Blender 2.5 and translation

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

silentpolygon

Blender 2.5 and translation

Post by silentpolygon »

Hello everybody,

Right now the first images of what blender will look like are going online and I'm more than very impressed. I use Blender now for over 3 years but this release will absolutely ROCK!!!

I have some questions.

Right now im translating the wiki documentation into german and i thought if it will be better to just translate blender itself. There are translations but just some buttons are translated and most of the Tooltips are not. The point is that it is quite difficult to localize it right now as the system with the *.po files isnt exactly userfriendly. So the big question is:

Are there any plans to make translation easier?
In other words:
Will Blender 2.5 use the same localisation system as Blender 2.48?
Are there any Lists or something else that indicate what words to use for several english words to avoid using two words for the same thing/function?

Thanks in advance
Thorsten

franzrogar

Post by franzrogar »

Hi Thorsten,

I tried to do a full GUI translation for 2.36 but all my work was useless.

The main question is not if .po are hard to edit (there're some graphical tools very user-friendly), the question is: is there any developer interested in add *real* i10n support?

There're too many source files which we must not translate but they're not identify, so I had to add all of them... which ended in a huge .po file plenty of trash strings.

Also, there's another problems. Like the Language pop-up box which printf sentence is bad formed (to be translated, I mean), so you have to hand-edit and create from-scratch one string for each language listed there so gettext can take use of them.

Some kind of buttons that can't be translated (even if there's a proper string in the .po file).

And go on, go on, go on.

If you take a look to sources, you'll see there's no work done on i10n for Blender 2.50 and that's a pity: a good tool only available to English-speackers. And yes, the private 3D programs has localized versions (I don't remember which developer answered me that it wasn't important and, therefore, I should keep in English. This answer was 4-5 years ago).

For 2.50 I suggest just remove all that trash in the po folder and create a new, fresh file. There're even translations which use strings from 2.30 and older releases.

stiv

Post by stiv »

you'll see there's no work done on i10n for Blender 2.50 and that's a pity
The point of the 2.50 release is to redo Blender's event handling. This in itself is a large task because it affects so many things internally. One huge job at a time, please!

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

For 2.5 there will be work on font/text drawing in Blender. This bring some improvements for i10n and such, but it will be not complete. Probably the best time to start working on this again is after a first stable release of Blender 2.5

/Nathan

franzrogar

Post by franzrogar »

Thanks for your replies.

Wasn't also being redesigned how is drawn the interface itself? ;-)

One of the major problems with the "old" interface is this: the "spinner" (it's called that way in Essential Blender book) box wasn't translated because a bad design in its implementation (it never used gettext to show up text).

That's why I think i10n should be take in account now that there's a refactoring in the GUI... just to avoid thinks like that may happen in a near future.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

From what I understand is that all text drawing from interface elements will go through one centralized function, which supports localization.

If you go on IRC in #blendercoders on the freenode network, try contacting user with nick bdiego. He's working on the font drawing code.

/Nathan

GrizzLyCRO

Post by GrizzLyCRO »

Just one other point of view.
As far as my experience goes with localization,i only had trouble with it.

I was almost completely lost, mostly because there are not exact translations for some words. Once friend called me to fix his computer, and he had croatian translation of Windows. I was very, very confused.
It took me at least 2x time to fix, only because i couldn't get what some phrases mean.
I don't know for the rest of you people, but applications written in my native language are something that i avoid as much as it is possible.
In best case it will just feel odd and weird.
However there might be people which prefer localized applications, there might even be few which can only use localized versions, i am pretty convinced that they are in minority.

And as people already stated, this is and should be something to look forward after 2.5.