Blender3d.org Education and Resources Section

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mthoenes

Blender3d.org Education and Resources Section

Post by mthoenes »

A Plan underway to add to Blender3d.org Education Section

1. - Add Syllabus for Learning/Teaching Tutorials - mthoenes

2. - Create a Blender Text Book for Learning/Teaching - ManO

3. - Include Tutorials from Community and Oldsite formatted to have a common look and feel. - mthoenes, bobthevirus

4. - Provide links to off-site tutorials

5. - Add training Videos - mthoenes

6. - Collection of models- ?

7. - Texture collection - ?

8. - Materials collection - ?

9. - Provide clear links to Knowledgebase and Elysiun Q&A forums

1. Tutorials

For organization, I was impressed with the way Cinema4d organized thier tutorials (Check out www.maxon.net) into core techniques and tips and then into project based tutorials. I propose we do the same. I will begin to set up an outline on my web space. home.att.net\~blender\

2. Textbook
3. Videos
Regarding the videos.
I have done several(mthoenes) , but I have been experimenting with the format, so my plan is to start over using a common approach. I plan to do many short videos, hopefully 1 to 2 minutes each covering the basics.
DivX 5 compression, 640 x 480, I am not going to kill myself about being overly professional.... My students told me they actually prefer it when I make mistakes and keep on going. It helps them to know what to do when they make the same mistake.

Here's my list to start. Each of these should have an intermediate/advanced version too.

Blender Core Functions, Tips, techniques:

Basic: What am I looking at - Blender start up screen.
Basic: Using the Mouse in Blender, Settings for 2 Button Mouse
Basic: Adding and Manipulating Objects ((S)cale,(R)otate,(G)rab)
Basic: Blender Button and Slider Basics
Basic: Adjusting Windows - Modifying the interface, Zoom and Drag Windows/toolbars
Basic: View Controls- Numpad views, window translation, home, center, rotation
Basic: Adding Lights
-Intermediate: Lighting types and controls
Basic: Rendering and image saving
Basic: Save and Open files
-Intermediate: Navigating the Blender File Windows incl. rename, remove,
Basic: What? No Undo Button - Blender version save and temp save
Basic: Adding a Material to an Object
Intermediate: Multi-materials on an Object
Basic: Animation, Time settings, Key frames,
Basic: Rendering and saving an Animation
Basic: Layer Controls
Basic: 3D Viewport - Introduction
Basic: Ipo Curve Editor - Introduction
Basic: Action Editor - Introduction
Basic: NLA Editor - Introduction
Basic: UV/Image editor - Introduction
Basic: Video Sequence Editor - Introduction
Basic: Audio Timeline - Introduction
Basic: Text Editor - Introduction
Basic: User Preferences - Introduction
Basic: OOPS Schematic - Introduction
Basic: Buttons Windows - Introduction
Basic: Image Browser - Introduction
Basic: File Browser
Basic: Edit Mode, Hide, reveal, proportional Edit
Basic: Joining and Separating Objects
Basic: Boolean Operations
Basic: Extrude, Spin, SpinDup
Basic: Curves
Basic: Surfaces
Basic: Nurbs
Basic: Metaballs
Basics: Armatures and pose mode
Intermediate: Armatures, parenting types
Intermediate: Armatures, skinning and vertex groups
Intermediate: Armatures, Weight Painting
Intermediate: FK, IK, Constraints
Intermediate: Action Constraints
Intermediate: ?

And the list goes on. I guess I will work on those and then go back and fill in what is missing.

Project Based Tutorials - these would be longer: (Many possibilities here)

Intermediate: Setting Key frame animations, view Keys, Ipo curve types
Intermediate: Modeling a House
Intermediate: Model and animate a robot with bone Parenting
Advanced: Modeling a head
Advanced: Character rigging

[/url]

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

Ye i will start collecting textures and the like, i would implement them into a blender file, so they could be appended, but i cant seem to texture any good in blender. I will work on it, i will try and create some bump maps and other useful things.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

leinad13

Texture Collection

Post by leinad13 »

Ye i will start collecting textures and the like, i would implement them into a blender file, so they could be appended, but i cant seem to texture any good in blender. I will work on it, i will try and create some bump maps and other useful things.

Will the content be managed by a content manager like phpNuke or whatever? If you liked i could also help with this.

Leinad13
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

diz

Post by diz »

Hello mthoenes!

Did you have a look at my suggestion of doing a blender ressouce gathering web platform that I suggested here:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=1619

It would be great if we can coordinate ourselves to build up something easy and powerful to use. That's really hard to do well, but if we work together it may be better. As leinad13 asked, do you want to do some php-like coding or more a complete index of great blender ressources?

I'm sorry for no more in depth suggestions, but as I'm in the exam stress right now, I don't have a lot of time (yet). ;)

Gabriel

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

diz,
I welcome your help.....Do well on your exams first!
I looked at your thread and will read the whole thing later. Right now I am mostly interested in gathering and formating selected resources to put on the Blender3d.org sites education pages. This includes resources such as models and textures and community tutorials.

There are several systems in place which need to be explored before creating something new, plus tons of material on the old Blender site to resurrect.

I welcome your suggestions. I do not know php and database stuff.

More later.

bobthevirus

Post by bobthevirus »

Yay.... Exams are finished, I can finally get back to doing some tuts.....

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

Bobthevirus,
Glad to hear you are done. Congratulations.

If you have time, could you create a list of titles with links to the tutorials that have been offered for our use on the site including those that are at the old Blender site.

Please organise them in a manner similar to what they have at
http://www.maxoncomputer.com/tutorial_main.asp

We can begin to get some organization and then assign tutorial reformatting to those who have time to work on them. '

The format conversion should continued to focus on the core techniques tutorials first and then proceeded to the project based tutorials. The list will help us to see where we are lacking material, then we can request tutorials to fill those gaps and even request that the authors make an effort to convert to a common format for submission. For this reason, I want to keep the format simple.

This would be a big help.

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

Update: 062503

Paul at http://www.pablosbrain.com/school/ has offered his excellent education materials for use on Blender3d.org. This is some fantastic Blender Basic stuff.

Update: 062503: Ton has given me some parameters for space and usage on the server for Blender3d.org. He is also arranging access to the server so I can add the content. Looks like this all may actually happen! It is encouraging!

For those helping, please post your content on space you have available, I will pull from there. If necessary, I will give you access to some of my web space. Let me know if you need this.

malefico

Post by malefico »

I will gladly collaborate with you.

I'm in the process of converting/formatting all my previous tutorials (available at my site) to Docbook.

If you have developed a layout/stylesheet to uniform the docs, and want me to use it, please send it to me, or tell me which format you'll need to do the formatting.

Cheers.

malefico

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

malefico,
I took a look at a couple of your tutorials, I will look at more as time permits. The format for http://argoslabs.com/~malefico/tutor/skies.html
is close to what we need. Simple, resizeable window layout, Images centered or to the right.

I would like to break out the steps with Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, headers where appropriate. Also want to give the images figure names for conversion into a Blender-internal file.

Also I want to aim for a consistent use of hotkey indications. See the 2.0 manual html. It uses IKEY, LMB, RMB, CKEY, UPARROW, ALT-A, Etc. (bold, all uppercase)

A listing of your tutorials by category with links would help a great deal.

This is what I found on your site:
1. The Camera A few things that you should know about it in Blender.

2. Skies - I Basic things to know about "World" buttons to make a nice sky without spheres.

3. Skies - II A little deeper in the sky...plus some animations.

4. Subsurf Modelling To start with this powerful modelling technique.

5. Focusing A brief summary of different methods to get Depth of Field within Blender.

6. Blender Multimedia How to add sound tracks to our animations... without spending money.

7. Constrained Mechanics How to make simple working mechanisms with Blender.

8. NLA ? What is Non Linear Animation anyway ?

9. Walking Blues Make your character follow paths with NLA

I will focus on getting my templates finalized, my goal is to keep things simple for everyone involved.

diz

Post by diz »

I would also find it great if we can set up a few documentation uniformization guide lines.

What I would love is:
- use docbook (other blender heads already seem to already want to use it for the documentation, but I've no more information on this).
- use a uniform keyboard description that can also make the difference between keys pushed at the same time and a sequence (such as ALT-A or ALT-S / 2).
- use a clear notation about who worked on the tutorial, so all the people that have the right for a copyright, plus the license under which it is published (GNU free doc, LAL free art, blender license, strict copyright, public domain, ...) that may be very useful for further reproduction of it, or integration into a linux (or whatever) distribution.
- suggest a writing style, how to structurate the tutorials and other hints that may be useful to think about for the future tutorial writers.
- suggest an elegant and easy way to indicate stuff on the screenshots.

The aim would be to push tutorial authors to make material that can be reused and that are abstracted from the layout. The newly written (or re-written) tutorials shouldn't contain any layout specification, only structural specifications. Like that they can be published into any useful way (paper print, blender3d.or layout, personal layout, ...).

Gabriel

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

Diz wrote:
I would also find it great if we can set up a few documentation uniformization guide lines.
Diz, I agree. It is also vital to keep it simple as well. A html table or single column page is simple and anyone who has created a web page has figured this out. I will propose some basic guidlines and I welcome feedback. Or you may propose some quidelines. Look to imitate what is done in the 2.0 Manual documentation - let's not reinvent things please.

I personally do not have time to learn docbook right now.

notation about who worked on the tutorial,
I think the original author should get the credit. I think editing should be allowed to make corrections and clarification.

some kind of licence would be good. I would prefer all tutorial content to be free for any educational or personal use reproduction. Someone pick the license that fits. I want to concentrate on gathering and formatting and creating content for the community.

Keep making your suggestions please.

diz

Post by diz »

mthoenes wrote:Diz, I agree. It is also vital to keep it simple as well. A html table or single column page is simple and anyone who has created a web page has figured this out. I will propose some basic guidlines and I welcome feedback. Or you may propose some quidelines. Look to imitate what is done in the 2.0 Manual documentation - let's not reinvent things please.
I totally agree to the let's not reinvent things! But I would also find it great if we can abstract things from the layout. That may save a lot of time for the future and thus stick even better (IMHO) to the let's not reinvent things logic.

Docbook is just an appliction of XML. It uses a few very basic tags such as <title> <chapter> <para> and so on and thus should be quick to learn for people knowing HTML. Here's the doc:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/

What is great with XML is that thanks to XSL scripts, it is easily possible to convert a XML structured document to any format (such as HTML, PS, RTF, etc). The aim of docbook is not to have defined XML tags, and then also a few XSL scripts to translate XML to different HTML layouts or to other formats. Later when we'll have time, I would suggest we do a Blender specific script to translate the things in the exact HTML (and PS+PDF) layout we want (I could do that).

I don't want to break you in your enthousiasm, but I'm just convinced about abstracting the document content from the document layout. That's why I suggest you XML, but that's just my humble opinion. As you seem to be doing great work, and now you heard my opinion, if you still think HTML is the best solution for you, then go on with it. After all I think that it's still better to reach a result than eternally discuss on how it should be done.
mthoenes wrote:I think the original author should get the credit. I think editing should be allowed to make corrections and clarification.
Yes, that's evident that the original author should get the credit of the content. But if there need to be corrections or additions, for eg. because something changed in a new version of Blender. Then the corrector may also get some credit (with the mention of the section that were changed), as well as the people that did the layout or other stuff (but still with the mention of what they did).

I also agree that we should use a GPL compatible license (this means that the license must allow anyone to distribute, change and redistribute the changed material), so that the documentation can easily be distributed with the Blender. The two most evident solutions for that are either the GNU FDL, or the Blender Open Content License (that aims to be compatible with the GPL and to be more optimized for also distributing images and .blend files). So I suggest the Blender OCL by default, but the author must be asked and must agree. Because he has the right to remain the full control of the redistribution or to put any other license on his work.

It's really important to precise the license of the material we use, and that must systematically done to any document that is aimed to be distributed (otherwise it is implicitely strictly copyrighted to it's author).

Gabriel

Elsdon

Post by Elsdon »

mthoenes,
I have over 1000 (thousand) textures that I have collected over the years. They are already sorted into groups (wood, metal, paint. stone. floors. walls etc.) and they are all from royalty free sources. I would be more than happy to put them into the pot.

I also have about 400 models ranging from furniture to misc objects like lamps, license plates, desk stuff candle holders chalices, (the list goes on) and as I seldom use a model more than once I would also donate many of them to the cause.

You can see many of both used in my gallery. (Link is in my profile.)
Check it out when time allows and let me know.

Always willing to help
Elsdon

mthoenes

Post by mthoenes »

Update 070703:

As things go in the world of volunteer developers, I can see that it is easy to get side tracked with life. I encourge all to hang in there.

-I now have access to the Blender3d.org testing server and the Blender 3d.org site. This will help to define the organization of files for an easy integration.

-I have not prepared the templates etc. as promised yet but will strive to do so. ( New baby on the way - had to get a wall and door built :)

-regarding texture and model resources. After discussing resources with Broken and Ton, It is my our positon to hold off on any texture or model sections for lack of time to maintain them. These areas will continue to be included as links to your sites. If you have resources to offer online please let me know.

-Work on the syllabus is continuing and will form the basis for the organization of the education page.

There will be
- A beginner level learning path - to learn or teach Blender
- A Blender Tools and techniques tutorials section.
(ie. Model a Vase with the Spin tool)
- A project based tutorials section
(ie. Model and Decal a Car)

A basic level tutorial may suggest that the user continue on to a more in-depth intermediate tutorial.

It will not be the goal of the education section to maintian an exhaustive list of tutorials on the web. However links to well- organized and current tutorials will be given , especially to fill gaps in the overall education section. Links will also be given to more comprehensive tutorial lists such as the one a elysiun.

- Regarding XML vs. HTML, etc.... I can see the advantages of XML, however, In order to pull things together quickly from existing HTML sources, I plan to just proceed wsith html tutorials. If any one can suggest a good non-coders tool for creating xml pages. please do so.

Well that is it for now, my paying Job calls.