum was in fact missing.

a) Did yiou get my emial - was the file in it?
b) Or are you refering to the forum post...?

I don't see any posts with images. I assume then that they are sent as attachments?

[img] From the message body options is as far as I get in attempting an attachment.

I find computers and software to be a humbling environment.
This in spite of some skill in AutoCAD including AutoLISP.

Where might i find the Q&A's on the subject of images?

Thanks for your kind attention to this point.

Oh and one more question if I may - what are 'poles' in this context?

Also, a regular old aircraft wing simply lends itself to quads rather then triangles in the process of design (extrusion of an airfoil and scaling one end). With minor changes in mind I am reluctant to redo it into a bunch triangels. (even assuming it is an automatinc process - which I haven't looked for yet...)

looking forward to reply

jelocked

[/img][/quote]

Yes, I've received your e-mail with the blend file, that's why i pointed out the problems in your mesh.
Poles are verts where more than 4 edges meet, you should avoid poles. A good example is a sphere which has 2 of them.

For images you can upload an image on the internet and place the link to it between the tags:

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
Or you can use sites like www.imageshack.us or www.imageox.com
which are image hosts with lots of options and even provide you with autogenerated code syntax in order to post images to show up in forums, either full or as thumbnails which lead to the full image size.

You should try using only quads, avoid tris... unlike other 3d packages, blender doesn't have n-gons (faces with more than 5 edges).
Anyway, you should research more about a good mesh topology, i will be back with some articles which helped me...
Last edited by Dread Knight on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiv

Post by stiv »

You guys really should take this thread over to blenderartists.org or a similar user forum. You will get much more help there on using Blender. No comment on the insane quoting!

The forums here are about Blender itself; this one specifically about Blender's documentation and Blender in Education.

Answers for New Users